• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Talk me into, or out of the 4930k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The 5960x looks like it is going to be a beast to cool, soldered IHS aside. Overclocked to 4.3 with 1.25v (on corsair 100) temps were 90C with prime 28.5 small ffts. Probably be 10C cooler with custom waterblock and rads, and ? testers mount. But die shrink, so increase power density + 2 more cores, looking like dont come to the party without custom cooling.

Wait wait...time out.
I was lead to believe that the 5 Gen CPU's were to be socket 1150, or is 2011 the new way of saying Xeon?

Die shrinks don't worry me at all..I had others begging for a jacket, and I can do it again.

I'm soooo behind....I'm hiding my face....

Last edited:
@bob4933
What did you end up deciding on now that the reviews etc are out?

I actually do pretty much the same as you, video and Music production, so know too well the tax VST and samples puts on the system. As you're into your cost/performance ratio and also an overclocker I wouldn't discount the 4930k as you should be able to pick that up and an X79 board at great prices now and even less if you can dip into the 2nd hand market. Plus factor in the cost of DDR3 to DDR4 and using VST's etc you'll want as much memory as you can afford.

Even the 3930k if you can find one will be great value due to the extra overclocking headroom you get, Typically ~300Mhz over 4930k. Which itself seems to get ~400Mhz over 5820k/5930k.

Oh and I hope you've got some fast hard drives. If you can get a large SSD for your music stuff this will aid you almost as much as raw CPU power.

isn't pcie 3.0 at 8x the same as pcie 2.0 at 16x? i thought we were way off from needing faster than 2.0 16x. should be great for a couple gtx 980s'.

EDIT: here we go.. http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Impact-of-PCI-E-Speed-on-Gaming-Performance-518/

" Conclusion

Our testing has pretty clearly shown that for gaming using either PCI-E 2.0 or PCI-E 3.0 will give you nearly identical performance. Oddly, in some benchmarks PCI-E 2.0 was actually faster than PCI-E 3.0. At the same time, x16 was not consistantly faster than x8. Again, x8 was actually faster than x16 in many cases. So unless you care about getting up to 1.5 FPS better performance, you might actually want to manually set your video cards to operate at x8 speeds - although we really would not recommend doing so.

This isn't to say that PCI-E 3.0 is not faster than PCI-E 2.0, or that x16 is the same as x8, but rather that current video cards and games are simply not able to utilize the additional bandwidth they provide. In fact, we recently showed that the performance of a Xeon Phi card is greatly reduced if you run it at x8 speeds in the blog post Performance of Xeon Phi on PCIe x8.

While we recommend using the latest PCI-E revision whenever possible, if your motherboard or video card only supports PCI-E 2.0 our results show that this really is not a problem. At the same time, if you want to install a sound card into your Z87 system but doing so would limit your video card to x8 speeds, that is also not a very big problem. At most you may see ~1.5 FPS drop in performance, but that change is so small that it is very unlikely to ever be noticeable."

isn't pcie 3.0 at 8x the same as pcie 2.0 at 16x? i thought we were way off from needing faster than 2.0 16x. should be great for a couple gtx 980s'.

EDIT: here we go.. http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Impact-of-PCI-E-Speed-on-Gaming-Performance-518/

" Conclusion

Our testing has pretty clearly shown that for gaming using either PCI-E 2.0 or PCI-E 3.0 will give you nearly identical performance. Oddly, in some benchmarks PCI-E 2.0 was actually faster than PCI-E 3.0. At the same time, x16 was not consistantly faster than x8. Again, x8 was actually faster than x16 in many cases. So unless you care about getting up to 1.5 FPS better performance, you might actually want to manually set your video cards to operate at x8 speeds - although we really would not recommend doing so.

This isn't to say that PCI-E 3.0 is not faster than PCI-E 2.0, or that x16 is the same as x8, but rather that current video cards and games are simply not able to utilize the additional bandwidth they provide. In fact, we recently showed that the performance of a Xeon Phi card is greatly reduced if you run it at x8 speeds in the blog post Performance of Xeon Phi on PCIe x8.

While we recommend using the latest PCI-E revision whenever possible, if your motherboard or video card only supports PCI-E 2.0 our results show that this really is not a problem. At the same time, if you want to install a sound card into your Z87 system but doing so would limit your video card to x8 speeds, that is also not a very big problem. At most you may see ~1.5 FPS drop in performance, but that change is so small that it is very unlikely to ever be noticeable."

Thank you Brando, I don't know how many times it has taken multiple people saying "NO, IT WON'T HELP" for people to listen.

Keeping this link in mind for later use. :thup:

Yeah, the 5820k (article was a typo) may be exactly what the doctor ordered. Retail is apparently expected to be around 400$ which is perfect (as long as I dont need a 500$ motherboard.....)

15mb L3

:eek:

That octo-mom you're talking about is indeed expected to be in the 4 figure range, so thats not really an option for me. Probably dont need 16 threads anyway xD

edit: launch date is in 2 weeks... I can certainly wait :)

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.aspx?sku=397901

$300 :)

Back