• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TBred B XP2100+ works GREAT on KT7 non-A without ANY mods!! Running at 2.3GHz now!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Did you also buy a 2100+ ?
I ask because it's still unclear if only this specific cpu works or any t-bred B with an open 5th L3 bridge.

yes its an xp2100+
AXDA2100DUT3C
i just had it in windows @ 2200 but it freezes when i try to prime95
gunna have to raise the vcore a bit i think

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: TBred B XP2100+ works GREAT on KT7 non-A without ANY mods!!

Mix said:

yes, that should work just fine.

I tried it and now my CPU won't even post on any multiplier. Maybe I cut too deep or had some ESD issue, who knows...
I'll try reconnecting the birdge to see if it just doesn't want to work on my mobo. Although I tried it on a Epox 8RDA+ too...
Someone posted on an other forum that he succeeded in this so it should have worked...
[/QUOTE]
Now I reconnected the 5th bridge and th tbred works great again @1250. What went wrong?
Should I try the wire trick for the mobo?
Mix
[/QUOTE]

I suggest you take a look at this thread.

http://www.ocinside.de/go_d.html?ht...in/forum/topic.cgi?forum=14&topic=29&start=10

First you will think that this contradicts with the results of docinthebox.
Imo there are 2 possible reasons for this:
Either you got a t-bred A but only B works on the KT7 (without mods).
Or there is a significant difference between all the t-breds XP2100+ and above, and all those which have a connected 5 th L3 bridge.
The worst case for you Mix would be that you would have to do the so called "multiplicator mod".

M@€$†®Ö™ said:
I just wanted to add a little tidbit of info into the Motherboard (KT7A) not reading the tach signal from Fan. I started to manually turn down my Thermaltake Smart Fan 2 once I hit around 2570 rpm then there were no returns of the RPM amount in the BIOS or in VIA HM. I am thinking they show as 0 at start up and you get the beep codes when enabling the Protect CPU if no Tach Signal is found on boot at such a low RPM. Please check and confirm or deny my theory and I will do more investigation into this. And I will be getting a XP2100 T-bred B in the next week or 2 to mess with in this KT7A-R V1.0

MarK

This is just awesome news! I've been waiting awhile for people to get the chance and jump the gun on the T-bred B CPUs in there KT7A.

I'm looking forward to your post with your snappy new T-bred CPU :)

OC-Master

Re: Bios settings

dermon said:
Hi Doc,

Yup I meant clearing the bios.

please check if this is correct:

1. set multiplier to 9 and fsb to 100mhz? thus 900?

btw: what's a good 3dcard that will work on this system? (abit kt7 raid with tbred b?) I have an ATI AIW Radeon and its not stable. I plan to change it to a better card. Any ideas?

dermon

The GeForce4 TI 4200 and ATI Radeon 9700 both work awesome on the KT7A motherboards. I would advise setting the AGP strength to EA for best performance/stability all around.

OC-Master

a quick update ...

I ended up at 1800Mhz @1,75 Vcore. I pushed up to 1.75 as my Unreal 2 Awak. was freezing after the intro...
Stress Test of Prime pushed my Temp up to 56C, this because I ordered the quietest fan, the Papst 8412n 2GL. That was a mistake as I know now and I am looking for a stronger one. I guess I will use this fan afterwards to move hot air out (but have to "dig" a big hole into my eye 920 first:eek: ) to reach at least 2 Gig.
Nevertheless, switchig over from a 1 gig TB at 1,1 to this TBred B for overall 180$ is not bad and the only one thing to keep the KT7 and all my lovely 768Megs Crucial CL 2 DRams...
Anybody a reco for a compromise of a strong/silent fan?

Wanted to buy: Tbred 2100 B

Anyone knows where i can buy online an athlon xp 2100 Tbred B?
Unfortunately newegg.com doesn't accept international credit cards :(

look around

you should get this CPU worldwide. I had to contact 6 dealers with the exact specifications, just one of them took the time to look if the "wording" on the CPU was according to my request. So I was buying it there, of course. (And that for 120 bucks!) It takes a bit longer as it's more specific, but it's worth. Things like that I would not buy via international e biz anyway, or do you think they give you the money back just because the stepping is not according to your request? I don't. And then there are the high postal costs, tax and rubbish like that.
Worst case ask AMD for reco. dealers in [/URL=http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/AboutAMD/0,,51_52_502_775,00.html]your country

doc.. when you said you maxed out at 24*105 did you mean on the kt7 or a different board?
when i try to use "user defined" settings for fsb and multiplier on my kt7 it won't boot.

--neo

[xeno]neophyte said:
doc.. when you said you maxed out at 24*105 did you mean on the kt7 or a different board?
when i try to use "user defined" settings for fsb and multiplier on my kt7 it won't boot.

--neo

24x105 didn't boot all the way for me. It died right when it started to load windows, which led me to believe maybe the disk controller didn't like the overclocked PCI bus.

Here are my bios settings when I tried 24x105:

CPU Operating Speed: User Define
Multiplier Factor: x10.5
CPU FSB/PCI Clock: 100/33 MHz
CPU FSB Plus (MHz): 5
Speed Error Hold: Disabled
CPU Power Supply: User Define
Core Voltage: 1.85V
Output Drive Control: Manual
Output Drive Strength: 3

Also, make sure you have a good fan blowing on the heatsink. I turned my YS Tech variable speed fan all the way up to max. So I was getting 48cfm.

Good luck!

docinthebox said:
By the way, I was using bios A9_2.34.

You should grab my moded A9 bios.. there is alot more features and work arounds in there that just may help aid in your overclocking a little bit more :)

A personal favorite is the invert FSB mode and being able to turn off AUTO Dimm detect in the Soft Menu III setup.

OC-Master

I've got it working now..
its currently at 2310 (22*105) vcore/IO 1.8/3.3
i had it running at 2300 (20*115) 1.8/3.4 and its ok but i get a bit of artifacting in sof2 at that bus rate. The agp can't handle the increase, but my memory is hanging in there.
Would changing the driving strength for agp help this? its at default atm and the card is a Ti4200.

Also.. OC-master.. whats the inverted fsb mode for?

[xeno]neophyte said:
Also.. OC-master.. whats the inverted fsb mode for?

I was wondering about that too. Also, OC-master, could you briefly explain how turning off auto dimm detect would be helpful? I know... I should read through the thread but it's a long thread. :)

Thanks in advance!

It worked!

Hello all, new member here. I built my system about 2 years ago, KT7-Raid and Tbird 900->1110. Was getting ready to chuck my board, chip and memory when I came across this thread. Amazingly, it booted the first time. Set mult to 9, FSB to 100, and it posted 1700!! Sweeeet! Just thought I would thank everyone for the great info posted here (before I start to crank it up and crash!!). Setup is below, suggestions welcome. Thanks again. Will post back with results of oc.

Last edited:
Besides installing a fast CPU, here are several other suggestions that will make your KT7 run significantly faster (from my personal experience):

1. Install George Breese's PCI latency patch:

http://www.georgebreese.com/net/software/

This patch is more optimized than VIA's raid performance patch.

2. Use a hard drive with fast access time as your system drive. The Maxtor Diamondmax 9 8MB cache drives are excellent for this purpose, with much faster seek time than the WD 8MB cache drives (check storagereview.com).

3. Use a utility like Norton Speed Disk to defrag your drive, and more importantly, to move the paging file (pagefile.sys) to the front of the drive (outer tracks have higher throughput).

4. I find the VIA IDE miniport driver to be faster than the Microsoft IDE driver that came with Windows 2000. Don't know about XP though.

http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=66

I got my system running very stable at 2300 (23x100). For some reason, I could not get any higher FSB's to run stable; I was able to boot windows at 23x105, but programs would stop running. Also, 24x100 booted, but crashed immediately under Prime95. I was able to run my old Tbird 900 at 10x110, so I know my memory and peripherals can run at 110, I'm not sure why I can't get this chip to run at higher than 100. Even 23x101 would crash. Hmmmm. Also, I could not get any voltage over 1.8 to run. Finally, here are my CPU ID shots with WCPUID and CPU-Z, why are the mult and FSB either blank(WCPUID) or incorrect(CPU-z)?

WCPUID shot @ 2400 (24x100)

cpu-z at 2300 (23x100)

What's your temp for:

23x105, 1.8V
24x100, 1.8V

Also, when you had your TBird 900 at 10x110, were you also booting from the same RAID0 array you're using now?

As for the mult and fsb in wcpuid and cpu-z, I noticed the same thing too, for 23x and 24x. At 22x they're detected fine though. Don't know exactly why.

Back