• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Temps on a QX9770

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cdub

I picked up an Ibuypower rig (somehow they sell them cheaper than you can build them for nowadays)... It's a QX9770 on a EVGA 790i. I've gotten a pretty stable OC at 4.0 ghz with 10x1600 / 1.30v, but my temps are alarming me a bit. At load it's hitting 88, 89 degrees (according to coretemp which may be way off).

It's using the default liquid cooling that came preinstalled (IBP-Z001), but bear in mind the room temp can hit 40 degrees C (105 F) on a hot day here (no air conditioning). Right now room temp is about 27 (80 F). Could this be why my temps are so high or do you think the cooler might need to be reseated?

Your high ambient temps would be the main factor, I'd suggest clocking down the CPU to something that can keep the CPU at or under 70C full load. Coolest the water can ever be is your ambient temp, so as high as 40C plus the added CPU heat and your easily over 80C.

How can you tolerate room temps that high??? Man, I live in Arizona and my room feels hot at 80F.

I hear you man, I live in New England, and my room stays belowe 72* at all times or I feel like I'm going to die.

That's actually about what I'd expect from an OCed Qx9770 in a case with that cooler. That's an incredibly hot temp to run a CPU at, though... so I wouldn't recommend running your comp like that.

I hear you man, I live in New England, and my room stays belowe 72* at all times or I feel like I'm going to die.

I'm originally from minnisota, but I live in Missouri for the time being, and the heat is a killer. I have a seperate window A/C for my room on top of the Central air just to keep my room at about 70, in the winter, I benchmark with my room at about 40 degrees and stays at about constant 60 degrees...needless to say, I'm coldblooded

Word of advice, if you move to California, pick a place with air conditioning, or at least with windows that enable you to install a small one. My problem is that this building was thrown up in the 1920's. Don't even get me started on the electrical wiring. As for the heat, most of my daytime indoors is spent in only boxer shorts.

I managed to get the temps down a bit by opening up the case and pointing a circulating fan at the whole thing. I think this may just be how I have to leave it. This will make dust a problem, but better than the alternative.

My QX9650 will be here today, although I've got abit more cooling power, I'll shoot some temps this way so you can compare. You may use Realtemp instead of coretemp, but if your stuck to coretemp you gotta edit the tjmax to get the correct reading.

Back