• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

system setup suggestion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
you might have misread my post .

I am about to buy the 9590 , haven't go it yet but have the mb

so have two choice which is why asking for opinion :)

1.sell my gaming 970 for a loss and get a good mb and then the fx9590

2.keep my mb and don't buy fx9590 and buy 8350 as also msi has tested it and it is on their website for that board .the website has tested cpus up to 140w so guess 125 8350 is ok . now once that is oced then it produces more heat so does that mean the 125w is no longer the cpu tdp and could be higher?
in another word if i get the 8350 on my 970 board , I shouldn't oc much although the msi has a cpu with 140w tested and listed as compatible?

makes sense? :)

btw each fan wouldn't take more than 2-3 w so 10 around 30 watt ?
this is based on 12v fan and 0.12-0.18 amp so around 2w at max.

what else takes psu power apart from the mainboard and fan ?

re temps do you think the aux on hwmonitor is the psu ?

I am running prime 95 and the sysin is 39
cpuin 77
aux in 77
core 0 72
core 1 71

too high?

My money is on option #1, but my two cents is only worth a cent in this area. Haha

Fans don't take much power, don't worry, I'm just curious where you're going to fit 10 fans in anything below a 900D. Lol

But the big power suckers are CPU & GPU, as long as you take those into account and add some overhead (& a quality brand name!) you'll be perfectly fine on power.

update ,
opened the case and blowing air on it using my tower home fan and the result it

cpuin 58
auxin 57
core 0 59
core 1 58

or could get 9590 and underclock it so it uses 125w and change the mb in a short while?

i guess all the fx cpus have their mp unlocked so could underclock it as suggested earlier .

is there a way to find out how much power a cpu or gpu is socking?

then don't buy the cpu, tell us what you want to use it for and we can go from there, you have some of the top amd guys in this thread, give them the info and you will get steered in the right direction and handed the best info to help you decide.

I sure as beck wouldn't downclock... What is the point of paying the premium for that cpu to downclock it? :shrug:

Even if you get an 8350, that board will not handle overclocking it. Sell the board, get a more appropriate one, and buy an 8350. There is no need for the 9590 or w/e for the average user.

I sure as beck wouldn't downclock... What is the point of paying the premium for that cpu to downclock it? :shrug:

Even if you get an 8350, that board will not handle overclocking it. Sell the board, get a more appropriate one, and buy an 8350. There is no need for the 9590 or w/e for the average user.

thus you reckon 8350 will be more than sufficient for my fsx taking the board out of equation ?

I was playing tonight and although with my old system the graphic is on ultra high and looks good, I can see the jutter there and then and when landing can see lines flashing across my screen which not sure what the phrase is for it but can say there is no enough fps so can not see that picture smoothly

i have another old msi which has the 2nd screen hocked up to it so the main 650 has only got 1 screen (tv) connected to it .
I am hoping when I change cpu and board and with the pcie 2 kicking in , I will see an improvement else will be very disappointed and have to get a new card. just got my 650 from less than £100.

btw what are the top or good performing cards preferably from msi ?
i am loyal to them :)

graphic should be like this

or

or

:D

Last edited:
btw what are the top or good performing cards preferably from msi ?
i am loyal to them :)

Sure there are. Look at this Newegg link.
That's all the current AMD & Nvidia cards with the MSI brand. Take your pick within your budget and run it by the forum before you make a final choice. Some are better than others.
That first video you linked was running off a gtx 670M, the third a gtx 780 OC, so it depends. Those cards will yield very different results.

Okay, so we get it. You are loyal to MSI. Nothing much more to be said.

Okay, so we get it. You are loyal to MSI. Nothing much more to be said.

Are you speaking to the OP or myself?

I personally wouldn't go with an MSI card, but that's me.

The OP expressed specific interest in MSI, so that's why I linked all MSI cards. His/her choice.

Are you speaking to the OP or myself?

I personally wouldn't go with an MSI card, but that's me.

The OP expressed specific interest in MSI, so that's why I linked all MSI cards. His/her choice.

Read OP's remarks in Post #27.

Really new stuff on a becoming stagnant platform...

...such information is really hard to find, but did the best I could after a good deal of searching.

http://gaminglaptopunder1000.org/msi-970-gaming-motherboard-review/
We can find the MSI 970 Gaming selling for around 80 dollars on Amazon, a similar price compared to other models with the AMD 970 chipset. We have to take into account that this price competes against the models that integrate the chipset AMD 990X/990FX with a surely better VRM and higher OC capacity, but with some improvements on networks and radio that make it so interesting.

Okay that 970 Gaming board from MSI is new. So new and by many now using a defunct
cpu/chipset combo since AMD had not nor seemingly intends to release an FX Steamroller
cpu for AM3+ boards. Probably 2016 before AMD has a discrete performance cpu again.
So no real wonder that the review sites are not just falling all over themselves to review
any newer non-APU stuff. Now that crap should be out of the way.

That site above removed the VRM sinks so a view of the VRM circuit could be seen.
That appears to be a 6 + 2 + 1 VRM circuit. I would be flat arse guessing it has digital VRM control though
I could find no real answer. No I don't believe any of that crap about 32 phases.

Copied:
MSI boards, within a reasonable limit of "luck", are "OK" for non overclockers. With Nikos they may suffer in the long run probably more failures in the VRM, but overall, it's manageable. The MSI problems starts with overclockers and unfortunately, nowdays many buy even very cheap boards (3+1 phase) and pretend to overclock on them (if my board says it supports my FX6300 and my FX6300 is black edition, then my board should overclock it!). The VRM protection of MSI is problematic. A good way should allow a large margin to overclock and a point where it's "too much" and stops the overclocking potential. MSI has a dilemma. It's easy to impose an early on "wall" to overclocking, but people want to overclock... So, her trouble, is to put a second wall, where it allows for ample enough overclock, but within the tolerances of Nikos and ensure that the overclock will be high, without Nikos failing. This is the hard part. If you throttle too soon, the overclocker will bypass the first BIOS block. If you throttle as late as the other companies, chances are Nikos will fail more than other brands that don't use Nikos.
END COPY.

So for real and in line with at least 4 other posters that MOST strongly urge against an
FX-9590 or in fact I would suggest AGAINST any FX-8core. I have seen g00gle hits for a
few MSI 970 Gaming mobos running the FX-6300 and they were doing okay. NO not
overclocked to the moon like I can do my FX-8350 but in the 4.4Ghz-ish range. Mostly
stable and without any reported throttling like MSI is prone to do with their VRMs being
less than awesome.

So for my money it would be an FX-6300 and I really lean sharply at an FX-6350 since it
comes faster from the get-go than the FX-6300 without much more real loading. Then
cool the "pee" out of it with at least a top of the line Ai0 cooler and match the faster cpu
speed of the 6 core FX processor with a very good video card and play sims pretty well.
RGone...

or could get 9590 and underclock it so it uses 125w and change the mb in a short while?

i guess all the fx cpus have their mp unlocked so could underclock it as suggested earlier .

is there a way to find out how much power a cpu or gpu is socking?

Yes, it is listed in their tech specs
For example 780ti : http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-780-ti/specifications
"plain" 650: http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-650/specifications

I would like to hammer on the importance of a GOOD PSU. A bad PSU will not only kill your system, but might indeed be a fire hazard

See if you can find your eBay PSU in the list of those tested by Jonnyguru
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=All_Reviews
If it turns out to be one of the Gutless Wonders... RUN.

thanks very much for all of your help so far.

A real good advice and although my happiness and beliving my board is the best out there is gone, still ok with it.

I am now comparing fx 8350 and fx 6300 and will decide between one.

I am also looking at the power supplies and want to get something that is 750w so future proof if I added more fans bells and whistles.
while i am searching , what are the top brands out there and apart from w of it do you look at anything else ?

I can spend up to £80ish .

heatsink the same and appreciate all inputs on specific models. I want to keep mine really cool as planning to oc my board and see how much it can handle and will post back .
maybe msi have fixed their poor reputation on mb with this gaming or maybe I am finding it hard to make a loss on a new board and happy to try before making the loss and getting something else.

Also I bought a heat gun to see the temp. it is a laser based one from amazon. it will not damage anything if pointed at board etc when running , right ? I don't want to short circuit anything

one very important question is , how do I know my motherboard tdp as the site says 140w cpu was tested and I am really keen to see what is the max in their view.
Once I go over the limit I guess it will still work but get very hot and shutdown or burn or can activly monitor with the gun .
is it the vrm temp I need to check ?

There is a link in my signature to good power supplies. If you are going single card and overclocking and amd octo, go 600w.

Temp gun will not be a great tool for temps for the cpu... They have software for that. Your gems though it's good. Wait until the amd guys get here before you buy a board so you get a proper one.

I am now comparing fx 8350 and fx 6300 and will decide between one.

one very important question is , how do I know my motherboard tdp as the site says 140w cpu was tested and I am really keen to see what is the max in their view.
?

I can't believe this is still going on. New thread same questions.
As for TDP that's determined by the manufacturer and this is where things have fallen apart with the new AMD FX line. Someone isn't being upfront, who I'm not sure but I'm guessing AMD wasn't giving the Mobo Manus the proper info. That's where experience comes in. Any of us in here who run these CPUs wouldn't put them in an MSI at all let alone an 8 core into a 6 phase MSI board.
Now since you've "already" ordered the board take the advice we've given this time and go with the 6 core CPU and you WILL have a lot less headaches.

We still don't know which "MSI 970" board he has either. Regardless, even if it is the 'best' one they offer (G46), that still says no overclocking on octo's... The rest say no overclocking...Its a 4+1 phase VRM.

http://www.overclock.net/t/946407/amd-motherboards-vrm-info-database

So basically... if you have the G46, you can overclock a hex core AMD... not an octo. If you have a lesser board than that, overclocking isn't in the cards.

EDIT: Ok, I see you have the MSI 970 gaming. That link doesn't have that board in the database but it looks to be a 6+2 VRM section which I would overclock a hex on... You can try the octo, but I can't guarantee it won't throttle...

Last edited:
I can't believe this is still going on. New thread same questions.
As for TDP that's determined by the manufacturer and this is where things have fallen apart with the new AMD FX line. Someone isn't being upfront, who I'm not sure but I'm guessing AMD wasn't giving the Mobo Manus the proper info. That's where experience comes in. Any of us in here who run these CPUs wouldn't put them in an MSI at all let alone an 8 core into a 6 phase MSI board.
Now since you've "already" ordered the board take the advice we've given this time and go with the 6 core CPU and you WILL have a lot less headaches.

Hi Johan,
absolotly I am not ignoring you or other people else would not be here and make my owm decision.

I decided not to go with 9590 purley based on the forum advice.
but I am one of those people that upgrade once every 5-10 years and that is if I need it so rather spend more an get 8 core for future proofing and then if my board dies then get another board.

I am not a crazy oc person but need something that can make my game experience enjoyable.

that is why I prefer to go with 8350 and not 6300 or even wanted to go 9590 and underclock so if 8350 was not enough then simply change board and not board and cpu .

it might be the gaming is no new and as said before it is improved and can do oc. in fact msi does state it is built for oc and have a software for it . lot of features to oc it .

also why I want to get 750 in case in the future had two gpu for multi monitor so keep it future proof

re fan any specific model ? is nuctua fan any good ?

still don't know what happens if i put a cpu that is using 220w and my board can take up to 125, my guess is it overheat and dies if under load .
if kept very cool it may work well.

re the gun i got the gm550
http://www.amazon.co.uk/GM550-Non-C...d=1407504180&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=temp+gun

I was planning to use it to get the temp of the board and its bits an peices to see if it going to blow up.

finally I thought gpu clock is what is most important and mine has 1Ghz and 2gb ram and 128bit which is not as wide as 256 bit but still so would have thought I will get a better performance.
the bandwidth is the multiple of the bus width and speed , right ?
for instance 650 vs 780 ti

cuda cores 384
clock up to 900mhz
texture fill rate up to 27.2 billion/sec

memory gddr 5
128 but
bandwidth up to 80 gb/sec

780 ti
cuda corer 2880
clock 875mhz
texture fill rate up to 210 gigatexels

memory gddr 5
384 bit
bandwidth up to336

so can see main differene between bandwidth and bus width , can someone tell me in your view what impacts your gaming experience and what graphic card would you go for ? I can use my 650 for my 2nd monitor and get another good one for main screen

Last edited:
If that's your plan to Upgrade now for the next 5+ years why cheap out on the foundation of your system? The problem with running something ( CPU ) in a board that can't handle it is this. When a Mobo takes a dive it can take the CPU with it. Now you have neither.
If you want a top end AMD FX system you NEED a good motherboard and good cooling with a case that'll offer sufficient air movement to feed the hungry beast that the 8 core FX really is. If you do this half asses you're going to have nothing but headaches from day one.
Besides if you want to future proof have you given any thought to getting an Intel system?

Back