• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

the COLDBANGER project (my pretty custom case)!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I haven't picked up a copy of CPU in about two years, but I'm going to blindly assert that your case should have won, period. You absolutely should re-submit.

Last edited:
I haven't picked up a copy of CPU in about two years, but I'm going to blindly assert that your case should have one, period. You absolutely should re-submit.

CPU has really declined in good content the last few months. There were two writers (Rob "CmdrTaco" Malda and Barry Brenesal) who would write very interesting articles every issue in their own little sections ("The Department of Stuff" and the "Cutting Edge") and were partly the reason why I even read CPU. A few months ago they suddenly vanished and the magazine is barely worth reading anymore. Also, a lot of their reviews are mostly summing up the product specs and then just recommending it without really saying much about the product. So, I wouldn't be too disappointed if you aren't featured, the magazine isn't that great.

Very very nice and the attention to detail is shaming the rest of us ( at least me).

If they took a case mod that was "prettier" than that, I'd love to see it :)

Keep up the good work.

CPU has really declined in good content the last few months. There were two writers (Rob "CmdrTaco" Malda and Barry Brenesal) who would write very interesting articles every issue in their own little sections ("The Department of Stuff" and the "Cutting Edge") and were partly the reason why I even read CPU. A few months ago they suddenly vanished and the magazine is barely worth reading anymore. Also, a lot of their reviews are mostly summing up the product specs and then just recommending it without really saying much about the product. So, I wouldn't be too disappointed if you aren't featured, the magazine isn't that great.

I'm sad to hear that. CPU used to be my PC magazine of choice a few years ago. They used to be top-notch. I haven't picked up an issue and read through it in probably three years.

Great work, you should be proud of that build, cos it looks like nothing i have ever seen.

Original, open, yet so clean. I do have one question though. Looks like your not scared to open up hardware and see whats inside, play around with wires and what not.

How come you didnt just open up the PSU, and take out the the circut board, and mount that straight to the buttom of the case/stand?

Hello all. Thanks for your comments and support!

Sorry for the delay in responding, for some reason I haven't been getting sub'd notifications any more :(

I did re-submit about a week ago and, well, I'll guess we'll see. It was certainly not my intention when building this case to win anything at all as I didn't even know about the article until after the case was completed. So, either way, I'm still happy!

How come you didnt just open up the PSU, and take out the the circut board, and mount that straight to the buttom of the case/stand?

Awesome idea really! Didn't even think of it to be honest. I may have subconsciously been leery of such as I did seem to ruin one PSU during the build process after taking it apart. Go figure eh? ;)

I learned a lot from doing this build and am honestly surprised it actually turned on the first time I pressed the power button! So much unusual about it, I must say the insecent attention to detail and hundreds of hours of research, drawings, and build time must have paid off, lol.

Box is running great as ever today. I find I don't really use the touch screen much, simply because I don't have to. Never seems to go above 45C when gaming with the fans still at 800 rpm ;). The screen is a nice touch though and, if nothing else, looks cool. Just not cool enough to be in a magazine I guess! lol.

Thanks again for the feedback. I'll check back more frequently ;)

Absolutely exceptional work my friend. That is very very unique I love it. Not my style but I am not qualified to judge someone else' creativity. Its a shame you don't have more of the proper tool. Which brings me to my next point of great job on using what you got to get it done.

Well congrats on an amazing build I have no doubt it will expand to cover any needs you have for some time.

I know I'm definitely late to the punch, but I just read through your whole build log and am warning you that I might come and take that rig from you! I'm just kidding, that's one extremely impressive system! :thup:

WOW! Amazing work! Cant believe you milled all that out with a drill-press though!

A Bridgeport would have took you a lot less time if you know someone that has one.

AMAZING WORK! perfect execution, find someone with a DSLR Camera that can give that machine justice!

This is by far one of the most unique builds I have ever seen. The color of the wood is awesome, and for working with wood, this is just incredible.

Nice one man!

Back