• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sweet mother of god, New swifty heatsink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ffats said:
Some of you guys need to find some nerd friends to congregate with and match wits with! Heh, I've got plenty at my school.. Sat. LAN party in fact..

great idea, except the only people I know who share interest in computers are 4-5 years younger than me :rolleyes: and not interested in the extreme stuff. just gaming. Though crashoveride is a little ways away from me if I recall.

I was just thinking about how much cooler the thing would be if each pin was a heatpipe the temps would be AWESOME i think. Or maybe each pin was a nanotube

madcow235 said:
I was just thinking about how much cooler the thing would be if each pin was a heatpipe the temps would be AWESOME i think. Or maybe each pin was a nanotube

Agreed... However which arm and leg do you want to cut of in order to pay for something like that? Might as well buy a silver white water!

Ffats said:

Agreed... However which arm and leg do you want to cut of in order to pay for something like that? Might as well buy a silver white water!

Hey I am 6' 6" and 215 lbs, and I got plenty of plasma I can donate. :p

Turd Furguson said:

Hey I am 6' 6" and 215 lbs, and I got plenty of plasma I can donate. :p

what part of 'plasma' includes 'arm or leg'? :p

and I paid 24.95$ for my slk 800... not getting a new one for a long time, a 7th hard drive comes first :)

pik4chu said:

it was more of making a joke, but assuming you used the design but modified to be a good WB. (including all copper, one-piece constr.) I think it would rock for cooling.. and look cool as hell ( no pun). after all, this is a modding site :p

Do a search for Hoot's "Pin Fin" waterblock; it's a great example of a wb made out of a heatsink.

Here is the test from the front page:

http://www.overclockers.com/articles679/

I asked Swiftech about any news about a P4 version and this is their reply.

MCX478-V is sheduled for end of the month for release

Best Regards,

Gabe

Think I'll wait for that one.

Namagomi said:
Okay. I'm unimpressed until I see some temps. Anyone else?

Did you look at the C/W rating? is .14 with a torndao, less than the SLK-900 (as far as billa's testing goes) and the same as the Thermalright Heatpipe HS (wich is only for P4's atm).

CrashOveride
read carefully, that is the device C/W (see the footnote)
whereas what most use is what I have always referred to as "C/W",
the distinction being that "C/W" includes the TIM joint C/W with that of the device

for reference the TIM joint C/W based on our testing is 0.09°C/Watt
(using "Artic BillA Goop", fine stuff - contact Artic Silver)

no hocus-pocus intended, just a description of the hsf itself
remember also that C/Ws are specific to a particular test bench

be cool

BillA said:
CrashOveride
read carefully, that is the device C/W (see the footnote)
whereas what most use is what I have always referred to as "C/W",
the distinction being that "C/W" includes the TIM joint C/W with that of the device

for reference the TIM joint C/W based on our testing is 0.09°C/Watt
(using "Artic BillA Goop", fine stuff - contact Artic Silver)

no hocus-pocus intended, just a description of the hsf itself
remember also that C/Ws are specific to a particular test bench

be cool

You lost me.
Does that essentialy mean that the tests on the OC site are WITH TIM and the swiftech one is without? If not could you maybe try to dumb it down just a lil for me? lol If not thats ok too:D

FIZZ3 said:
>> > > > > > >(before anyone says alu lets off heat faster and is thus better: that is a MYTH!).
< < < < < < < < < < <

The reason behind that Myth is that many observe
for themselves how Aluminum will disipate
heat faster than Copper when they remove some
Aluminum foil from the oven. ;)
(it's not just the thin layer)

However, the key is that Copper will transfer heat
faster than Aluminum.

If you have an all Aluminum Heatsink, that's great!
Once your system is turned off, and the heatsource is removed,
it will cool faster than than your friend's all Copper heatsink
of the same weight.
But in an active state, as when the CPU is operating,
Copper reigns supreme.And since Aluminum is lighter than Copper by volume
your friend's heatsink would have to be much bigger.

AMDmb.com has an excellent article about heat tranfer
if anyone is interested. * lynk *

The reason that Swiftech makes the pins from Aluminum
is likely for cost and weight concerns.

Last edited:
CrashOveride said:
. . . .
Does that essentialy mean that the tests on the OC site are WITH TIM and the swiftech one is without?
. . . .
yes, your understanding is correct
whenever you see a C/W value, determine if the TIM (thermal Interface material, grease etc.) joint is included
the enthuast generally combines them, industry does not

but again remember,
Joe's values and Swiftech's will be different as the test benches and procedures are different

be cool

Last edited:
BillA said:

yes, your understanding is correct
whenever you see a C/W value, determine if the TIM (thermal Interface material, grease etc.) is included
the enthuast generally combines them, industry does not

but again remember,
Joe's values and Swiftech's will be different as the test benches and procedures are different

So Swiftech's will be lower C/W than the ones here?

ok, but if they were to (hypotheticly) both test w/ the TIM or both w/o it, despite the differnt testbeds, they should give numbers in the same general ballpark right?

Back