• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

temp monitoring software, which is right?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jschuler24

Hi all,
I have built computers in the past, but nothing as advanced as my current project. I am still working on getting the computer stable, but that may take awhile with the components I have chosen from what I have read. I want to know about the temp monitors that came with my various components. One is the Corsair Link and the other is my motherboard's program. Here is a screenshot of the two: CPU_temp_screenshot.png
Which temp should I trust? The Corsair one (A) varies nearly 10 degrees while the other (B) stays steady about 5 degrees higher then the Corsair's upper temp.
Thanks,
Josh

**EDIT**
May have just answered my own question, but need some clarification. I opened CPUID HWMonitor and found that there are a few different temps, the CPU under the motherboard has the same temp as the one being reported by the motherboard software. The temp for the processor is corresponding to the Corsair temp. So these are measuring different parts of the computer. CPU_temp_screenshot2.png .

Last edited:
Welcome to OCF jschuler24

A couple things about the AMD FX temps. First the temps aren't accurate below 45c. You'll see al kinds of odd temps.
Next and the more important one. In HWMonitor you'll see the package temp and a CPU temp. Only one of them is actually measured by a sensor. That's the CPU temp which we call the socket here. There's a probe in the bottom of the CPU socket and that's where this is measured. The Package or core temp is actually based on some algorithm that AMD has come up with to "simulate" the core temp since there aren't any sensors in the die like Intel or the older Phenom II. Just try to keep the socket (cpu) at or below 72c and the package at 62c and you'll be fine.

Thank you for the reply. Knowing that one temp not an actual sensor is nice and I will focus on the CPU temp instead. Based on the research I have been doing since starting this build, it seems many people have had problems keeping this processor stable with all 8 cores going. I've had it put together for a week now and must say that the voltage settings seen in the first picture seem to be working well with it. I have not had a lock up since I put them there. Next I need to work on getting better air flow, which is why I wanted to know more about the readings I am getting.

nice to see someone come here with a Fx 9590 on a real motherboard! Assuming thats a Sabertooth. :shrug:

:thup: I can't tell you how many people have come through here trying to run that 9590 on a budget motherboard and have issues! The Saberkitty is a darn good board you should have a lot of fun with the Fx 9590 on it, with the right cooling.

Back