• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Swiftech H20-220

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CyBerGOd909

Registered
Swiftech H20-220 upgrade help

Hello all. I am in the process of upgrading my system, going to be adding a evga 780i mobo and an e8400. I have a nice large case, Thermaltake Armor, and some rather cheap diy water cooling kit I picked up from tiger direct for 99$. It has done fine for now, although its cheapness is starting to show as well and its not so great at cooling compared to air. I wanted to know if Swiftech H20-220-APEX-GT would be sufficient to cool this setup. I am currently living in a house with no central air in Chicago, so temps are going to be around 95F on some days. Also wanted to know if I should bother to get Swiftech MCW30 Chipset Cooling Water-block for the north and south bridges, or if I should just leave one or 2 fans inside to help cool those. I do plan on oc'ing this setup and would like to hit 4ghz on the e8400.

Last edited:
I have the same setup, but with a hotter cpu. You should be able to get away with high end air such as the ThermalRight ultra 120 extreme (TRUE). You should be fine without getting water blocks for the north & south bridges.

I saw that HS it looked nice. Only thing tho as I am worried it can get quite hot in the room specially when its 95-100 with no central air. I dont think I would be able to oc much if at all with that setup because I will be running 8800's in SLI as well.

The Swiftech H20-220-APEX-GT would be enough for a CPU/NB loop. I'd get a nice aftermarket air cooler for the SB, it really doesn't need water. The MCW-30, (if it fits on your mobo) is a really popular NB block, low restriction. Pulling the CPU heat off to a rad would help case temps somewhat.

I saw that HS it looked nice. Only thing tho as I am worried it can get quite hot in the room specially when its 95-100 with no central air. I dont think I would be able to oc much if at all with that setup because I will be running 8800's in SLI as well.
With air cooling the CPU heat and the Video card heat both go into the case and are exhausted from there. With watercooling you have the option of mounting the radiator externally and keeping the CPU heat (and heat from any other blocks you may install) out of the case. That will help the video cards. Mounting the rad internally, whether it intakes or exhausts from the case will be a real hinderance when ambient temps skyrocket.

As for Chicago's 100' days that's gonna be a problem. My guess is that you'll either need higher CFM fans on the rad, or take off the overclock when it's really hot.

I live in Skokie and had no air the last two years. An FX57 and two 6800 Ultras, all way overclocked was a problem, even with a BIX3 with a 400 CFM blower and another 2x120 with 2 190 CFM fans and another 300 CFMs on the case. I had to run stock settings when it got to 98' or so outside. I've got air now, so I'm back to all stock air cooling W/O an overclock...we'll see!

Back