• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The completely unsolvable computer problem! No one knows! Worlds greatestMystery

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SPL Tech

I've had a problem that seems to be a flaw in computers in general. It seems to have no remedy whatsoever. Sometimes when I boot up my PC, for the first few seconds any letters I type are delayed. Like if I type a sentence, the characters will pop up O....N....E A.....T A T....I.....M.....E very slowly. This is true regardless if I am typing in Windows or Firefox or MS Word or anything else. Almost always closing the program and reopening it immediately fixes it, otherwise if I just wait 20 seconds or so it will go away. It only happens when restarting the computer, never once the computer has been up and running for a bit.

Here is the kicker though. The issue has persisted for years with 5 different computers. I have literately swapped everything out to include even the freakin mouse pad, computer desk and my case. Every single PC component, even the OS itself has been changed. It's an issue I had with Windows 7 and 8.1 and now Windows 10 even. I have used different keyboards, mouse, monitor, even speakers. Literately "everything" has been swapped multiple times except the PSU. Reformating the HD or even changing the OS does not solve the problem. It always comes back fairly quickly. It doesent happen on a fresh install of Windows, but once I start installing games, Firefox, VTC Media, ect it always comes back. I've had the issue not only on my desktop but both of my laptops too!

The only component I havent ever changed out is the PSU, but I dont see how it could matter as I dont have any power problems, crashes, ect and PSUs dont cause software problems like this. I dont run very much on startup. Just the minimal I need for the computer to work and a tad extra.

I've had a problem that seems to be a flaw in computers in general. It seems to have no remedy whatsoever. Sometimes when I boot up my PC, for the first few seconds any letters I type are delayed. Like if I type a sentence, the characters will pop up O....N....E A.....T A T....I.....M.....E very slowly. This is true regardless if I am typing in Windows or Firefox or MS Word or anything else. Almost always closing the program and reopening it immediately fixes it, otherwise if I just wait 20 seconds or so it will go away. It only happens when restarting the computer, never once the computer has been up and running for a bit.

Here is the kicker though. The issue has persisted for years with 5 different computers. I have literately swapped everything out to include even the freakin mouse pad, computer desk and my case. Every single PC component, even the OS itself has been changed. It's an issue I had with Windows 7 and 8.1 and now Windows 10 even. I have used different keyboards, mouse, monitor, even speakers. Literately "everything" has been swapped multiple times except the PSU. Reformating the HD or even changing the OS does not solve the problem. It always comes back fairly quickly. It doesent happen on a fresh install of Windows, but once I start installing games, Firefox, VTC Media, ect it always comes back. I've had the issue not only on my desktop but both of my laptops too!

The only component I havent ever changed out is the PSU, but I dont see how it could matter as I dont have any power problems, crashes, ect and PSUs dont cause software problems like this. I dont run very much on startup. Just the minimal I need for the computer to work and a tad extra.

Tinfoil Hat time but... Have you tried isolating a fresh install from your network for a few days/weeks/hours/whatever seems appropriate? If the problem persists even with no network access then I feel confident in saying that you have a case of demon possession in your hardware, but until then I gotta think that with the steps you have taken and all that Hass been replaced that there must be some sort of infection, but I am willing to be wrong. I just can't see what else could be the problem with literally every piece of hardware swapped out at one point or another.

Curious to see what others say and what the solution ends up being. Good luck

Seems like an issue i had that made the mouse slow (everything else looked fine for day to day), turned out to be my RAM wasn't 100% stable. If the only part changed wasn't the PSU it could be that it's on it's last legs ? or a game/program that you keep installing that might have malware/virus in it ?

In order to isolate it, you will have to do a better job troubleshooting it. You say it bappens when you install, then list a slew of programs. Go one by one and find out which it is. ;)

Don't focus solely on Start Up items. Look at background Services that load upon Start. Some of these are pretty hoggish with resources.

I see that behaviour too. It's just that your PC isn't fully started even though you're in Windows. There are still many services etc.. that are starting. If you try to open and type in a MS word or FF while something else is opening then it's going to be slow. I don't think it's so much of a problem as it is a lack of patience :chair:

I see that behaviour too. It's just that your PC isn't fully started even though you're in Windows. There are still many services etc.. that are starting. If you try to open and type in a MS word or FF while something else is opening then it's going to be slow. I don't think it's so much of a problem as it is a lack of patience :chair:

This. Watch the drive activity light when this is happening.

Don't type so fast. Plus you should try hibernating. I rarely shutdown anymore because I don't like to type. TG my fingerprint reader works great.

:rofl:

Better stop computing and move to some other activity that suits you better ! Like a real job or something... :rofl:

. It doesent happen on a fresh install of Windows, but once I start installing games, Firefox, VTC Media, ect it always comes back. I've had the issue not only on my desktop but both of my laptops too!

I don't want to be pedantic here, but I think you've already narrowed down your issues. One of these programs you're installing either has a memory leak problem, or is malware and your computer is graciously mining bit coins on a zombie network. (yes thats a real thing).

Go in to the BIOS and make sure the USB isn't set to partial or delayed. The default settings in the BIOS are probably set to one of the two, and you may be trying to type while the mobo is trying to load them. Just a thought. It's that or Johan45's quite likely explanation.

Go in to the BIOS and make sure the USB isn't set to partial or delayed. The default settings in the BIOS are probably set to one of the two, and you may be trying to type while the mobo is trying to load them. Just a thought. It's that or Johan45's quite likely explanation.

He's claiming its the same problem across multiple computers. Definitely a malware problem at this point.

Back