• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

system setup suggestion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

random44

Registered
Hi All,

As you may have seen my other post, I am going to have a system with msi 970 board and most likely fx 9590 .

I first wanted to go with cheap and cheerful chinese fan for £10-15 but people did say need to get something suitable for my application.

so based on that what is your suggestion on cooling heatsink? noise is not an issue.

I have looked around for water cooling and apparently you can get them for as cheap as £60 just for the cpu .

reading around , I thought you also need a reservoir and most all in one don't have one.

so my question is if I am going to OC mine then would you recommend air cooling ? I rather do air cooling if i can . if not then water cooling .

with water cooling , is it common for it to leak thus costly repair ?
I guess looking at below you just put the metal thing on the cpu and it should have some sort of fastner or mount to secure it and then fill the radiator with water or distilled water . then connect the fan and way you go?
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-013-CS&groupid=701&catid=2330&subcat=2262

Last edited:
You're going to have issues with that CPU/mobo combination...
Get a board with a MUCH better VRM section, otherwise you'll have serious stability issues.

No, you don't need a reservoir and the AIO coolers don't have them.

A cheap AIO water cooler will not cool as well as a good air cooler. Nothing magic about water cooling. It's all about radiator surface area whether you use water cooling or air cooling. Water coolers still use the ambient air to cool the radiator. The advantage of water cooling is not the water it's the fact that your radiator can be mounted in a different location than your CPU socket. That provides the opportunity to use a bigger radiator.

Even the best AIO water coolers like the Coolermaster Nepton 280L only give you a few degrees better temps than do the big air coolers like the Noctua DH14/DH15. The best AIO cooler on the market right now is the Swiftech H320 which has a 3x120mm fan radiator and will give you a significant edge over any air cooler. The other AIO coolers on the market right now will give you 2-6c improvement at best over the big Noctua air coolers.

If you want the truth about AIO water vs. air then study this: http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2752&page=4

as it stands i will be locked into the board for a while .

I undertstand everyone recommends against it but too late to change .

I will read through now.

So Guess can just go down the route of air cooling

Until and unless you can afford to or are willing to go with a custom water loop I would stay with the best air you can afford and that you can fit into your case. A lot of mid tower cases just don't have the extra space in the right places for the better AIO coolers. Plus, water coolers potentially have more problems than air coolers, such as pumps dying.

What case make and model do you have?

Please create a "Sig" with details about your system components. The Sig travels with your every post and gives a quick and ready reference to those trying to help you with regard to your components. To create a sig go to Quick Links at the top of the page and click there. Then click on "Edit Signature". This is a common forum courtesy.

That motherboard won't even post the 9590. No amount of cooling will let that combo work in any fashion.

Drop Down to a 6300 or upgrade that motherboard to a crosshair formula or sabertooth.

You're basically strapping a 400 hp shot of nitrous to a 1987 Honda civic. The nitrous will fit, but it certainly won't "work" (more than once...)

If you already bought them, sell one or the other before you destroy one or both of them.

Edit 2: and you need a much much much better psu. That rig is a fire hazard!

That motherboard won't even post the 9590. No amount of cooling will let that combo work in any fashion.

Drop Down to a 6300 or upgrade that motherboard to a crosshair formula or sabertooth.

You're basically strapping a 400 hp shot of nitrous to a 1987 Honda civic. The nitrous will fit, but it certainly won't "work" (more than once...)

If you already bought them, sell one or the other before you destroy one or both of them.

Edit 2: and you need a much much much better psu. That rig is a fire hazard!

Amen to all of the above!

sure can you suggest a psu ?

I am planning to run all i have plus around 10 fans on it dazzy chained

sorry for my ignorance but why it is fire hazard , if it can handle 500w and all items take less than that then what is the issue ?
I am googling to find out why my psu is fire hazard as really interested to know.
if it can handle in the input requirement and kept cold then no issues unless i am wrong

the psu temp is around 67 when checking it now . is that considered high ?

re board and cpu, I can make a compromise and get fx8320 /50 maybe so don't have to sell the board .

I haven't bought the cpu but about to so appreciate your advice . is fx8320 good enough for serious fsx?

Last edited:
It is a fire hazard because you have a cheap psu (I'd be surprised if it was able to do 400 watts, let alone 500)

You don't have enough motherboard for that cpu. You'll have that burnt electronics smell soon enough.

I can't believe it even posts... yeah, the lowest you want to go is an evga 600b. They aren't too expensive.

And 67c is RIDICULOUS hot.

got you so it is the brand not been reliable and may not deliver anywehere as close as 500, right ?

if it was a reputable brand then I would have been good ?

so evga 600b and that should be ok for my board plus 8320/50 at 125w?

if you were me , would you have spent £240 on fx9590 and sell the msi for a loss and put another £100 on it to buy asus or whatever or simply keep the msi , buy 8350 so another £120 for cpu and oc .
set aside £50 for cooling heatsink and £60 for psu of 650 or 750 and another £20 for bunch of cheap fans to create a positive internal pressure ?

That board still isn't good for an 8320/50 because it's still only 4+2 phase motherboard.

When you say the psu hit 67c, do you the psu, or the cpu?

two things

I checked using the hwmonitor and here are the results
sysfan 40-50
cpu 70
aux 70ish ( which I understood it as psu)
core 1 67
core 2 65ish

this is all on my old board with not much cooling

with the 970 will get a proper heatsink

so with more phase such as 6+2 or 8+2 you get a lower heat?

got you so it is the brand not been reliable and may not deliver anywehere as close as 500, right ?

if it was a reputable brand then I would have been good ?

so evga 600b and that should be ok for my board plus 8320/50 at 125w?

if you were me , would you have spent £240 on fx9590 and sell the msi for a loss and put another £100 on it to buy asus or whatever or simply keep the msi , buy 8350 so another £120 for cpu and oc .
set aside £50 for cooling heatsink and £60 for psu of 650 or 750 and another £20 for bunch of cheap fans to create a positive internal pressure ?

Power supply is, above all other components, where you want brand name.
The 600b, I believe, got a 9.8 on JonnyGuru, which is where you should check for power supply reviews if at all possible.

I'm not super familiar with AMD CPUs, but I believe the 8320 is a good choice. Get a mobo & cooler to handle whatever choice you make, though.

I was dead serious. Sell the 9590 for a slight loss, and get an fx 6300.

I made the same mistake you did, it happens. Amd chips aren't too "clear" on ensuring you pair it with the right mother board.

I KNOW first hand this sucks, but please trust me. That motherboard WILL die on that chip!!!

That or sell the motherboard and get a sabertooth at minimum. F

On my phone sorry for extra post.

For now, your best move is to down clock your 9590. Try 4.0ghz at 1.3v. Thay may save you some heartache in the interim.

you might have misread my post .

I am about to buy the 9590 , haven't go it yet but have the mb

so have two choice which is why asking for opinion :)

1.sell my gaming 970 for a loss and get a good mb and then the fx9590

2.keep my mb and don't buy fx9590 and buy 8350 as also msi has tested it and it is on their website for that board .the website has tested cpus up to 140w so guess 125 8350 is ok . now once that is oced then it produces more heat so does that mean the 125w is no longer the cpu tdp and could be higher?
in another word if i get the 8350 on my 970 board , I shouldn't oc much although the msi has a cpu with 140w tested and listed as compatible?

makes sense? :)

btw each fan wouldn't take more than 2-3 w so 10 around 30 watt ?
this is based on 12v fan and 0.12-0.18 amp so around 2w at max.

what else takes psu power apart from the mainboard and fan ?

re temps do you think the aux on hwmonitor is the psu ?

I am running prime 95 and the sysin is 39
cpuin 77
aux in 77
core 0 72
core 1 71

too high?

Back