• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

the COLDBANGER project (my pretty custom case)!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
BUILD WEEK(S) PROGRESS!!!

Hello everyone!

It's been way too long since I've posted on what I've been doing and how the build has been going for the week.

Seems like all my spare time has been put into working on detail work, etc.

The final build has been much simpler than I thought it would be as things seem to be going together really well and coming along nicely.

The only parts I have left to order for the build are:

CPU
GPU
HDDs
Fan filters
RAM heatsinks (as if I'd keep them red, lol)
Thermal compound (Indigo Xtreme)
New mouse (which will get modded to match pad vol knob, kb)

I will be ordering all of this stuff at once on my next order, just have to wait for the money to come in.

I've finished and mounted the back plate and will wait to mount the RAD to it until I have all the parts in so I can build all of the water cooled stuff all at once.

Build Pics!
mess1.jpg
Well, here goes...

posts.jpg
Support posts to mount mesh to

build1.jpg
Progress!

bottom2.jpg
PSU mounted.

bottom3.jpg
Most of the wires ran.

bottom4.jpg
All done!

top.jpg
Lots of stuff

top2.jpg
But it all fits! I will probably end up painting those screw heads black

sleeving.jpg
NO COLORED WIRING!!!

usbwires.jpg
Much better!

fanhole.jpg
Hole drilled for fan wires

lcdhole.jpg
LCD panel finished and mounted

back5.jpg
Marked and ready to cut

back6.jpg
Time for the hand file :(

back7.jpg
DONE!

back8.jpg
I'm happy with it!

dvd2.jpg
DVD drive finished and mounted

top3.jpg
All wires up from the shelves

front3.jpg
At present.

I'm making little touch ups here and there with my flat black paint and need to correct a few small things. All detail work at this point.

Once I get all the rest of my parts in, it shouldn't take me more than a day or two to have this baby up and runnin'!

Thanks again for all of your support! I'll have progress as it comes!

:attn:

Wow it looks incredible. I love the color of the wood you chose, looks like something you'd buy at Ikea lol. Can't wait to see it all finished up. :thup:

That is by far the best looking open air case I've ever seen. Excellent work; can't wait to see it completed!

Fascinating browsing through this. Even if it is far outside of my own sheltered comfort zone -where I occasionally day dream about a server / HTPC in a coffee table or a cardboard motherboard box benching station- the craftsmanship is of exceedingly high quality. Very origional and very organic.

havent checked in, in a while, and its amazing :) im liking the mesh panels, i know you dont see them but every detail counts! they kind of give it a tough look, but the shape of the wood keeps it nice and soft.

Wow! This is really impressive. I wish I could do work like that, but alas, I'm not so good with computer construction (working on it). Anyway, this is a completely silly question, but what is the LCD screen for? Again, I'm a newbie, so yeah...

Other than that, it's pulling together really nicely and I'd really like to see this thing up and running!

Thank you! I can't wait to see it complete at this point myself!

what is the LCD screen for?

It is for temp monitoring and fan control. It is this but modified to mount on my case as opposed to sitting on a desk.

All finished ordering!

HELLO everyone!

Just a heads up that I'm very excited 'cause I just finished ordering the very last of ALL the parts to finally make this baby scream!

Expect to have them all in by Monday at the latest.

I'll continue posting pics and progress as I have them/it!

:attn::attn:

HELLO everyone!

Just a heads up that I'm very excited 'cause I just finished ordering the very last of ALL the parts to finally make this baby scream!

Expect to have them all in by Monday at the latest.

I'll continue posting pics and progress as I have them/it!

:attn::attn:

What were the last parts? Just a GPU?

What were the last parts? Just a GPU?

GPU
CPU
HDD
TIM
Ram heatsinks
Fan grills and filters
Mouse

Was going to get another SSD to raid0 them but will wait on that.

can't wait ;)

GPU
CPU
HDD
TIM
Ram heatsinks
Fan grills and filters
Mouse

Was going to get another SSD to raid0 them but will wait on that.

can't wait ;)

That's a hefty parts list! I'd love to get that package in the mail :D post your progress soon, I am looking forward to this. Btw, what water blocks are you using?

I am looking forward to this.

Oh, believe me ;) I am too!

what water blocks are you using?

CPU- Heatkiller 3.0
GPU- Coolance 460 block (aesthetically modded) hee hee!

Doing some minor detail work today so I can be pretty much plug and play ready once the parts come in!

COMPLETE AND RUNNING!

HELLO EVERYONE!

Fyi, I'm writing this reply from the new box!

This build has been a challenge, adventure, headache but, most of all, a blast to work on from day one.

I want to extend my thanks to all of you for your support, encouragement and appreciation for this project. It definitely helped keep the fire going at times.

Overall, this project ended up costing approx. $3,500 and took nearly 7 months to complete (mostly because of financial reasons).

I want to extend special thanks to the following people and companies:

Overclockers.com
Performance-pcs.com
Frozencpu.com
Ace hardware
MNPCTech.com
Inland Fixture Co., Spokane
WoodCraft, Spokane
Conumdrum from Overclockers.com
Skinnee, Skinneelabs.com
Corel
(Everyone else I forgot who put up with all of my questions, etc during the last 7 months)

I will always continue posting here as I make small changes and if I ever add or subtract anything. This will be my home base for changes, etc. You'll always be kept up to date, no worries! (I do have room for another rad and pump remember)!

I have managed to overclock the system to 4.2Ghz stable and it pretty much screams. The ram is running at 1600Mhz. I have not touched the GPU yet, but may later. The pump is a little louder than I thought it would be but will be setting up PWM for it here shortly. The system idles at around 27C with a 22-23 ambient and have not seen it hit 60C yet even during burn-in tests. I also have not installed the Indigo-Xtreme TIM yet. Just using Arctic Silver Ceramique so far.

Here are the latest build/assembly pics and some pics of the final product.

lastorder.jpg
My very last order (until I upgrade or add new stuff)!

vid1.jpg
The GPU just before modding

vid2.jpg
Eww! Nvidia TIM!

vid3.jpg
Back of the block with the TIM pads in place

radfront.jpg
The radiator (front view) all assembled with fans, shrouds and grills

radback.jpg
The radiator from the back

cpu1.jpg
CPU block installed. Had to use anti-kink coils here, but oh well.

ram1.jpg
The RAM heatsinks. MUCH better than the red stock ones!

Final pics:

case1.jpg

case2.jpg

case3.jpg

case4.jpg

case5.jpg

case6.jpg

case7.jpg

case8.jpg

Again, thank you all so much for the input, support and encouragement.

I'll update as changes occur and will check back often!

Erik
:rock: :attn: :rock:

Last edited:
Dude, that is phenomenal work. Congratulations.

I think the only thing I would personaly change would be to add some anti-kink coils to the GPU loop, for no other reason but for aesthetic continuity. You seriously need to enter that in some competitions. I recommend you contact CPU Magazine and give them your pictures and work log. I think you have an outstanding shot at making their cover and perhaps even an article.

http://www.computerpoweruser.com/DigitalEditions/Default.aspx

Thank you.

Yes, I did consider doing anti-kink coils on the GPU lines as well, but they were installed first and adding them the the CPU lines was merely and afterthought / requirement.

Easy enough to implement and, you're definitely right. Will do!

I'm honored at your suggestion regarding the magazine article as well. I'll highly consider it after I finish up the very last of the detail work (changing all the LEDs to match, etc)

I'll keep you all posted!

:)

Please do. Again, man, awesome project. I've enjoyed watching this one. I think it has to potential to win awards and recognition. If you are at all into it, I think this is an excellent opportunity to showcase your work.

Really. Mad props.

I was just going to suggest sending it in to CPU mag as well. They reward $1,500 if your case mod is featured. Your mod is very very promising. I think your GTX 460 is a little lonely all by itself... maybe you should add a friend or two in Sli xD

I love this build, absolutely perfect build man, awesome to hear you'll be sticking around :thup:

Back