• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Installing & Using F@H

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks. I needed to uninstall FAH from a comp. It was just getting these little 44 pointers, although it put out about 2 of them a day. Also it has HT and I only had it running one WU at a time. So I just wanted to stem the flow of WU so I that I could make the machine produce more points.

Mr.Guvernment said:
maybe i missed it, but how do i get this to run and use dual cores?

Just run 2 instances ... EXCEPT if you are running the graphical (5/03) client .. if you run the grahical client and want a second instance, you have to add a second directory with the non-graphical console ... you cannot run 2 instances of the graphical client.

Wedos 1 click for dually/ht will get you 2 going quickly as services on a new install ... or if you run the 5/02/5/04 desktop console already just have 2 directories with the non-grahical folding console of your choice (ie. 5.02 or 5.04) ... make sure 1 instance (directory) has machine id=1 in client.cfg and the other instance has machineid=2 and you will will have 2 folding instances.

if using wedo's 1 click, you probably want the advmethods version. And you probably want bigpackets=yes.

I am assuming you already have some familiarity with the console setup.

/edit If you need more help, start a thread (i miss the sticky posts sometimes) describing what folding you already have installed on the rig if any. It will make it easier to give you a simple method for setting up a second instance.

after you have downloaded a F@H how do you go back and change a setting.

Also is there away to have it only on when the computer is idle?

nice guide

Two questions... First, how do I change the settings to have it running as a service. I started folding on my laptop (my second folding computer) when my laptop was not running well. I was planning on taking it in to have work and I did not wan't to start folding immediately. Well, I got it back and wan't to change it so it is a service. Second, can I connect to the internet at the beginning to get a WU and at the end to send the WU and not be connected at all times. I ask this because I will probably have three computers folding in my apartment in a few months and I was planning on sharing the internet connection there between the computers. Thanks.

Matt

First of all... :welcome: to teh Fold!

Secondly, I fear your questions might be getting over looked because you're posting in this sticky. Next time try starting a thread with your question. :thup:

@Squashky: Two places to changes settings. Here's a thread by the garynator on editing startup flags -> http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=443998 Also, you need to find the client.cfg file in the FAH install directory. I like to use metapad to edit the client.cfg file. It's a unix binary format file, so be careful if you try and edit it with notepad. Thread by THF on the client.cfg options -> http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=435860

@mkorpal: I like Wedo's One-Click for service installs... very clean. Much cleaner than the standard Stanford service install IMO. -> http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=231247 It's best to have your FAH machines "plugged-in" at all times... but by all means if you have to disconnect and reconnect to obtain WUs, do it! :thup: With a little clearer info about your setup and machines I and others could give you some better advice regarding the network/WAN setup. ;)

Thanks. I'll play around with it tomorrow. If all goes as planned. I will have my current desktop in a new case. It's my 2.8 Northwood in my sig. I will also have my laptop which is a 3.33 Prescott. And I will have a new conroe system. The problem will be space, as I will be in a very small space in a few months and I don't want to live in a sauna. But if I get the apartment I want, utilities will be included in the rent, so I can use as much power as I wan't. I might also spend a few hundred more and get another 805 with a powersupply, good motherboard, and some memory and put together a sweet diskless folder, but money and space will be a big factor plus I am a weak person and easily addicted.

Does the guide suggest a place to put the downloaded client before starting it? EDIT: Went back and read thru it again,its there I just missed it.

Last edited:
Unstuck as this is now linked to from Dark_15's thread.

Is there a way to not show in the taskbar? Maybe show a little icon by the clock instead?

s[H]sIkuA said:
Yea I need to hide it from the taskbar ,do I need additional software ? :)

There is a tool called trayit that will do that for you.

google it, or it might be linked off the welcome sticky. :)

I just switched from Gentoo to Debian Etch folding VM.

I created an fah folder in my home folder so all I have to do is cd fah to get in the directory and then the command line ./fah6 -smp -verbosity 9

I downloaded the fah tar and dropped it into the fah directory and a simple click on it allows you to untar it there.

Then do the ./fah6 -configonly to set it up the way you like it for a linux VM instance SMP_FAH.

Back