• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suggestions on what to do with an impulse pc part buy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BugFreak

The other day I bought an ASUS ITX-220 motherboard on a refurb deal for $15.00 as an impulse buy. The problem is that now I don't know what to do with it! Whatever plan I had has slipped my mind, so what do you think it would be good for? I was thinking of a cheap NAS but from what I can find, it looks like it might not be enough power. What else is there?

You seem to have bought one of these

_74905252_e4460505-argentinosaurus_dinosaur-spl.jpg

Really, I hate to say it, but you kind of got ripped off. You could have gotten a BIOSTAR A68N-5000 for $60. It has a BGA quad core A4-5000 and a PCIE slot. And takes DDR3.

I don't know what you can do with an ancient BGA celery like you have there. Maybe set up a Super Nintendo emulator or something?

I don't see what else you could do with it... http://ark.intel.com/products/33102/Intel-Celeron-Processor-220-512K-Cache-1_20-GHz-533-MHz-FSB

1 core, 512K of cache... 533Mhz FSB... IDK if it's a Pentium part or a Core2 part but either way you're not going to squeeze water out of a rock.

Oh, i know it was an awful buy. I'm just trying to save a little face by finding a use for it. :D

I was serious when I said set up a dedicated SNES emulator. :D
Even then- do you want to subject yourself to the horrors of VGA video output? That's the only connector on the board for video...
I'm just playing devil's advocate. You payed pocket money for a curiosity from a by-gone era. Why not leave it at that.

Put it in a drawer, put it on a plack and mount it on your wall. Computing with it? meh... I don't know...

Last edited:
I'd use that for a control box for cnc or something else of thst nature. That or some kinda htpc. Doesn't take much to play a video or rock some tunes.

Back