• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The classic S12II-520 -vs- The new G-550

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shell

I need to buy 4 PSUs for midrange computers, they only really need a 400W PSU, but I have enough money to get S12II-520 or even the G-550.

The S12II-520 seems to offer cleaner power, but it's a groupie, but the G-550 is more efficient so runs cooler.

They'll be loaded 24/7 at ~300W, so the Gold saves a puny amount of power, but I only really care about longevity.

:shrug: I'm stuck.

I was using a lot of 400W Silencer3's, a group reg with good caps, but those were discontinued.

6 of one, half dozen of the other really. Both are quality units. I'd say get whatever is cheapest of the two.

I'd go for the G series if the price is similar. I might pay $15-$20 extra for the G.
The S12-II is an excellent platform, but I'm not sure they're all getting Japanese caps these days, and I like efficiency (not that it really matters at 300).

Really doesn't matter all that much, though.

I'd go for the G series if the price is similar. I might pay $15-$20 extra for the G.
The S12-II is an excellent platform, but I'm not sure they're all getting Japanese caps these days, and I like efficiency (not that it really matters at 300).

Really doesn't matter all that much, though.

I think I'll go G, the pfc cap is 420v instead of 400v... although I don't know what voltage the pfc runs at, doesn’t matter much on 120v mains though.

Back