• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Swapped Motherboard - PC no longer detects HDMI TV

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yoadknux

Hello Everyone,

I've recently swapped my old socket 775 board (abit IP35 Pro, Q9400, DDR2 RAM) to a socket 1155 board (GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3, i5-2500k, DDR3 RAM). Other than the memory, cpu and mobo, I kept all the old hardware (Including the GPU, Nvidia 680 GTX).

After re-installing windows and all the drivers, I was no longer able to connect the PC to the HDMI TV. I get no signal at all. Once in a while, if I'm lucky, I can find the second monitor in the control panel, but still unable to show any signal. With the old MOBO (and same GPU!), I never had any connection problems.

Of course, the DVI monitor works perfectly.

Here's some stuff that I've tried:
1. Tried re-installing windows - Didn't work.
2. Tried changing to a new HDMI cable - Didn't work.
3. Tried checking whether the TV still connects to other PCs - Worked instantly with the laptop.

yeah, I really have no idea what else to do... Here are some possible things that may have changed when I swapped the MOBOs:
1. PCI-E went from 2.0 to 3.0
2. New MOBO has on-board graphics, could it interfere in some way? I've made sure I connected the HDMI cable to the Nvidia GPU and not the MOBO one.
3. I re-installed windows, maybe a driver issue?
4. In some weird way, maybe the HDMI port in the 680 GTX went bad?

Would love some comments! Man, turns out swapping hardware has a lot mroe issues than I imagined :-/

2. Have you try setting the primary GPU to PCIe in BIOS, and not integrated?

BTW, have you reset the bios already?

Yes to both questions. I tried re-installing windows entirely and it didn't work.

Have you tried updating the BIOS ?
No. But then again, it's not like I have no display at all; The DVI port of the GPU works fine. Could a BIOS update affect the HDMI port of the GPU?

I'm going to try to buy a Display Port to HDMI adapter to see if that changes anything.

Updating BIOS is easy and free, I think it's worth a try.

Well guys, I have it figured out... kinda embarassing.

I tried the DP->HDMI adapter, still nothing. The DVI works perfectly while both the HDMI and the DP don't? I kept thinking, and thinking, and thinking, driver issue? bios issue? some sort of impedance matching between the TV and the PC?

Then I thought, well, maybe I just haven't seated the GPU properly when I made the MOBO swap. One thing I haven't paid much attention to is the fact the GPU went one slot up in the case... This is the issue, it has been the issue all along.

See, turns out that the top slot in the case has some sort of rail which covers the upper boundary of the back panel of the GPU. While connections that sort of "pop out" of GPU, such as the DVI, did not care about the rail, the connections that require some penetration depth such as the HDMI and DP didn't work because the connects simply didn't go all the way in... The cable head collided with the rail in the case. The HDMI connection went in, just not all the way, and that was the misleading issue here.

So, no BIOS issue, no driver issue, no GPU issue. Just a case issue... Guess my options now are: to somehow cut off this rail, get a HDMI cable with a tiny head, or get a DVI->HDMI adapter for the PC-TV connection.

Last edited:
Problem solved. After bending the rail a bit, I was able to re-seat the card with the HDMI cable intact. It's not a perfect fit, but the rest of the rail will bend over time. Now the TV display works.

Thanks everyone for all the comments.

Last edited:
Back