• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Temps HIGH with nh-d14... any suggestions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kugutsumin

Registered
Specs:

new nh-d14 changed from 5 year old corsair h50 with noctua nt-h1 tim
i7 860 lynnfield oc'ed to 4.0ghz (voltages 1.312vcore 1.4 vtt no vdroop) with HT on
ram g skill ripjaws 2x2gb 1600mhz [email protected] (and one g skill pis 2gb dimm)
evga p55 sli
rosewill 1300w lightning psu
2x evga gtx 570 sli
tower sunbeam transformer full tower

before i was getting 40c idle, near 99c prime95 on blend. pretty much the same now, what am i doing wrong? please advise. cpu is closing in on 4 years old, could the paste under the ihs be getting old or is it soldered?

What's your ambient temperature?

Definitely reseat the cooler with new paste.

Let me know how a remount does.

Use enough TIM to be between a pea and a grain of rice.

remounted with a dab a tiny bit bigger than a grain of rice, pushed the heatsink down and moved it all around. Same result reaches 90-99c in about 8 minutes of prime.

What do you mean "moved it all around"?
I have always simply pushed the heatsink down then bolted it down.

How many case fans do you have, where are they, what direction are they blowing air, and what fans are they?

noctua's instructions... push the heatsink against the chip, and move it around a bit to spread the paste.

http://postimg.org/image/5s4ftpvn1/
1 noctua 90mm fan on top blowing out, one noctua 90mm on the side blowing in, and one noctua 120mm in front bottom blowing in. Also one antec spotcool pulling air out of the cramped space in between gpus but i suspect that matters little. I also suspect my case is ****... confirm/deny?

on some coolers there is a bit of a curve and the orientation of the cooler have have a pretty big affect on temps. if a remount doesnt help I would rotate the cooler 90` and see if that helps

Compared to today's cases, yours has very little ventilation.

Dejo, I would agree if his wasn't mounted in the same orientation as mine.

Not bad, but look for things like:
- Bottom-mount PSU
- Cable Management
- Painted interior

Shouldn't need to spend more than ~$50-70 on the case, then ~$40 on some decent fans to finish filling the case up.

Please explain why painted interior matters. The reason the antec performance one looks so nice is it comes loaded with fans, i save 50$, the side fan mounted on the outside looks a bit strange but is perfect for a giant heatsink like the nh-d14. Counterpoint?

Please explain why painted interior matters. The reason the antec performance one looks so nice is it comes loaded with fans, i save 50$, the side fan mounted on the outside looks a bit strange but is perfect for a giant heatsink like the nh-d14. Counterpoint?

Painted interior simply looks better. Just something to consider, its something I look for in my cases.

The fans that come with cases are generally a piece of crap. FYI.

can you recommend a 120mm fan, a 140mm, and a 200mm then?

Noctua makes great fans.
I've got some Xigmatek fans that do pretty well (especially when you get them on sale)
I've heard Cougar makes pretty good fans as well.

Maybe consider Fractal Design Arc Midi. Comes with 3x 140mm fans, not a 180mm, and can use 6x 140mm fans. $64.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352031

Or Define R4. Also 3x 140mm fans. Can use 6x 140mm fans $109.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352020

I would use the stock fans as exhaust.. maybe bottom intake.. and get 2-3x 140mm PWM cooler fans for intakes and a Swiftech 8-way splitter or a couple Rosewill PWM splitters ($3.99 each) and use motherboard cpu fan header PWM signal to control their speed same as cpu cooler. ;)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119248
Everything I build now has case fans speed controlled based on component heat. It makes a very quiet system when not under heavy load.. and depending on GPU, etc. are usually quiet even under load.

Arctic F14 PWM is only $11.99 but still a decent fan
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186081

Noctua NF-A14 PWM is arguable the best but is in the $25.00 range. BitFenix Spectre PWM and Cougar are good and reasonably priced.

Edit:
I have found Thermalright TY-140/141/143/145/147 fans to be very good. I can get TY-147 for £5-6.00 and use them often, but they are not readily available everywhere. They are not 140x140mm square.. but can be made square if you have right tools.
TY-140sqedgeblk300_1rezpsf8ad4b35_zpse71b8f60.jpg TY-140sqfrtcrop300_zps77e39e28.jpg

Scythe GlideStream 140 PWM is very good . . . so is Slip Stream 140XT PWM, it's square and very good.. if you can find them at reasonable price.
41Ftb3hzX3L._SY300_.jpg
images

Last edited:
Doyll you're on the right track :thup:

The Fractal cases are top notch and any of the fans you listed should do great.

Back