• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Strange behaviour when deactivating HD audio in bios

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Valgua

Registered
Hi!

While troubleshooting a boot freeze issue, I disabled HD Audio in bios (I have an Asus Z170 Pro Gaming) intending to use my corsair usb headset. I saved and exited and something weird happened. The screen got dark and I had to wait a really long time for boot to proceed. Even weirder, all reboots fail and I have to turn off the pc by pressing on the on/off button. These effects go away if I enable HD audio again. Has anybody else experienced this? Should I get rid of my motherboard?

Is your monitor connected with HDMI (high definition media interface)? If so I can see how Windows might hiccup a little when sorting out that audio is *NOT* supposed to be sent over the HDMI cable but video *IS*. Just a guess, but I hope it helps :)

Is your monitor connected with HDMI (high definition media interface)? If so I can see how Windows might hiccup a little when sorting out that audio is *NOT* supposed to be sent over the HDMI cable but video *IS*. Just a guess, but I hope it helps :)

That's a smart guess! I will try to get my hands on a DVI Cable and give it a go. Thanks!

Update: Actually, I WAS connected through DVI. I tested to change to HDMI and the behaviour persists. It doesn't seem connected to Windows, but rather to the motherboard.

Try disabling HD audio in the Device Manager before the BIOS. Just another guess, but pretty much the same reason, Windows is trying to load drivers for a device that isnt there causing a hiccup. After that Im out of ideas :)

Try disabling HD audio in the Device Manager before the BIOS. Just another guess, but pretty much the same reason, Windows is trying to load drivers for a device that isnt there causing a hiccup. After that Im out of ideas :)

Thanks for your time! I really appreciate it! The suggestion is good but it does not work. I will probably RMA the mobo (having one year left on the warranty and considering the freezes I on boot I have experienced the last month). It's a shame, as I had such a high regard for Asus cards.

Thanks for your time! I really appreciate it! The suggestion is good but it does not work. I will probably RMA the mobo (having one year left on the warranty and considering the freezes I on boot I have experienced the last month). It's a shame, as I had such a high regard for Asus cards.

Is this the Rig where Intel told you to try Hot Plug setting in Bios?

Back