• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Hardware Destruction Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Heres a video of my attempt to overclock a hard-drive from 3gB to 20gB. Didn't turn out well...

The video and title confused me. I thought that you would attempt to shove more platers into the HDD (to make it bigger) but you only sped it up, increasing the RPMs. A better title would have been something like "Overvolting to make homemade 15k Raptor". While I know it isn't a big part of what you did it really bothers me, so i commented.

Otherwise an amusing video; do you still have it and can you do something else with it? Such as getting mad and stabbing the spinning platter with the screwdriver (while wearing appropriate safety equipment of course)?

The video and title confused me. I thought that you would attempt to shove more platers into the HDD (to make it bigger) but you only sped it up, increasing the RPMs. A better title would have been something like "Overvolting to make homemade 15k Raptor". While I know it isn't a big part of what you did it really bothers me, so i commented.

Otherwise an amusing video; do you still have it and can you do something else with it? Such as getting mad and stabbing the spinning platter with the screwdriver (while wearing appropriate safety equipment of course)?

Actually it was just a funny idea for a title my dad came up with. I only really wanted to destroy a hard drive.

Last edited:
I have a dead 754 mobo that deserves a last hurrah, and I'm thinking thermite would be fun to try. Anyone know some cheap sources of powered aluminum and powdered iron oxide?

Aluminium: buy a reltively cheap saucepan and file it dowm

Iron oxide: connect a DC powersupply up to a tank of salt water as in an electrode at each end and hook a large iron nail up to the one that fizzes less...

Thermite is f*cking dangerous. Don't go anywhere near it for about 5 minutes after burning it so it will cool down, then toss a bucket of water over it still to be safe. And be at least 10 yards away whilst it's burning, yo don't want a stray lump of metal flying into your eye!

ive acquired some more hardware but no camera yet!

my dad may let me use his... not sure but hmm...... i do have things that i can mix to go boom!

Glad to see this thread is still alive. I had some fun a few weekends ago with a nightmare of an old SOYO P4 mobo. I'll hopefully get the pics up tonight; but lets just say it had an encounter with a Mossberg 500 12Gauge.

Here's the carnage. I unloaded about 10 shots into the board with bird shot.

I dunno. Plug it in and switch on. Tell us the BIOS beep errors and maybe we will be able to help diagnose the problem. I think you may have a loose wire somewhere :confused: :confused: :confused:

<grave digging mode on>

Time to bump a good thread before it really gets buried as dead. I had an old Sony TRV67 that was well used. before it was retired, it was getting nearsighted (autofocus and manual focus died), had a hard time ejecting tape, the smaller LCD display was showing only garbage like corrupt character ROM, and finally it didn't want to power up (smoked when I plugged
in PSU)

Checking eBay, it seems a very dead 67's aren't worth shipping.

So with screw driver, plier (for slightly stubborn screws) and wire cutter (for really stubborn screws) I ripped it apart:

DSC04977.jpg the lens and CCD assembly. 3 servo motors for zoom and focus. I couldn't get any screws out so I'll have to dig out my Dremel and look for a tiny (and cheap disposable) drill to drill through the screws.

DSC04978.jpg
The shell of the camcorder.

DSC04981.jpg
Eviscerated entrails. :evil:

DSC04982.jpg
The LCD assembly. The small one is probably useless but if I can figure the power and timing of the main LCD (about 60mm or 2.4in viewable), I may be able to put it to some use. 5 leads are from power, 10 leads to LCD display (3 bit each RGB channel maybe?) and another that connects to an IC to the small LCD plus the volume buttons.

Another working item is the front light. As my current camcorder doesn't have one but it does have cold shoe I might rig up something.

Last edited:
How did this thread escape me?

Every year my university organizes a rather large lan party that lasts for 3 days and 3 nights and culminates into a wonderfully deranged 'Destruction Derby', where nerds of all ages proceed to unleash their fury into old, unsuspecting hardware.

Here's a nice photo and some youtube vids:

Of course the cleaning up afterwards wasn't that exciting :p

Here's the image posted above with a proper caption:

fingmonitorkp1.jpg

Also, here's the 'First Insult', a mod of sorts on a friend's PC...

firstinsultyz6.jpg

Note the heater that is being used to move air into the case (with the heating elements removed ofcourse).

...and here's the so-called 'Final Insult' (please note that the PC is on in this second photo, and working fine!)

finalinsultux5.jpg

I have a 10 year old socket 478 MOBO here, and in Omaha some more parts. Oh I have 1 possibly 2 dead PSUs lying around. I forsee a Nirvana style equipment smashing.

I have a 10 year old socket 478 MOBO here, and in Omaha some more parts. Oh I have 1 possibly 2 dead PSUs lying around. I forsee a Nirvana style equipment smashing.

Wow, you have a motherboard from 2 years before it was even available :beer: j/k, smash 'em good :D

Back