• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

system setup suggestion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes that's the one. Just make sure it's not the gen 3 version. I believe it's 8+2 but I don't have my cheat sheet here.

I THINK 6+2 is 6 for cpu and 2 for other stuff (ram, audio, LAN) but don't quote me.

That is how I understand it yes. There is more to it than that of course like the quality of the phases, but that is for its own thread. ;)

is it that you add the number of sfx things sticking out(capacitor ?) and as it is 8 then it is 6+2 . if it was 10 then it was 8+2 , right ?

any view on

when you say pre OD'd what do you mean ?

Pre o/c (overclocked). OD was a typo. That 9590 is the same exact cpu, just set at a higher clock speed. ;)

Perhaps you are including memory controller as the northbridge? I was including it with ram, so maybe we are speaking the same.thing in a different way?

Here is a read though for all :http://www.overclock.net/a/about-vrms-mosfets-motherboard-safety-with-high-tdp-processors

@ atm - of particular interest should be the gems for different platforms section which explains things.

Sorry, I should have been more clear.

AMD systems have two portions called NB. There's the CPU_NB and there's the NB.
The CPU_NB includes the IMC, and is on the CPU die. It is powered by the +2 portion.
The actual NB on the motherboard has its own VRM just like the RAM and SB.

Gotcha. :)

I just never heard phases referenced as nb before now.

Anyhoo, back to our regularly schedulded programming. :p

Slight threadjack, but what makes it 6+2 vs 8?
I still don't understand that VRM notation.

This is not a technical explanation but just know that 8+2 VRM is better than 6+2 because there are more components to share the work load of producing power for the (mainly) CPU. That's why the core voltage will be more steady and why the VRM section will run cooler.

Can you please tell me how you can guess what vrm phase it is ?

also I am now considering getting a new board, apart from the asus , is there anything else you guys suggest ?

also pleas share your thoughts on number of different graphic cards which are not expensive yet very powerful and can give me a realistic experience on my fsx.

by the way when i am playing fsx, does the quality of the image get impacted by cpu ? don't think so as it is the gpu ?

Back