• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Strange Power Issues Now PC Dead?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dreamtfk

Ever since I built my system about 2+ year ago I have had very odd power issues that whenever the board loses power I have to turn off my PSU and pull the main power to the board to get it to turn back on. This usually fixes the issue.

Example: Turning off the PC and pulling the power plug or a brownout and sudden power loss while the PC is running will cause the issue.

Today the power cut out for a few minutes while the PC was on however my usual trick mentioned above is not working. The mobo power indicator is lit however I just cannot get the PC to start. I have tried moving to another outlet as well. Any ideas are greatly appreciated, I have a Cisco CCNP exam on Tuesday and need to study! I am guessing the issue lies with either the PSU or board. :confused:

You would be guessing correctly.

I suppose I could try a cheap PSU from Best Buy to see if it corrects the issue and then order a new Corsair from the egg if so. If the board status light is on does the mean the board is most likely ok? The PSU would definitely be a quicker fix.

I suppose I could try a cheap PSU from Best Buy to see if it corrects the issue and then order a new Corsair from the egg if so. If the board status light is on does the mean the board is most likely ok? The PSU would definitely be a quicker fix.
Board light guarantys nothing except that it's getting 5vsb from the PSU.
If a different PSU doesn't fix it, you'll be trying a mobo next.

Board light guarantys nothing except that it's getting 5vsb from the PSU.
If a different PSU doesn't fix it, you'll be trying a mobo next.

Well how about that, I pulled the plug one last time and reconnected voila the PC starts up! It's been this way for years and I have no earthly idea why although today was much more difficult than usual. I spend the extra money on Corsair and Asus to avoid these types of scenarios.

Thanks anyhow Scott :)

dreamtfk, I had the same issue with my computer a while back. After shutting down the Pc I couldn't get it to turn back on unless I unplugged the Psu from the wall first and let it sit for a few minutes. I was using a Seasonic X 650 gold unit and it turned out to be a known issue with the power supply. Seasonic replaced the unit for me without issue. I'm pretty sure the Corsair Tx is made by Seasonic and may actually be the same unit as the X 650 Gold. You may want to look into RMAing it if you can.

dreamtfk, I had the same issue with my computer a while back. After shutting down the Pc I couldn't get it to turn back on unless I unplugged the Psu from the wall first and let it sit for a few minutes. I was using a Seasonic X 650 gold unit and it turned out to be a known issue with the power supply. Seasonic replaced the unit for me without issue. I'm pretty sure the Corsair Tx is made by Seasonic and may actually be the same unit as the X 650 Gold. You may want to look into RMAing it if you can.

Thank you for the heads up, probably will need to upgrade the PSU for a new video card soon anyhow but good to know!

Most of the time when you have to unplug the power supply it is because of a problem with the "power-good" signal to the motherboard and yes it generally is a power supply issue. That is why Seasonic RMA'd Mandrake's power supply since the problem is in the power supply.

RGone...

Thank you for the heads up, probably will need to upgrade the PSU for a new video card soon anyhow but good to know!
Even if you get a new Gpu you have plenty of power for 1 Gpu. If planning on going Sli/X Fire then you might be tight.

Back