• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stable on OCCT but Prime95 errors on Blend, None on Small

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Showbe

Registered
I do the OCCT Stress test on the LinPack option at 90% Ram and the OCCT test, both passing. I also run 20 instances of Intel Burn Test at High Settings and it passes/stable also.

When I run Prime95 and it will do fine at the 1000k tests but once it begins doing the 8k CPU tests it will error when it is at 10k around 30-40 minutes in when it starts the tests for that. These were on the Blend Tests.

But when I run just the Small FFT's it is stable and gives me no errors at the 10k or during any test.

Temperatures on max load on Prime95/OCCT while Stress testing is 51-55 C. At Idle depending if its day/night 35-40 C

e8jvao.jpg
Here is CPU-Z CPU tab.
2yjy4pj.jpg

Last edited:
You may know this already but the Prime95 blend test is the default and it stresses the ram more than the other stress tester's do, at least when they are on default settings. Most of them can be customized to use more or less ram, however. I know the Intel Burn test can.

Also, and perhaps more important, I see your NB speed is slower than your HT Link speed. I think almost by definition the HT Link is supposed to be no higher than the CPUNB (or just "NB").

What is your max rated memory frequency? If you had attached a pic of the CPU-z "SPD" tab that information would have been displayed as well as ram manufacturer's recommended voltages and timings for your ram at various frequencies.

suv79g.jpg
corsair vengeance ddr3 2x 4 gb sticks

You may know this already but the Prime95 blend test is the default and it stresses the ram more than the other stress tester's do, at least when they are on default settings. Most of them can be customized to use more or less ram, however. I know the Intel Burn test can.

Also, and perhaps more important, I see your NB speed is slower than your HT Link speed. I think almost by definition the HT Link is supposed to be no higher than the CPUNB (or just "NB").

What is your max rated memory frequency? If you had attached a pic of the CPU-z "SPD" tab that information would have been displayed as well as ram manufacturer's recommended voltages and timings for your ram at various frequencies.

What in the BIOS do I change to do that? I have something for HT set at 2400 ghz and I think one that says NB is at 2200 ghz

It's the HT Link frequency, not the HT Link Width or the HT Reference you want to change. They are easy to get confused. The HT Link frequency adjustment may be presented as a multiplier (should be set to 11x for 2200) or as an actual frequency.

bios-adv.jpg

120830005903.png

Thats how my bios looks like it might be missing is the Dram timings that isnt shown in between and a couple of spread spectrum things that dont control the things your talking about. I dont have a multiplier but I believe I read on this site that i guess its built into the figures I choose?|
This is where I found the first Screen shot at and if you scroll down below the picture I posted that was from this site you will see it says something about a multiplier where I put that setting at.
http://ixbtlabs.com/articles3/mainboard/asus-m5a97-m5a99x-p3.html

Just for future references when someone says something about the multiplier is that what I should change?

At "HT Link Speed" and "CPU/NB Speed" it goes in Ghz. It has Auto then it goes from like 1800 all the way to 2800

"HT Link Speed" is the one you want. It's in the top pic. Take it off of "Auto".

If you have both CPU NB Frequency and HT Link Speed set to auto they ought to be running at the same speed, 2200 mhz I think. Make sure the OC Tuner option is on Manual.

So, I'm confused. Does the top picture represent your own bios? It sounds like your saying you borrowed that top picture from somewhere. Why don't you take a pictures of that whole AI Tweaker section of your own bios. You need to scroll up and down using the slider in white on the right hand edge.

The multiplier I spoke of is called "CPU Ratio" in your pic. You need to realize there is no way on earth we can know exactly what terminology your particular bios utilizes unless we happen to have the same motherboard.

Please give us more information about your system: Make and model of motherboard, make, model and wattage of PSU, brand and speed rating of your ram, make and model of your CPU cooler, make and model of your video card, make and model of your case.

how to screenshot the bios.
shut computor down, insert flash drive, press f12 key, press enter.

AND it will capture a file about 2.5Mbs in size of the 'area' you are actually viewing in the bios at that time. It does not capture parts that are 'only' revealed after a scroll. At least that is how my CHV does it.

I tried that i have no flash drive and it just keeps saying to put one in. I tried with my external HD and it just keeps saying the same.

If it is stable on Intel Burn Test and OCCT but craps out on Prime95 is that ok? I have heard so many mixed things on Prime 95 that its old or its good then people saying its out of date and to use other stress test programs. If it passes the other 2 is their anything I could be risking if it fails on Prime95? My temperatures never get above 53 c or around there also.

Try Intel Burn test again but change "Standard" to "Very High" or whatever in the options for using more ram.

If it is stable on Intel Burn Test and OCCT but craps out on Prime95 is that ok? I have heard so many mixed things on Prime 95 that its old or its good then people saying its out of date and to use other stress test programs. If it passes the other 2 is their anything I could be risking if it fails on Prime95? My temperatures never get above 53 c or around there also.

I have heard that old BS about old or out of date for YEARS now. It is alway that way when they cannot get their crap to run with P95. I tweak my stuff to where it will work with either of the three stressers you mention. Had you n0t said it fails on one and passes the other it would have been a non-issue but when you say you pass one and not another, that could mean there is a program that you might use that could make issue. That is about how that thing goes.

Try Intel Burn test again but change "Standard" to "Very High" or whatever in the options for using more ram.

I said that in my original post..

Pass OCCT on regular test and the Linpack test. Also pass 20 instances on Intel Burn Test at max ram. Also pass on the small FFT's test but not Blend Test on Prime 95.

And the poster above me you said basically the same thing over again from the start n end. I dont know what you are talking about.

I said that in my original post..

Pass OCCT on regular test and the Linpack test. Also pass 20 instances on Intel Burn Test at max ram. Also pass on the small FFT's test but not Blend Test on Prime 95.

And the poster above me you said basically the same thing over again from the start n end. I dont know what you are talking about.

Yep, you did say that now that I reread your first post. What happens if you try to run the Intel Burn test on max for 40 minutes instead of 20 minutes. Let's compare apples to apples.

Last edited:
Back