• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stock cooler isn't enough for the Q8400

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So you are back up running. Do you still have CPU heat problems?

Is the CPU fan 3 or 4 wire? Is the CPU fan header 3 or 4 pin?

Is this the OEM cooler that ships with the Q8400? Intel supplied different coolers for different CPUs. If you are using the cooler that was intended for a lesser CPU then it may be inadequate.

So you are back up running. Do you still have CPU heat problems?

Is the CPU fan 3 or 4 wire? Is the CPU fan header 3 or 4 pin?

4 Pins.

Is this the OEM cooler that ships with the Q8400? Intel supplied different coolers for different CPUs. If you are using the cooler that was intended for a lesser CPU then it may be inadequate.

Im not sure since i found this PC in the street, But it looks like the stock cooler for this CPU, Its the fat aluminium heatsink with copper bottom

Last edited:
Yes, but even those stock Intel coolers differed from one another in the mass and height of the heat sink itself and the power of the fan.

id certainly be choosing a copper bottom cooler stock cooler over a all aluminium stock cooler,

Yes, but even those stock Intel coolers differed from one another in the mass and height of the heat sink itself and the power of the fan.

Sadly i dont know if its the stock one for this :/, But i will try to ghetto-mount the aftermarket cooler i found.
EDIT : I found this cooler model and im dying from the annimation on the top of the page :rofl: http://www.evercool.com.tw/products/hpf.htm

They did? I thought there was only one care type intel cooler... well two.. one with the copper slug, one without. The fan also differrs?

They did? I thought there was only one care type intel cooler... well two.. one with the copper slug, one without. The fan also differrs?
From what i know there's 3, slim one, fat one, and a fat one with copper buttom.

- - - Updated - - -

a simple coolermaster evo 212 or 212x will leave it for dead

No budget at all. :-/

Im talking about the circular cooler only, not the tower from a couple years back. There is the all aluminum and the one with the copper slug in the middle. But AFAIK, all fans are the same.

There is a larger one, the TS15A, but it doesn't come with processors. It is a separate purchase.

I've got a box full of Intel OEM coolers. One is much larger and heavier than the others but it appears to be a socket 775 model and the others are probably for the later Intel sockets.

Back