• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Swiftech H240X Help needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mikesamo

Hello my setup is in my signature . I am rocking a swiftech h240x with the pump and the 2 fans plugged on the same channel . i wanna keep the fans at minimum state and have the pump go high when temperatures require so . i still want the fans to be pwm controlled but it seems i cant control the fans without controlling the pump .
i tried plugging the pump on a seperate channel on the cooler and i couldnt get past the cpu error fan code . it wont boot into windows only into bios . bios then doesnt recognize a cpu fan at all telling me its at N/A .
i put all 3 on the same channel again and it works but im back to the same issue . this thing really gets loud above 50 % and its unbearable . I wanna keep the fans quiet and the pump loud .

You technically get more cooling done from the speed of the fans versus the pump so its the other way around from what you said, granted the pump needs to be running at a decent flow.

Unless you have another PWM fan header which most MBs don't, you're stuck with having the fans and pumps on the splitter to the CPU fan header for PWM. If you replace the fans with 3-pin voltage control, you're then able to power them with the other MB headers and just have the PWM pump on the CPU header.

You technically get more cooling done from the speed of the fans versus the pump so its the other way around from what you said, granted the pump needs to be running at a decent flow.

Unless you have another PWM fan header which most MBs don't, you're stuck with having the fans and pumps on the splitter to the CPU fan header for PWM. If you replace the fans with 3-pin voltage control, you're then able to power them with the other MB headers and just have the PWM pump on the CPU header.

thanks for the reply . these fans when running above 50 % are too loud . and since my case is the corsair graphite 760t they are almost glued to the ceiling of the case making a vibration noise . I have an anxiety problem with loud fans hahha . not joking at all here . and its also annoying when I am doing cpu intesnsive tasks.
my motherboard has 4 PWM fan headers . what i dont understand is how can a case fan or in this case ( no pun intended ) the fans on the rad be pwm controlled if theyre hooked to the motherboard and not to the waterblock. I have a low profile value so during gaming its very quiet and cool . but once you do anything cpu intensive it gets very very loud .

So to reiterate, you have the PWM pump with 2 Helix PWM fans connected to the Swiftech 8-way PWM splitter, than to the CPU PWM Fan header?

So to reiterate, you have the PWM pump with 2 Helix PWM fans connected to the Swiftech 8-way PWM splitter, than to the CPU PWM Fan header?

yes . the 8 way pwm splitter is hooked to the cpu fan header . the pump and the 2 helix fans are hooked to the splitter

Ok. What MB is this that has 4 PWM fan headers? I truly haven't heard of any MB that has more then PWM header which is the CPU Fan header. My EVGA MB advertises that is has a secondary PWM header (CPU Fan Header 2) and when I tried anything on it, they ran 100% which means they weren't getting any PWM signal from it.

Regardless, keep the pump on the CPU fan header and try both fans with the 8-way splitter on the next prioritized header. Try that and let us know what happens and make sure the other header has PWM enabled through BIOS.

Ok. What MB is this that has 4 PWM fan headers? I truly haven't heard of any MB that has more then PWM header which is the CPU Fan header. My EVGA MB advertises that is has a secondary PWM header (CPU Fan Header 2) and when I tried anything on it, they ran 100% which means they weren't getting any PWM signal from it.

Nonetheless, keep the pump on the CPU fan header and try both fans with the 8-way splitter on the next prioritized header.

ill try the fans at 30 % through uefi . I hope I dont fry my cpu .

ill try the fans at 30 % through uefi . I hope I dont fry my cpu .

Only use UEFI if you need to. That is irrelevant to the fan headers. That has more to do with OS drives and storage.

You need to go into your BIOS and check your header settings and readings.

I tried plugging the helix fans into two headers on the board. I can now adjust the DC voltage to them and set a fixed speed . choosing pwm on them doesnt do anything and theyll run at 50 % all the time.
I,ll try 30 % on the fan with the pump running at 50 % . it should be quiet enough not to bother
here are pictures of the readings if everything is plugged on the 8 pwm splitter 13170618_1164840090242387_1681859028_o.jpg 13148103_1164840063575723_503949399_o.jpg

Make sure they're set at PWM otherwise with no PWM signal, they'll be running at 100% speed.

That's odd that you say when set to PWM, they run at 50% no matter the changes done to them. It's not suppose to do that. I do think I know why that might be though. On the 8-way splitter, the first header is recorded as the primary device and copied to the rest. I think that might be the reason why you're seeing that 50% because Fan header 1 (with the red cap) is feeding the rest of the headers whatever that is being told to do by the BIOS. The Swiftech PWM splitter isn't necessarily meant to run different PWM devices to it. Its to put the same PWM devices on it and header 1 copies to the rest of the 7.

Hope that makes sense.

hmm i dont think i understand .. but anyway I have the fans now running at a constant 30 % with the pump at 50 . temperatures so far seem to be under control . and the noise is tolerable . i,ll leave it as it is and if any problems arise as far as cooling i,ll add more rpm to the fans . you say fan rpm is more important than pump speed eh ?

hmm i dont think i understand .. but anyway I have the fans now running at a constant 30 % with the pump at 50 . temperatures so far seem to be under control . and the noise is tolerable . i,ll leave it as it is and if any problems arise as far as cooling i,ll add more rpm to the fans . you say fan rpm is more important than pump speed eh ?

Yes. Pump speed is usually set and forget. Its the air flow through the radiators that matters most. You'll see more of a temp change there then if you were to play with the pump speed.

Yes. Pump speed is usually set and forget. Its the air flow through the radiators that matters most. You'll see more of a temp change there then if you were to play with the pump speed.

thepump has a ticking noise in a way that's bothersome when high in rpm but no where near the noise level of the helix fans . I set the pump at a max range of 60 % if the temperature exceeds 70c . the pump is temperature controlled and the fans are unchanged. so much better now . thank you those fans were driving me nuts. the difference in cooling is barely noticable . 3-4 degrees at most

Back