• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Sys only using half of my ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SpiderCraved

Registered
I just rebuilt my system and the ram I'm using is Corsair Vengeance 8GB kit. My mobo sets it @ 1333MHz default and Win recognizes all 8GB as usable. When i set the ram to the rated 1600MHz in the bios, Win only recognized 4 of the 8 GB as usable. Any help would be nice. Thanks

Last edited:
Tell us about the rest of you system, especially the make and model of the motherboard and the CPU you are running.

Is the ram properly seated? Also test each stick to ensure any of them aren't dead. Then once you know the sticks are working test each ram slot to make sure any of them aren't dead.

Is the ram properly seated? Also test each stick to ensure any of them aren't dead. Then once you know the sticks are working test each ram slot to make sure any of them aren't dead.

The ram and slots are all working. The sys reads all 8GB if i don't manually set the ram to the rated speed, once i set it to the rated speed the sys recognizes 8GB but w/4GB usable.

The ram and slots are all working. The sys reads all 8GB if i don't manually set the ram to the rated speed, once i set it to the rated speed the sys recognizes 8GB but w/4GB usable.

You said in your OP that the bios only saw 4 gb. If windows is only seeing 4 gb of the 8 your bios see then it doesn't sound like you have a 64bit OS.

You said in your OP that the bios only saw 4 gb. If windows is only seeing 4 gb of the 8 your bios see then it doesn't sound like you have a 64bit OS.

I think this is a bios issue, i upgraded my complete system except for my ram, before on my old mobo is would recognize my ram @ 1600MHz, now this mobo sets it @ 1333MHz and when i manually clock it @ 1600MHz in the bios win recognizes all 8GB @ 1600MHz but says only 4GB is usable. I have Win7 64bit. I think my wording was a little off in my first post, but i fixed it.

My mobo's setting for my ram are wrong i think, but i dont what to set them to. i dont konw if i need to change the voltage and the rest of the settings so that it will be usable in Win
2012-07-16_18-57-47_98.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Looks like your sticks have an xmp profile. Just load it and it should set everything for you.

The BIOS for that board doesn't have an XMP Profile option. Just set MCT Timing Mode to Auto, which auto-adjusts the DRAM frequency based on the SPD of the modules.

The BIOS for that board doesn't have an XMP Profile option. Just set MCT Timing Mode to Auto, which auto-adjusts the DRAM frequency based on the SPD of the modules.

When i set everything to auto, is sets it @ 1333MHz, am i doing something wrong

Back