• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

system wont post with new memory??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

merz.38

I just received this from newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233303

I tried to install this in my DX48BT2 mobo and the computer WILL NOT POST under any configuration of DIMMs (like using one in one slot, using one channel instead of the other, using every channel... etc.

Anyone know how to fix this? I wasted over an hour trying to get my system to run with this new ram and am incredibly disappointed and not sure what to do now but return it!

Please help!

YES! sorry forgot to mention that. That was the first thing I did after it wouldn't POST. I probably tried 100 times in different combinations of slots.

It looks like you have memory that words with the board installed now. What happens if you manually set the voltages, timings, and frequency with the working RAM installed (even if this doesn't work with the original set)? If it works, the auto-detect isn't working properly. If it doesn't work, it could be faulty RAM (not likely since no sticks work) or a compatibility issue.

The memory he linked is a 4 x 8GB kit... I don't see where his mobo supports more than a 2GB stick in each slot.
That is a good point. I know that some DDR2 server sticks above 4gb required special circuits to get them to work.

To White Runner: I'm running Ram, (and have been running the same RAM since 2008) that isn't on the list provided by Intel.

thideras: I haven't had any luck tweaking the RAM beyond stock settings, I attempted to overclock my RAM and CPU initially when I built this computer and never successfully got anything sufficiently stable above stock clock speeds. I attempted running just one stick of the new RAM in every slot and was not ever able to get the system to POST or even display any kind of information on either of my monitors.

Is there any way to determine what it would support.. or some way to modify it, by drivers, etc?

Is there any way to determine what it would support.. or some way to modify it, by drivers, etc?
If it isn't compatible, it is because of the chipset. Drivers are not used until the operating system loads. There would not be a way to fix it short of replacing the board.

Also, please use the edit button. No need to make multiple posts right after one another. ;)

If it isn't compatible, it is because of the chipset. Drivers are not used until the operating system loads. There would not be a way to fix it short of replacing the board.

Also, please use the edit button. No need to make multiple posts right after one another. ;)
GRR! How am I supposed to know this otherwise?

Okay one more thing, the box my mobo came in says it supports 8gb DIMMs.. so what gives?

Are you sure that the motherboard is exactly the same model as written on the box, down to the very last letter? Does the motherboard ever beep when you try and start it? Have you tried a BIOS update?

If none of that fixes it then I'm all out of ideas. Theoretically, any DDR3 desktop RAM should work in any DDR3 motherboard (with the exception of ECC, but that's not the case here) since they're all built to industry standards, assuming that the modules are not too "big" for the motherboard to support (correct me if I'm wrong).

Back