• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Strange CPU temps **Please help**

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MrRon

Hi, This is my first post, please bare with me.

I have just finished changing my watercooled system and having some issues with temperatures on the CPU.

My system is
i7 2600k (3.4ghz Stock at the moment)
Sabertooth Z77 Motherboard
16GB Corsair Vengeance
EVGA GTX 780

Cooling:-
XSPC Raystorm CPU Waterlock
Aquacomputers GPU Block
Primochill Compression reservoir
Laing DDC pump
1x 480 Rad 1 x 240 Rad
6 x Gentle Typhoon fans on Rads

pump - 480 Rad - GPU - Res - 240 Rad - CPU

I am getting (on the CPU) around 38-42c at idle and 70-75c with Prime95
GPU idle is 25-28c - 37-39c (using heaven benchmark)

I cant seem to work out why my graphics card has such a cool temp but CPU (at stock settings) is very hot.

I have reseated the CPU block several times and reapplied TIM several times to try and rectify.

What am I missing, what can be causing high temps on CPU.

any help anyone can give is very much appreciated, I have been pulling my hair out trying to figure out what is up.

I will try and attach a couple of photos of my system if that helps.

Thank you for reading this. :confused:

IMG_2838_zpsdc41256b.jpg

ONe thing I notice, that should not be affecting performance, is that your res should be in before the pump in the loop, that way, your pump doesnt run dry and gets an adequate amount of liquid. That block isnt great, but I still feel your temps should be lower.

OCFinsertimages.png

I didnt have a SB so I dont know what is normal for these . What did you get when you where on air (Under load).

One thing to check is that you are entering the cpu block on the right barb , pretty sure normaly it is the one right over the center of the CPU .

Hi,
Thank you for your swift reply.
It is entering on the IN port to the right of the block.

I was getting around 35-40 idle and 65-70 (I had a B Quite Dark Rock air cooler)

If I try and overclock the CPU its goes over 80-85 very quickly. This is why I have left it at stock speeds until I resolve this problem.

thank you

using Arctic Silver 5.
I have tried several times with re-applying from a small rice size piece to more like pea size just to see if I can get it to change. To be honest each different amount did not seem to make a change to temps.

Are you sure your thumbscrews are tight enough?
you are sure your pump is running ?
Your voltage is set in bios not on auto ?

Can you take a picture of the WB after you take it off so we can see what the spread on the tim looks like ?

What are you using to read the temps ?(current version of core temp ? )

Double check that the block is tightened properly. The Raystorm block has a lot of bow to it, so if its too loose temps will go way up.

martinsliquidlab said:
XSPC is a bit unique from others in that their thumbscrew system ALSO has an additional thumb nut. The idea is that you tighten the thumbscrew down until it stops, then tighten the nut below to add tension. I do see two drawbacks to this system though. The first is for new users that could use more guidance on how much to tighten each corner (How much is enough?) etc.

Stupid question but, you took the plastic off the block before you mounted it right?

Hi,

I have just checked Voltage, Its set at 1.10 (not Auto)
I have rechecked thumb screws several times. at different tightness.
yeah pump seems to be fine. (it keeps the GPU very cold)

I am off to bed now as I am in the UK. I will post a pic of the TIM on Block tomorrow.

thank you for your help

I've been pondering over your build and I think it looks great but I have a sinking suspision that your cpu to 240 to res is simply circulating around in itself. Hard to see but it looks like you have three inputs into the res. Your 240 to cpu to res could be just circulating warm water instead of being pushed through the whole loop. Like I said, I can't see very clearly the portion behind the res but that'd be my guess. That's all I can think of at the moment.

hi,

Thank you for your reply. I see what you mean but I only have 2 pipes connected to the Res (both at the Bottom)

After much confusion I decided to drain my system and recheck all things.
I have found that my 240 Rad seems to possibly have a slight blockage. I have flushed it through and found a fair amount of what appears to be iron filings (very small metal debris) but a fair amount of it. (strange as is brand new) Alphacool Rad.

I am going to put it all back together now and see if this helps.

thanks again for all your help so far.

MrRon, it is always best to flush out the rads when new, there are usually debris left behind during the manufacturing process. I would also suggest checking the block now because some of it may have made it's way into it. Furthermore, unless you plan on breaking down the loop often and cleaning it thoroughly, get rid of the dye and put in distilled water and biocide you'll be much better off.

Somebody didn't do their rad dance lol.

Might have some of those pieces stuck in the CPU block also.

I still just think you dont have to block tight enough u have a ihs so make it good and tight ,whem putting it on do it like a tire and caty corrner

Those little bits can also damage the pump. I would do a tear down and rad dance. Its possible you might have buildup from the colored liquid. Get colored tubing with distilled water and kill coil.

Back