• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Strange Ram/Boot issues with new system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Christiney

Registered
Hello, I recently purchased components to build a new pc. It works flawlessly (when it's working!) but has some strange Ram/power issues that I hoped I could gain some insight on. I have an Asus M5A97Pro motherboard, 2x4GB 1600 f-3 12800 gskill ram, AMD Phenom II x4 960T 3.0ghz CPU. My PSU is also 500 watts. I'm including a lot of info from other forum replies so hopefully you don't drown in the wall of text.

The OS is windows 7 64 bit. All of these components SHOULD be compatible according to manufacturer specs, however, when all 8 gigs of ram is installed in the reccommended (or any other DIMM slot) windows and the Bios only utilise half of it. In windows and the bios it acknowleges there is 8 gigs inserted and the brand etc, but insists only 4 gig is working. I have tested both sticks seperately and the Ram works fine by itself.

When I insert the ram into some other combinations the PC will not even reach the Bios while booting, and after putting back to a working configuration I get the message "overclock unsuccessful, press f1 to enter setup" before defaulting everything on the Bios again. I have the most up to date bios on the memory board and have already checked the CPU for bent pins/reinstalled it to rule that out.

Even with the "working" memory configuration (1 stick only) the pc can occasionally refuse to reach the bios upon booting. General opinion is that I need to change some "auto" settings in my bios to match the manufacturer spec of my ram, but I dont know how to do this.

I have tried in several configurations to rule out any bad slots or something. Either stick by itself in a blue slot works. Both sticks in blue slots work (half recognised) both sticks in black caused boot issues, and 1xblue 1xblack caused boot issues. It SEEMS as though the "auto settings" for the Ram in the Bios has the slots all configured differently and is trying to clock my ram as standard making it unstable or not work. It's the only thing I havnt been able to fully check myself as I dont know what I'm looking for to check ram timings, voltages etc.

When it fails to boot I have a red LED near the ram lit constantly. Successful boots have it blink only momentarily. Should a 500 watt PSU be able to handle all of my equipment properly? Have a sata 360 gig HDD 7800rpm, 1x PCIE Radeon HD5770 and the above hardware. Another user also suggested to check my Bios was set to 64 bit, which I wasn't even aware I could do. Is this a possibility?

If you could help at all I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

What would you suggest I change the CPU/NB voltage to? And is there a utility I can run to test stability should I get all 8 gigs working? I mean how will I know if additional voltage adjustments are necessary/improvements? The ram is also labelled as "2N" which I can't find anything too conclusive about and the closest option on the bios is a choice between 1T and 2T. Will I need to change any of the "write to read" "read to PRE" "RAS to RAS" options either?

Last edited:
Boot to Memtest86+ installed to a DVD or thumb drive to check for stability. And I would probably start by bumping vNB up to 1.2-1.25V, in addition to manually adjusting the timings and DRAM voltage to the modules rated values. And just leave CPU/NB voltage on Auto for the time being.

I manually adjusted the timings of my Ram, the ram voltage, NB voltage and CPU/NB offset gradually and one at a time in an attempt to get that second stick recognised but no dice. 0 changes up until my pc did not boot and I got that familiar "overclock unsuccessful please enter setup" message to return everything to defaults.

I also have, maybe once every 2-3 times I turn my PC on the same issue where my pc doesnt even reach bios - no beeps and the memory light remains lit (which on successful boots it just flashses) and I have to unplug it, and boot it again where it will boot perfectly fine. This issue still occurs with only 1 memory stick installed.

Really perplexing, any more suggestions I would be willing to try. Would printscreens of my Bios settings (defaults) help?

Unfortunately it didn't work. Included some of the previous voltage changes into my testing and gradually did each one to see if a combination of them would work but no dice. The bios main-screen still says 4gig of ram installed, and north bridge settings shows 2x 4gig. Very annoying. I feel somehow as if "standard settings" is overlocking a component somewhere causing power/instability issues.

My pc regularly will not reach bios, or at least the screen will not leave standby when booting, and after unplugging and plugging in my pc it boots normally. Not sure if this is related. There is also a tiny, tiny difference in the coding of my ram model and the model listed in the handbook as supported by my mobo. F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL is the ram model, and F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL is listed in the handbook. A typo possibly?

Really running out of options to test, feeling like this can't be solved, thanks for everyone's patience so far.

Back