• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

system boot errors, new computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

polaroider

Hello, I just signed up on the forums. I'm completely stumped and signed up as a last resort after having read some relevant threads addressing similar issues that i'm experiencing - namely the thread started by Arklite. But even after informing myself and doing some research, I haven't been able to find a fix.

Here's the problem:

When the computer boots, after the BIOS loads and the system loading messages appear, I receive the following message:

Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key_

I have a brand new computer, it was a prebuilt package.
Here are some specs:

INTEL Core 2 Duo 3.00Ghz
2GB RAM, DDR2 G.Skill Extreme Series
ASUS P5Q Pro Motherboard, Intel P45 - ICH10R
500W Extreme Power PSU

ATI Radeon 4850 512Mb DDR3
750GB SATA SAMSUNG HD753LJ (formatted)
DVD+RW 22x SATA SAMSUNG S223
WIFI card Trendnet TEW-423PI
5-1 multicard reader

you can see the actual specs of the model here (most of the site is in French):

All the computer parts seem to be working well, DVD drive and HDD included. I've tried endless combinations to try and get the computer booting normally so that I can install Windows XP Pro (bootable CD), but before I get the chance, I receive the famed error message that won't let up after pressing various keys.

I have 2 instances where I thought I was very near to have gotten the computer booting normally:

1. In one case, in the BIOS, I set the SATA Configuration of the HDD to "AHCI", then have the DVD drive boot first (the HDD second). I run the computer, and I hear the DVD drive activating the cd, then see "CD-ROM Boot Priority ..Boot Ready", then a few seconds later, "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key_" reappears on the screen appended to the first message. If I press a key, the "CD-ROM Boot Priority ..Boot Ready" message appears again with a slight load time of the cd, and then followed by the main error message again. I assume that the dvd drive then works, but that something is halting the drive for booting up normally.

2. In the other case, I swapped the supplied harddrive with another working SATA drive from my old DELL Precision 390 pc that has Windows XP Pro installed and working (and that I intended to transfer my work data from). I installed the HDD, booted the computer, and for a few seconds, the black background Windows XP loading screen appeared, BUT shortly after I get a BSOD that lasts barely half a second (before I have time to read it), and then the computer restarts. If I let the computer go, it will go into this restart routine endlessly until I shutdown the computer.

Other interesting facts are that I still receive the "Reboot and Select proper Boot device" error message even after detaching the SATA connectors for the HDD and DVD drive. I would assume the error message would be different, but it doesn't change.

I'm out of ideas. I've been at this for two entire days, and it's been a draining experience. I hope once things get going I could get working on my work again.

I'll be happy to provide photos of the computer and other parts if necessary.

thanks for reading :)

Back