• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The F@H client.cfg broken down

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
When using a linux client, I recomend changing this:

[clienttype]
type=1

To:

[clienttype]
type=1
memory=2048

I was having big problems getting large workunits (anything giving more then 188points) to any of the linux based computers that where folding for me. I set that, and now they are all crunching on big packages. It should be set at the amount of memory you want to "show" the client.

I have one P4 which is dedicated to folding, but only has 1024MB of ram. I set it at memory=1024, and it was still fetching small packages... I set it at 2048 and it got big packages too :D

Frank, some other items to update include:

-some warnings/instructions about editiing clinet.cfg like the common problem of using wordpad/word instead of notepad.

- that the cleint.cfg is version specific to the console that you are using.

- that the 'official' way to create/edit the file is by using the -config or -configonly switches.

- And how some of us just clone an existing cleint.cfg and console.exe to create another instance ... on second thought maybe this one should go into another thread on 'cloning for the experienced user' who want to do it the manual way. This would include stuff like the use of the service option (which I have not played with (yet!).

Great Work! :thup:

ps. I have looked for something like this many times on folding.community.org and never found it ... i guess because the -config way is the only officially supported one? .... or maybe cuz i am such a dunce at doing good searches :eek:

Looked over this again, and that nonet thing will be helpful once (and if I can) get my highschool to start folding...ROCK ON!

Well, mine looks like this...

• config_yanz.txt

it is actually a unix formatted binary file.

I use a free editor called notepad (www.notepad.com) which makes it look 'normal' by interpreting the CR as CRLF.

Many people have problems if they edit with something like wordpad.

The only 'supported' method to edit it is by running the console with the '-config' or '-configonly'.

I have never had a problem with notepad.

Back