• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tell me what you think about my new system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Railgunner

Registered
I decided a few weeks ago to do a full rebuild of my existing gaming system except for the monitor and speakers. I'm currently running a P4 [email protected] on P4T533-C with 512MB (2 x 256MB) PC1200 RDRAM and a PNY Ti4400 Video card. This will become my backup system now.

Here's my new system. All the parts are from Newegg except
the Lian Li Case which I picked up on EBAY. I should have
everything the first of next week.

Intel Pentium 4 -2.4C 800Mhz FSB 512K HT CPU
ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe MB Rev 2.0
1 GB (2 x 512MB) Mushkin Level 2 Black PC3500 DDRAM
ATI Radeon 9800XT AGP Video Card w/256MB RAM
Lian-Li PC-65 USB Case w/Plexiglas Window
Zalman CNPS7000A-AlCu Aluminum/Copper CPU Cooler
Zalman ZM-MFC1 Six Channel Multi Fan Speed Controller
ENERMAX EG465AX-VE (W)FCA 460w PSU
Seagate Barracuda 40GB 7200RPM HD
Antec Cobra A26 Round 133 ATA Cable Model 77226
Antec Cobra F16 Round FDD Cable Model 77216
Lite On LTR-52327S Black 52x32x52 CD-RW Drive, 2MB Cache
Panasonic 1.44 MB Black Floppy Disk Drive
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound w/99.9% Pure Silver
(3) Cooler Master TLF-R82-E1 80x80mm Blue Neon LED Fans w/Ball Bearings
Windows XP Pro w/SP1a

Notes:

The Seagate Barracuda will be moving to my backup
system as soon as they start shipping the Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000 RPM SATA HD (#WD740GD).

I had a hard time deciding on a CPU Cooler. I don't want machine
that sounds like a blowdryer but I also want to OC my 2.4C to 3.2-3.4Ghz on air. I hope I made the right choice with the Zalman CNPS7000A-AlCu. I don't really like the fan control
gadget that's wired to the CNPS7000A-AlCu and would consider
modding it to get rid of it. Anyone know how to do this?

I'm hoping this machine will last me about 3 years with a only a processor upgrade. I figure that in about a year I'll be able to upgrade the 2.4C to a P4 3.4Ghz EE for under 300.00.

The only thing I have not been able to decide on is whether to
go with a Blue Cold Cathode (Any suggestions on the best choice)
or one of the new Meteor Blue LED case lights. I'm really not sure i'll need either with the 3 blue LED Neon fans.

I thought about waiting for Prescott but I was like, what game
that will come out in the next 3 or even 4 years would even stress a P4 3.2 Ghz Northwood? I might can see needing to upgrade your video card in 2-3 years but I can't see any game
needing a 3Ghz+ processor any time soon. Keep in mind, a MS X-BOX uses a PIII 700 Mhz. With this in mind, I decided to build
my new system on the mature P4 Northwood Platform.

Comments?

Last edited:
Nice setup! Are you planning to get M0 stepping? It does OC better and there is a thread that tells you where to get it. I see you are also getting a BH-5 AWESOME!!!

I just got my BH-5 on Fri and prime stable at 3.4g and im planning to push more. With Vmod, 3.3 on ram hopefully ill reach the 300 clbu :D

P.S. Is "Windows XP Pro w/SP1a" on your BUY list? :p

Yeah, Windows XP Pro w/SP1a is on my buy list. I picked up a copy off EBAY. I'm currently using W2K and I absolutely detest the thought of switching to XP but I want hyperthreading.

From what I've read, the Zalman is not so great if you plan to OC much. Apparently it needs a better flowing fan (read louder) in order to cope with higher stress loads.

I chose to go with a Thermalright SP-94 with a Panaflo High Speed 92mm fan. Supposed to be quieter than stock combo and offer much better cooling. From what I've read in various forums, this heatsink doesn't require ultra high flow fans to net good performance. Decent review here:

SP-94 + Panaflo 92mm High Speed

Back