• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

strange noise from motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

littlestraffen

Registered
when im booting my pc a led (boot device led) turns red but turns off when its loading windows 7

also when im running udk it makes nosies like frying something

NEW:
ist now a not very high beep(contiuos)

Last edited:
I would think the LED is normal...I have an Asus board with boot LED on it and it turns red for a bit and goes off as well. The manual should mention this.

Makes a noise like frying? Like a sizzle? I would check for swollen/bulged caps as well...

Yes, check and caps on your MB, you don't want this to happen:

DSCN0362.JPG

DSCN0363.JPG

This is a video card but it happens to MB's as well.

The Sabertooth has all polymer caps.

Contrary to what it looks like, the capacitor that blew up that Whitehawk posted is not a polymer based capacitor, it is electrolytic without the cool-looking shrink-wrap sleeve. There is clearly a K-Type vent on the top and all polymer capacitors lack one.

If the Sabertooth uses the same capacitors as the ROG Crosshair V Formula, then it uses all Fujitsu FP series (Japanese) capacitors.

Maybe the OP is just hearing the normal operation of his hard drive...

I am having an issue with the caps on my asus (sabertooth) board also, they are rising up off the board not bulging at the top.
I have read in many places that this means the grim reaper is trying to get into my case. is this correct?

YES, Here is a place you can get new caps if your into doing the work your self or you can send your MB to this place to have them do it for you.
BadCaps.net

Also, those caps on the gpu, some bulged from the bottom and did not blow at the top, so polymer caps or not they all can blow, just in different ways.
Oh and polymer caps are electrolytic, they just don't have the K vent on top, these will shoot the can like a gun shot :) and I have heard what they sound like when they go :)

I am having an issue with the caps on my asus (sabertooth) board also, they are rising up off the board not bulging at the top.
I have read in many places that this means the grim reaper is trying to get into my case. is this correct?

No. That is not true.

Electrolytic caps have a liquid electrolyte in them, and the liquid turns to gas to create the pressure needed for them to vent or leak.
Polymer caps are called "solid caps" for a reason. When they fail, you don't see anything. Why? They have no liquid in them, only solid conductive polymer, therefore the liquid can not change to gas and create a buildup of pressure.

All of the caps on your GPU were electrolytic...(read: wet)

For example, here is a nice electrolytic just like the one that you had shown blown up:
notpolymer.jpg

If it is polerized, when it gets to the end of it's life, it will blow, don't matter what it's made of, they may not have as much electrolyte in them as electrolytic caps but they do. I have seen solid caps blow just like electrolytic caps.

caddi daddi said that the caps on his Sabertooth
are rising up off the board not bulging at the top
, if that's not a electrolytic, then I don't know what is, and that board uses solid caps.

If you can find 1 on a old PC board, cut it open abd see what is in 1.

I would like to see pics of caddi's caps. I think his post was more a joke than anything...caps rising...grim reaper...dead things

vcore would be all over the place as the caps would not be functioning properly, way before they blew up.
The solid caps that you said blew, they blew up at the bottom right? That would be the weakest spot... Any ones that blow or swell at the top like your picture are electrolytic.

The only way a polymer cap could blow up would be if there was like 100% humidity in the manufacturing area and they got moist in the manufacturing process, otherwise if they were made in even a semi-dry area they can not explode because they can not build up the necessary pressure under normal working conditions. (the solid materials do not sublimate or melt, unless maybe you set them on fire)

MOSFETS will sizzle too whether on the board or in your PSU. If it's not normal operation such as HD spinning I'd check your FETS for damage if possible and swap out the PSU if you have an extra too see if it quits.

FETS usually smell funny too. Any odd smells?

when i get the new board in i will shoot some pics, it's not a joke, beepbeep2.
I do have one quirk with it that i have thought was due to my settings in bios.
on start up, after post, after bios entry screen the thing will hang once in a while when the microsoft dots swirl.
not every time, every third or fourth start.
If i dont need to spend the money to replace this board i really don't want to.

I picked up A crosshair v formula today so one evening I will tear out the sabertooth and try to get a pic you can use.

Last edited:
MOSFETS will sizzle too whether on the board or in your PSU. If it's not normal operation such as HD spinning I'd check your FETS for damage if possible and swap out the PSU if you have an extra too see if it quits.

FETS usually smell funny too. Any odd smells?

no strange smell

i think you might want to pull that chipset heatsink for a look.
besure you removed the plastic from that heatsink.
and, of course, redo the tim.

i contacted xfx if they kwon why there is a sizzle noise coming from my computer

they said its complety normal
they also said that i need to contact asus because there is a problem whit the motherboard
because its their product

Back