• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

system setup suggestion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The board could take out your entire system though...if you upgrade every "5-10" years, you want to do it right, the first time.

What will happen if you put a 220W CPU in that board... well for starters, that MSI 970 Gaming board doesn't even support the 9590 in the first place so that is a no go, period. It also doesn't show the 8350 either... The 8150 is the best CPU that thing supports. Just because it has the options in it, doesn't mean its a good idea. ;)

I'm sorry, but I need to be blunt on two fronts

1. That GPU is garbage for what you want to do at 1080p (FSX)
2. That PSU needs to go ASAP.

historically never liked intel . it is just a preference .

well that is why i am not going with 9590 and 8350 as msi manufacture and people in here say it should support it so why doing it .

I just think there is a quite a bit of pessimistic on msi and hope I can be the guinea pig and test msi 970 gaming with 8350 and post back . i am confident it won't burn and my other msi board have never burned or melt down .

just been tight on changing the borad and not really ignoring anyone . just bought it and according to advice it was a mistake but rather test that sell it brand new and get something else.

I paid around £80 and can hardly get £50ish back for it so rather test and if was not what I need then absolutly pay £150 for asus .this may not seem reasonable to some but for me still want to use what I paid for :)

psu is going asap and will be getting something today

graphic would welcome advice on model which are not crazy expensive but decent

same advice re fan :)

when you say 8350 is not going to show what do you mean , not booting ?? the cpu is listed as tested on msi .
you can debate how truthful they are but I wounldn't think they would lie
you help is much appreciated

Last edited:
Topic: MSI 970 Gaming + AMD FX-8350 (Read 308 times)

This is right from the MSI forum.
Even they say the board is going to throttle due to a lack of power.
I understand your point but you'll likely get more for it unopened , is there any reason it couldn't be returned.

ok I am going to try really hard and get rid of it .

What is the good boards out there? I always had abit and msi which msi is no go for majority here.

what should I get that is considered good board, I will have a hard deep thought about it and maybe do it

also planning to get another 8Gb ram so 16Gb in total

You are foolish if you want to be a guinea pig... I said already that MSI 970 board does not support the 8350 (or the 9 series)... its on their website under support...

Make sure you get MATCHING (the same exact) sticks if you are going 16GB...

The Sabertooth is a great board I hear, but AMD really isn't my bag.

If I were going to build a system , assuming you still want the 9590, which I would still shy away from so .
FX 8350
Crosshair V Formula-z/ Sabertooth R2.0
Your ram is fine unless you edit video or something that needs 16Gb
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 for the PSU
GTX 770 with 4Gb of Vram
Plus the best cooling you can afford such as the swiftec H220x
Good case with lots of air flow and room too expand if necessary. I've always liked the InWin GROne

All this isn't necessarily needed but this is what I would get knowing what It needs and what I want. You are going to want to Overclock this at some point I'm sure if you plan on keeping it that long so this is a bit more future proof.

In that review they said this
The Integra R2's dual +12V rails are both rated at 30A, or 60A in total. Our voltage stability tests reveal more fluctuation than most of the other units, as the +12V rail drops to 11.64V under load, although this is still a healthy output and within 3 percent of what it should be
Two things I don't like already.
Modular is nice since it helps with cable routing and air flow. If you don't need it you just don't hook it up . That way it's not all coiled up in the bottom of your case. Where do you shop for parts and how much do you want to spend?

Or to keep it simple.. get ANY Corsair around 600W and you can't go wrong. Some aren't the best, but they are at worst mediocre and plenty good enough.

Or to keep it simple.. get ANY Corsair around 600W and you can't go wrong. Some aren't the best, but they are at worst mediocre and plenty good enough.

I went with 750 because of the mention of a possible second GPU in the future.

I want to 750 as i am spending a bit

ideally to keep it under £80 which can handle two gpu ( good ones) and lots of fans .

i am easy with whatever you suggest.

when looking around the comment said that model is brilliant in the ripple test
"
The ripple results of this PSU are fantastic, with a maximum ripple of just 53.4mV at 700W, which places it narrowly behind the Enermax unit that's over twice the price. Its ripple falls to as low as 27.8mV, and it even leads the pack in four of the six separate load scenarios."

"The 85.57 percent average efficiency the Integra R2 achieves is about what you'd expect from a Bronze certified PSU, and in the three load scenarios likely to best represent the typical performance demands placed on it (300W, 400W and 500W), it's over 86 percent efficient. The Cooler Master PSU does just outshine it in each test here, but the Fractal PSU's efficiency is far from bad, and you couldn't ask much more of it at this price level.""

fan Zalman CNPS12X Ultimate Performance Triple

Last edited:
That's why I suggested one of those earlier they're a great PSU and good pricing. Made by Superflower, which I have and a rosewill that's also done by them. Got them both from O_W and they're great as TT would say.

The G2 is newer and better than their original (Supernova NEX)... but assumed you meant G2 anyway, just specifying that so he doesn't see the non G2 and grab it instead (though its no slouch, the G2 destroys the 750W NEX). :)

thanks very much for all of your help so far.

A real good advice and although my happiness and beliving my board is the best out there is gone, still ok with it.

I am now comparing fx 8350 and fx 6300 and will decide between one.

I am also looking at the power supplies and want to get something that is 750w so future proof if I added more fans bells and whistles.
while i am searching , what are the top brands out there and apart from w of it do you look at anything else ?

I can spend up to £80ish .

heatsink the same and appreciate all inputs on specific models. I want to keep mine really cool as planning to oc my board and see how much it can handle and will post back .
maybe msi have fixed their poor reputation on mb with this gaming or maybe I am finding it hard to make a loss on a new board and happy to try before making the loss and getting something else.

Also I bought a heat gun to see the temp. it is a laser based one from amazon. it will not damage anything if pointed at board etc when running , right ? I don't want to short circuit anything

Won't hurt anything.

one very important question is , how do I know my motherboard tdp as the site says 140w cpu was tested and I am really keen to see what is the max in their view.

The eight core FX CPUs will make over 200W when overclocked.

Once I go over the limit I guess it will still work but get very hot and shutdown or burn or can activly monitor with the gun .
is it the vrm temp I need to check ?

I'm back random. Glad to see you're looking at options. Just to recap what I was suggestion yesterday.

If I was in your shoes I would sell the 970 for whatever you can get for it. Buy a GOOD board. Either a ASUS 990Fx sabertooth (non gen3) or ASRock 990FX extreme9. I would consider these budget boards for the 8 core FX chips. Weather you get the 8350 or 9590 is up to you. The only difference in them is the 9590 comes pre-OD'd.

Get the best air cooler you can afford. Look into the Noctua NH-D14 or Phanteks (model# is escaping me). Ive read good things about the TRUE also but don't know alot about them. Also make sure they fit. Cases normally list maximum cooler height so look that up. There are some good low profile coolers out there but not as many. The ram you were looking at is a good choice. 1866 is plenty fast just look for CL9 @1.5v and your golden. Again watch for cooler clearance. If you go noctua or Phanteks make sure you don't get tall ram.

I linked an EVGA supernova 750W on sale from newegg for I think $60. It's a little more than you need, but you'll have a hard time finding a better deal. Case fans don't need to be expensive and you don't need a ton of them. Especially if they move alot of air. With fans you get to choose 2 between air flow, price and quiet, but only two. It's the nature of the beast. Case airflow should be in from the front and bottom/side and out the back and top. It's a good idea to have more air glowing in than out to create a positive pressure in the case to help with dust bunnies.

Sorry this is long winded but it'll keep you from going thru the 10 posts you had going yesterday. Lol

Luck

@Blaylock, thank you for the advice. much appreciated .

when you say pre OD'd what do you mean ?
so in essence if cooling is good enough you can get 8350 to perform around 5ghz or higher ?
providing the board is also good.

if I keep the 8350 and don't overclock it on my msi , do you reckon it will have a good performance for gaming?

re fan , I don't like the look of the nuctua look

what do you guys think of
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-059-ZA&groupid=701&catid=2330&subcat=2742

or
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-003-ZE&groupid=701&catid=2330&subcat=2742

by the way how can you know if the board is throttling the cpu ?

also have seen people putting small fans on their chipset and vrm so can you not do that to keep it cool ?

Last edited:
@Blaylock, thank you for the advice. much appreciated .

when you say pre OD'd what do you mean ? It comes pre-OD'd from AMD.

so in essence if cooling is good enough you can get 8350 to perform around 5ghz or higher ? Yes. You'll likely need a custom water loop for anything over that. Give or take a few 100Mhz of course.

providing the board is also good.

if I keep the 8350 and don't overclock it on my msi , do you reckon it will have a good performance for gaming? The 8350 is actually overkill for most games. A 6350 would do you just as good however more and more games are taking advantage of multi core cpus. If I were you I'd get the 8350 and shut 2 or even 4 cores off to preserve the board until it can be replaced. You will be surprised how well a 4 core processor will work for most games. If it's inadequate go to 6 cores.

re fan , I don't like the look of the nuctua look most don't which is why phanteks came out with their line.

what do you guys think of
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-059-ZA&groupid=701&catid=2330&subcat=2742
I have an older Zalman and it works ok. It's not that one so I can't say for sure. Go to anandtech or techpowerup and look up comparisons.

or
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-003-ZE&groupid=701&catid=2330&subcat=2742

by the way how can you know if the board is throttling the cpu ?

also have seen people putting small fans on their chipset and vrm so can you not do that to keep it cool ?

Back