• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TBred B XP2100+ works GREAT on KT7 non-A without ANY mods!! Running at 2.3GHz now!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Re: Re: Re: TBred B XP2100+ works GREAT on KT7 non-A without ANY mods!! Running at 2.3GH

docinthebox said:

For the XP2100+, the 5th bit is set to 1, therefore I get the range 13x-20.5x.
It seems that cutting the 5th L3 bridge would enable those(13x-20.5x) multipliers on a 1700+ tbred too in a KT7. Anyone tried that already?

Re: Re: Re: Re: TBred B XP2100+ works GREAT on KT7 non-A without ANY mods!! Running at 2.3GH

Mix said:

It seems that cutting the 5th L3 bridge would enable those(13x-20.5x) multipliers on a 1700+ tbred too in a KT7. Anyone tried that already?

yes, that should work just fine.

Hi docinthebox...

... as a quick summary:
* insert T Bred 2100+
* raise to 1.85 V core
* select 10 as a multiplier(???)

correct for the first steps? Do I get more values as soon as the CPU is inserted? Right now, having the 1 Gig TB inside,
so right now I see as maximum the "x12above" in the Multiplier Factor window. How does that change once the Tbred is in?
To 13-20,5? So which one then is the one to go for?
I got my TB 2100+ AIUGB 0245 yesterday and awaiting the SLK 800 I am slightly getting nervous ....
thx again
I am a bit concerned about the cooler since I know the weight it has ... are there any "helping" constructions required to avoid any crashes?

Latrini, the short answer to your question is that the bios menu will *not* change at all. You'll still see exactly the same multiplier options (5x, 5.5x, 6x, ... x12above), but they won't correspond to their nominal multiplier value anymore. For example, setting 1000(100) will give you 2300 instead of 1000. But you won't see an actual 2300 setting in the bios.

Before you take out your thunderbird, you might want to set the bios to 900(100) (which corresponds to 1700 which is safe: stock frequency of XP2100+). Then turn off your mobo, take out the old tbird, plug in the new tbred, and turn the mobo back on.

I posted the following info to the alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit newsgroup a while ago. I think you'll find this useful:

If anyone wants to try the TBred B XP2100+ on their KT7 non A, I've compiled this multiplier mapping table (after numerous resets of the bios when system failed to boot):

500 -> no boot
550 -> no boot
600 -> no boot
650 -> no boot
700 -> 1500
750 -> 2200
800 -> 1600
850 -> 1650
900 -> 1700
950 -> 1800
1000 -> 2300
1050 -> 2400
1100 -> no boot
1150 -> 1900
1200 -> no boot
>= 1300 -> 2000 (I think the >=1300 setting corresponds to the 12.5 multiplier.)
1400/133 -> no boot

I think the multipliers 500, 550, 600 and 650 have been remapped to multipliers higher than 2400 and that's why I wasn't able to boot up. Same with 1100 and 1200.

The highest I can go and still have a rock solid system (as tested by prime95) is 2300. If I use 2400, everything seemed to work fine except prime95 gave errors. The highest I've tried is 2520 (24x105). The system boots up fine until it starts to load windows, then it hangs. I'm not sure if that's a limitation of the CPU or if it's the disk controller giving in (I suspect the latter.) Too bad AMD hasn't remapped any of the multipliers to 25, otherwise I could have run 2500 without overclocking the PCI bus.

By the way, the SLK-800 is indeed quite heavy (so is other comparable heatsinks like the Volcano 7+) but it's fastened to the socket pretty tightly so I think it should be okay.

I'll let you guy's know about the kt7a soon, I ordered a 2100 from newegg yesterday.

update

hi folks, last night till 2 in the morning I was playing around with my new stuff as my SLK 800 arrived.
I can fully confirm what Docinthebox was describing. I put int the T Bred, installed the SLK800 (I have a "silent version" with Papst Fan). Putting the CPU speed in the Bios to 1000 made the CPU running at 2300. To whatever reason my W98 could not work with that and at a shocking moment, when looking into the Health Modus in the Bios showed me 59 degrees C of the CPU.
So I stopped the whole thing and set back to 1600Mhz at 1.8V which works stable in W98 and W2k. What concerns me is
1) at 1600Mhz and 1.8V I get 52C CPU temp. (says Via HM)
and a 30C System temp
2) I do not know why the SLK 800a does not cool it down a bit better (so to say around 45C as I expected to turn up to 2300 once W98 got kicked out)

I have to say that I have just a front cooler, sucking air into the Eye 920 Tower via 3 small fans. I do not have any other fans to transfer the hot air out of the tower (should I?).

And here a stupid Q: the fan on the SLK blows TO the CPU,
not away i.e. the label "looks" towards the SLKs bottom...
I do not think standards changed but just to make sure ....:mad:
any inputs appreciated

why are you using 1.8 volts?the default is 1.60.
find the most stable oc at 1.60 then raise v-core slowly and you will see temps rise accordingly.also in bios check pc health ststus and you may find that the v-core is higher than you set it in the bios.you can probably do all that you have allready done with the default v-core.
yes you should have allmost as much air exiting as you do entering the system.right now your psu is providing most if not all the exiting air(depending on if you have other vents or air holes in your case).try running with the side off,if there is a big difference in temps than you might want to consider a new case.

I agree with shadowdr. You shouldn't need 1.8V if you're underclocking the 2100+ at 1600MHz. (Stock frequency of XP2100+ is 1729MHz.) 1.6V should do just fine. That'll bring your CPU temp down.

I'm running [email protected] with my fan at 48cfm, and my CPU temp is 45degC. I think your pabst is probably doing 33 or 36cfm, and that's why you're getting 52 or 59degC. But it's way quieter so that's the trade off. Even at 36cfm I think you should be able to hit 2000 or 2100 at reasonable temp. Try doing what shadowdr suggested, starting at low voltage and working your way up. You want to use the least possible voltage to reach the highest frequency.

BTW, your fan is doing the right thing by blowing air onto the heat sink. That's the way it should be. The air helps carry the heat away from the surface of the heat sink.

Good luck!

allright

... will try that. One thing I forgot: When I was using my 1 Gig TB with the EKL cooler, I had the power cable of the cooler connected to the appropriate socket 1 on the MB. That allowed me to set the option in the Bios to shut down the PC when the cooler does not work. I did the same with the SLK, again, white cable towards the CPU, but after activating this Bios function the PC came up with 3 or 4 beeps and turned automatically off.
Are you aware of probs like that? I did not yet install the modified A9 release. I am still on the official A9.
Does this version offer any other news than the HPT 3.44?
Cheers and thanks to your inputs; time to goto bed; had a very long night ;-) -- glad that it works :)
now, running the CPU on 1600 shows in Sandra almost 70% increased values to what I had before. Not bad at all.

I personally find the fan monitoring feature of the KT7 kinda flaky. I don't know what I did but it stopped working a long time ago. It always reports 0 for me so I just turned the feature off in the bios. Sorry can't help you on this one.

Also, the fan monitoring cable is from your pabst fan, not from the SLK. Maybe you can try another fan and see if it works.

The modified A9 differs only in the 2.34 bios for the raid. The A9 part is identical to the official A9 AFAIK.

This morning I found out that my XP2100+ can run stable (as tested by prime95) at 2200MHz (750 in the bios) using 1.725V. This way I can turn down my fan and it's much quieter now. Maybe I'll get a pabst like you did.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: TBred B XP2100+ works GREAT on KT7 non-A without ANY mods!! Runn

hooziewhatsit said:
Mix said:

I tried it and now my CPU won't even post on any multiplier. Maybe I cut too deep or had some ESD issue, who knows...
I'll try reconnecting the birdge to see if it just doesn't want to work on my mobo. Although I tried it on a Epox 8RDA+ too...
Someone posted on an other forum that he succeeded in this so it should have worked...

I just wanted to add a little tidbit of info into the Motherboard (KT7A) not reading the tach signal from Fan. I started to manually turn down my Thermaltake Smart Fan 2 once I hit around 2570 rpm then there were no returns of the RPM amount in the BIOS or in VIA HM. I am thinking they show as 0 at start up and you get the beep codes when enabling the Protect CPU if no Tach Signal is found on boot at such a low RPM. Please check and confirm or deny my theory and I will do more investigation into this. And I will be getting a XP2100 T-bred B in the next week or 2 to mess with in this KT7A-R V1.0

MarK

If this bios option is a troublemaker turn it off!
Use a hardware monitoring program instead.
(I would advise you to do that even if the shutdown function worked properly.)

TBred B on KT7

Hi,

I would just like to clarify things. My abit kt7 raid is not an A.
It has the following written on it "Via VT82C686A"

1. When you guys say "non-A" do you refer to the KT7 Raid?
with Via VT82C686A?

2. I'm gonna get a Tbred B. after flashing the bios what are the setting sI need to put?

thanks!

dermon

Re: TBred B on KT7

1. When you guys say "non-A" do you refer to the KT7 Raid? with Via VT82C686A?

yes

2. I'm gonna get a Tbred B. after flashing the bios what are the setting sI need to put?

Do you mean clearing the bios, instead of flashing the bios?

I'd recommend starting your CPU speed setting at 900(100) which corresponds to 1700MHz in the XP2100+, which is around stock frequency. Set voltage to 1.6V.

Good luck!

Bios settings

Hi Doc,

Yup I meant clearing the bios.

please check if this is correct:

1. set multiplier to 9 and fsb to 100mhz? thus 900?

btw: what's a good 3dcard that will work on this system? (abit kt7 raid with tbred b?) I have an ATI AIW Radeon and its not stable. I plan to change it to a better card. Any ideas?

dermon

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: TBred B XP2100+ works GREAT on KT7 non-A without ANY mods!!

Mix said:
Originally posted by hooziewhatsit
Originally posted by Mix

I tried it and now my CPU won't even post on any multiplier. Maybe I cut too deep or had some ESD issue, who knows...
I'll try reconnecting the birdge to see if it just doesn't want to work on my mobo. Although I tried it on a Epox 8RDA+ too...
Someone posted on an other forum that he succeeded in this so it should have worked...
Now I reconnected the 5th bridge and th tbred works great again @1250. What went wrong?
Should I try the wire trick for the mobo?
Mix

Re: Bios settings

1. set multiplier to 9 and fsb to 100mhz? thus 900?

or just set "CPU Operating Speed" to "900(100)" instead of "User Defined", and leave the fsb and multiplier settings at default.

btw: what's a good 3dcard that will work on this system? (abit kt7 raid with tbred b?) I have an ATI AIW Radeon and its not stable. I plan to change it to a better card. Any ideas?

You probably have read this already:

link

It talks about how to deal with ATI Radeon instability on the KT7.

As for recommending a good 3dcard, I'm not a good person to ask. I'm still running my old Elsa Gladiac Geforce2 GTS from 2.5 years ago. :)

I've been reading this thread since it first showed up.. I have a KT7 non-A and was thinking of trying the same thing.
I got one online and it works perfectly.

Thanks for saying it worked... or else i may not have tried!

--neo

Back