• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The F@H client.cfg broken down

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TollhouseFrank

Senior Headphone Guru
If you use the Service/Console setup of F@H, then this is an example of what it should "GENERALLY" look like and explanations for each part. I will use double stars ** to denote a description of each line... I am taking this info from my client.cfg, so realize this doesn't cover every concievable option, but i believe is pretty darn close. The [http] section is left incomplete, as I haven't been able to find definitions for any of those entries.

ALSO, A BIG THANKS TO CHASR FROM OCFORUMS.COM FOR HELPING ME FIX A FEW MISTAKES IN MY DEFINITIONS.

[settings]
username=F(OC)LD
**obvious, the name that shows up when you turn in work**

team=32
**the team you fold for, in this case, Team32 is Overclockers.com**

asknet=no
**should the machine ask for permission before uploading complete work? Really only useful in a dial-up situation, or if you have certain times of the day you are allowed net access**

machineid=1
**this is very useful when folding more than one instance on a PC, example: DualProc or DualCore systems, or Hyperthreaded systems. Machineid can be 1-8, which means you can have up to 8 instances at once on a single machine, provided you have the CPU's and RAM to do it.**

local=548
**this shows how many WU's this machine (or instance if more than one instance on a machine) has completed to date. It's a good way to keep track on how much work (not how many points, but how many WU's) that one instance of F@H has done. This also shows up in the FAHLog.txt when you have the (without quotes)"-verbosity 9" flag turned on. In this case, my machine has done 548 wu's since this instance of F@H was installed (had quite a few EUE's while attempting to OC this thing and get it folding stable, but it never happened to be stable to fold at ANY OC)**

bigpackets=yes

**allows downloading of WU's greater than 5mb in size. These usually have bonus points and are worth the most, but can take up huge chunks of RAM, especially the QMD's.**

[http]
active=no

host=localhost

port=8080

usereg=no

[clienttype]
type=1

**1 = Normal. 2 = Machine is too slow to finish normal WU's, so if you give it a 2 as client-type, it will only ask for and fold Timeless WU's. If you are running console version 5.04, then a type=3 is the same as putting in the -advmethods flag**

nonet=yes

**when combined with type=2, this will cause the client to download 10 deadlineless WUs. The client will regularly (6 hours) attempt to connect to the net after the completion of 7 to upload completed WUs and download 7 new ones.**

[core]
priority=0

**0=idle priority, it folds when nothing else is using the CPU. 1=Low Priority. I do not recommended priority=1 unless it is a dedicated folding boxen that is used for NOTHING else but folding.**

cpuusage=100

**how much of the CPU's power it will use when folding. This WILL scale back as the user demands more and more of the CPU**

disableassembly=no

**Setting this to yes would disable assembly optimizations (SSE, SSE2, 3DNow) and slow all WUs using cores other than Tinker and Amber to a crawl. Only disable optimizations on a machine that is unstable when using SIMD optimizations.**

checkpoint=30

**frequency of intermediate checkpoints. A checkpoint is written at the completion of every frame plus intermediately at checkpoint=xx (30 being max). It doesn't hurt production much on most WU's, but it doesn't make much sense to have the checkpoint set to anything other than 30 on rigs running 24/7 unless power failures or system hangs occur frequently. It makes no sense if you're folding QMDs to set checkpoints to 15 if it takes 15'10" to complete a frame. The two checkpoints will be 10 seconds apart then 15 minutes. Tinkers don't use intermediate checkpoints.**

ignoredeadlines=no

**set this to yes if you're in the process of overclocking your machine. Set to no, if the clock resets to bios day one, ususlly several years in the past, you'll lose every WU you submit that was downloaded with the wrong date.**

[power]
battery=no

**useful only for laptops. When it detects that the lappy is running in battery-mode only, then F@H will shut down if this option is turned to yes**

and here is my client.cfg to see what it looks like WITHOUT the definitons. Remember, this is for my machine and these settings may not work for everyone.

Code:
[settings]
username=F(OC)LD
team=32
asknet=no
machineid=1
local=548
bigpackets=yes

[http]
active=no
host=localhost
port=8080
usereg=no

[clienttype]
type=1

[core]
priority=0
cpuusage=100
disableassembly=no
checkpoint=30
ignoredeadlines=no

[power]
battery=no

Last edited:
nice explanation, frank. would be more great if you include a screenshoot of the client.cfg in notepad box. (save it as gif or png, not jpg)...
:)

I've got a couple of things that need a little clarification.
The appearance of client.cfg will be slightly different depending on which version of FAH you install. Frank's description is for 5.02 installed using Wedo's one click.

local=xxx
Wedo's one click's start at 362. You should edit this to 0 on the first install if you'd like the number to be correct (or subtract 362).

client type=x
client type 2 is overridden by -advmethods and/or bigpackets

priority=0
the reason to set priority to 1 is when two distributed computing projects are running. FAH won't get any cpu cycles if set to idle. There is no performance to be gained from priority=1 to a dedicaded rig because it is always idle. FAH will affect the performance of a non dedicated rig if set to 1.

cpuusage=xxx.
Technically this sets the percentage of cpu time FAH is allowed. set to 95 it uses 100% of the cycles 95% of the time.

battery=no.
I've always assumed if set to no, FAH would not run when the laptop was on battery. I've never seen this written down though.
Edit: I had it backwards. The question asked when you run the client with the -configonly flag is "Pause if battery power is being used". The answer to this is yes, if you're running a laptop..

Last edited:
ihrsetrdr said:
Thanks for the tutorial...I learned something! All but a couple of my machines should be set to
[core]
priority=1

:)

I also learned this from Frank's fine tutorial. Thanks!! :)

ETA: Whoops, just saw ChasR's posts as well. I will set the boxen according to the above directions. Thanks gents!

Nice work Frank :thup:

now once stable ... we need to attach this to one of the stickies - Dark's?

/edit ... or perhaps a new sticky consolidating some of the 'experienced folders' threads that were being discussed for addition to dark_15's? ... like farming, optimizations, etc

Might be best to not overwhelm new users with too much info at once?

yeah. Dark was wantin' to work with me on the uber-sticky... but i haven't been able to catch him online long enough to figure out what he wanted done.

TollhouseFrank said:
yeah. Dark was wantin' to work with me on the uber-sticky... but i haven't been able to catch him online long enough to figure out what he wanted done.

edited my last post

pscout said:
/edit ... or perhaps a new sticky consolidating some of the 'experienced folders' threads that were being discussed for addition to dark_15's? ... like farming, optimizations, etc

Might be best to not overwhelm new users with too much info at once?

That could work. I think whoever did the "FAH Flags" thread needs to update it, or someone else needs to do a new one. That thread was made with the Last Client, and some of hte flags no longer apply.

Problem is... version 6.0 of the client is coming out soon this year (from rumor's i've heard circulating), and it will have a few more flags (like the highly anticipated GPU Folding flag that i've heard rumor of also being in version 6.0 of the client)

bumpage for big update. Did a slight reformat on the styling, and added the new client-type config i wasn't aware of before.

Here is what i'm talking about:

[clienttype]
type=1
**1 = Normal. 2 = Machine is too slow to finish normal WU's, so if you give it a 2 as client-type, it will only ask for and fold Timeless WU's. If you are running console version 5.04, then a type=3 is the same as putting in the -advmethods flag**

A couple of things that were not touched upon or were just wrong. The pause on battery works with desktops / servers too. I have found that if you install the software that comes WITH the UPC, (APC, Belkin - Bulldog etc.) then the pause on battery will NOT work. If you let and can get WINDOWS to control the battery and set the battery options in Windows, FAH will pause. I know because my main rig and all of my servers I take care of all pause when running on battery.

Next, usereg=no can be VERY important, though not likely unless you are an evil SysAdmin like me :D See, I restrict internet through GPO's in Active Directory. The way that I do this is I will create a GPO (Group Policy Object for j00 n00bs) and the only 2 edits I will make in this policy are in the Internet Explorere settings. I tell IE to use a PROXY (this is where the evil part comes in lol), the address of this proxy is, ehhm, 127.0.0.1. The second edit is to REMOVE the connection settings tab from IE altogether so this can not be undone by users. Whammo Bammo - I then select the p00ns (or create a 'no internet for j00' group) I want to never be able to surf the net. The best part is that once a user is set to this group, no matter what computer he logs onto, he will NEVER get net access. I have watched a user log onto more than 10 different machines before I let him know it was never gonna happen. Users that ARE NOT on this list, will have net access no matter what machine they log onto.

Now that my story is boring you to death, the point of this is I can NOT have usereg=yes or I would never connect to stanford.

nikhsub1 said:
A couple of things that were not touched upon or were just wrong. The pause on battery works with desktops / servers too. I have found that if you install the software that comes WITH the UPC, (APC, Belkin - Bulldog etc.) then the pause on battery will NOT work. If you let and can get WINDOWS to control the battery and set the battery options in Windows, FAH will pause. I know because my main rig and all of my servers I take care of all pause when running on battery.

Next, usereg=no can be VERY important, though not likely unless you are an evil SysAdmin like me :D See, I restrict internet through GPO's in Active Directory. The way that I do this is I will create a GPO (Group Policy Object for j00 n00bs) and the only 2 edits I will make in this policy are in the Internet Explorere settings. I tell IE to use a PROXY (this is where the evil part comes in lol), the address of this proxy is, ehhm, 127.0.0.1. The second edit is to REMOVE the connection settings tab from IE altogether so this can not be undone by users. Whammo Bammo - I then select the p00ns (or create a 'no internet for j00' group) I want to never be able to surf the net. The best part is that once a user is set to this group, no matter what computer he logs onto, he will NEVER get net access. I have watched a user log onto more than 10 different machines before I let him know it was never gonna happen. Users that ARE NOT on this list, will have net access no matter what machine they log onto.

Now that my story is boring you to death, the point of this is I can NOT have usereg=yes or I would never connect to stanford.

Nik... that was info i didn't know about. I had never heard of people using the battery option with UPS's before, and until your explanation of usereg, i didn't know whast it was for.

Thanks for the updates, and I"ll add your info in here later when i'm not so brain dead tired.

it will be linked to in the mass sticky. However, Dark_15 is very busy with RL, and hasn't had the time yet to get that mass-sticky updated. He should be able to do it soon though (i'm sure i can get hold of him to let him know)

jcw122 said:
thanks, didn't need most of that, but other parts helped.

if even 1 bit of info in the entire post (and the added bits from ChasR and nikhsub1).... helped you out, then it did it's job

Back