• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Super secret strategy that will get team F to 1st place.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I used to mine BTC, but the prices have dropped and the difficulty has shot through the roof. The BTC I would make now would barely pay for the increase in power and decreased life of my parts.

^^^^ Exactly. When I was mining before, the exchange rate was around 16 USD/BTC. Now it's like 8.50/BTC. I don't even pay the bills and I don't want to do it. :shrug:

8.50? I thought it was closer to 6.50.

It's not as crazy lucrative as it was before but you'd still be getting something close to 100$ a month, give or take. That'd be enough for me. :shrug:

$100 a month for 1 5870?

I'd figure it'd be a bit lower than that, plus the extra energy costs depending where you live would have to be at least half of that in a month.

if you guys want a password just have your team leader or if he is missing select one person to PM one to glorious leader. hopefully he will get it even though he is at CES.

$100 a month for 1 5870?

I'd figure it'd be a bit lower than that, plus the extra energy costs depending where you live would have to be at least half of that in a month.

That's about what 600mhash will get, which is what you should be able to pull out of a 5870 as long as you aren't worried about being able to use the desktop. That's before power rates of course, but I've never bothered with those.

I heard that buttcoins were going to spike up again, though personally I think 7$ is a bit high. I picked up a 5830 to do some light mining with back when prices were around 4$ or so, so things are good for me. :shrug:

According to this calculator: http://www.alloscomp.com/bitcoin/calculator.php I'm making $50 USD a month (minus exchange fees) with my 5870. Then subtract power costs and the increased speed of degradation, we're talking maybe $20 a month. This card actually clocks pretty well, so I'd rather not degrade the performance from mining BTC. :shrug:

I had my hashrate wrong by a bit, but you should still get a bit more than that. :shrug:

I'd take benching it over mining though.

At stock clocks, on probably the totally wrong driver, I was running 265mhash/sec. I assumed I would put a small overclock while pulling the vgpu down a bit as well and get around 300. Addition of a better driver would help too.

But regardless. I might just start back up now. Lemme hop on AIM and IM Ed.

Edit: Something was up before. I'm running 350mhash/sec at 950/600 stock volts.

Last edited:
At stock clocks, on probably the totally wrong driver, I was running 265mhash/sec. I assumed I would put a small overclock while pulling the vgpu down a bit as well and get around 300. Addition of a better driver would help too.

But regardless. I might just start back up now. Lemme hop on AIM and IM Ed.

Edit: Something was up before. I'm running 350mhash/sec at 950/600 stock volts.

You should be able to get 400 out of that easy. With the right software my 5830 should get 300mhash. Not as easily as your 5870 will pull 400 (maybe 450) but not impossible.

I probably wouldn't do it paying for electric though.

I can't remember what we pay per kilowatt hour. But if it's less than $.10, then I should make ~ $40 per month. PM incoming to you, Kona.

Back