• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suggestions On CheaP Gaming Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

masterofnocrack

Registered
my current pc(s***ty) is almost dead :rain: :temper:,so finally,im getting a new pc.I have to build it on the cheap since im also getting a phone.:attn:
So Heres what i've come up with:comp:

CPU: AMD Phenom II x2 or x3 BE (hopping to unlock it to a quad and since im buyin from ebay,i can just ask the seller)
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB
MOBO: ?????:confused:
RAM: ????:confused:
HDD: 500 GB Seagate(from current pc) and a cheap 64 gb ssd for OS
PSU: 450w with 80+
Case:Anything Cheap
Monitor:20" 1600x900 res

Im going to use this pc mainly for gaming,emulation(ps2,wii,NDS,etc etc) and surfin the net and watchin movies.

I have a lot of questions, plz answer guys

1. Should i get 4 gb of ram or 8 gb.4 gb seems a little low now days but 8 gb is a lot costlier.Will it make any major differnece in gaming performance.also does amd motherboards support triple channel ram(so i could go with 3x2gb)

2.I want to oc a little so what are some good mother boards!

3.Will the gpu be bottlenecked?

4.Will a 450w psu be enough or should i get a better psu

5.Whats the difference between the AMD 7 series and 8 series chipsets

So is there anyway to make this config better,are there better components on the other side of the fence(intel / nvidia).Is there any way at all it can make it better at the same price range;)

A boat load of thanks to anyone who helps!!!!:thup::bday::ty:

EDIT: Budget = around $450.and that should explain the outdated parts

EDIT2:pre-Final List:

CPU :Intel Core i3 3220 @ 3.3GHz
GPU :Nvidia Geforce GTX 750Ti
RAM :2x4GB Crucial Ballistix @ 1333MHz
MB :ASUS P8H61-M-LX3 R2.0
CASE :Antec V1
PSU :Corsair CX430v2 80+Bronze
Monitor :20" 1600x900 ViewSonic
DVD-RW :ASUS SATA
HDD :500GB Seagate Barracuda SATA-III(From old pc)
SSD : Transcend SSD340 64GB (For Windows)

Last edited:
Wow man...your list is waaayyyyy outdated. We have some serious changes here. First of all, we need to know your budget. But if I were you, I would consider these parts-

CPU: AMD FX-6350
RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz
Mobo: ASUS M5A99FX PRO Rev 2.0
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
HDD: From your old PC (think of SSD if you have money left after buying these)
Monitor: As you suggested
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912
PSU: Seasonic 520W
GPU: MSI R9 270X 2GB

Cute font...

+1 to above.... need a budget as the parts you are listing are woefully old.

1. 8GB
2. Need budget
3. Nope. Its old.
4. Depends on what you end up with...
5. Newer, more feature sets and CPU support

Do you have any carry over parts? I take it OS, monitor, mouse and keybaord are not needed so just literally the mobo/ram/gpu/psu/case, righT?

i have doubts about the processor,like i said i do a lot of processor hungry emulation(gotta love gta vcs and SoTC).so will it be good enough.the rest of the build is golden.good work ATM

i have doubts about the processor,like i said i do a lot of processor hungry emulation(gotta love gta vcs and SoTC).so will it be good enough.the rest of the build is golden.good work ATM

That processor will be stronger than any Phenom II X2 or X3, and not by a small margin.

but i can try to get the phenom to unlock to an x4 , and could u guys find any way to bring down the cost a little bit cuz i want to get a monitor too

but i can try to get the phenom to unlock to an x4 , and could u guys find any way to bring down the cost a little bit cuz i want to get a monitor too

Still going to be faster than any Phenom II X4.

My first build came in $50 under your given budget.

If you really want to get cost down, drop the CPU cooler and don't overclock.
Past that, this is about as cheap as they get.

LOL, dude... you can't build an adequate gaming machine for $350 (assuming your monitor is $150).

You are also taking a risk in the CPU unlocking versus straight up buying a faster CPU... that makes zero sense... "forget the sure thing, let's gamble on something slower".

hey,does the fm2 chipset support tripple channel ram(hopin to go with 3x2gb) and does the 7870 have almost the same performance as the 750 ti

No current platform utilizes triple channel ram, its all dual or quad.

The 7870 is slightly faster (minimal difference, won't be noticed for gaming), but costs ~$40 more and takes twice the power to run.

Back