• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The "if your temps are too high" thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
sorry to get off topic but lets be realistic you bought the product I'm sure you saw the rating on itso why should the vendor take a hit for the customers mistake. Enough off topic but why not run em at 7v which should work.

SewerBeing said:
sorry to get off topic but lets be realistic you bought the product I'm sure you saw the rating on itso why should the vendor take a hit for the customers mistake. Enough off topic but why not run em at 7v which should work.
Well, they are still brand new, so why should he not take it back? I would be paying for shipping both ways, so what is the loss for him? To answer the 7v question... it's still loud at 7v, and anyways... I said earlier that I ran it on my fan controller which runs 6.3v ~ 10.5v... even 6.3v is not so quiet... it's quietER, but watercooling has its purposes: great cooling and quiet cooling.

7v is not SO loud, but still... I want to be able to set fans to a level where I can sleep comfortably overnight... these are so powerful that it still bothers me while I'm trying to sleep, so I have to keep turning off machine :(

g0dM@n sorry my sense of loudness was damaged when I got a tornado and I ran that 24/7 in the room I sleep in at 12v and I survived so its an opinion thing. So I'm not sure what to tell you there maybe run em from the 5V line directly without a rheostat? (red = 5v in a computer).

Yes, I know all of the electronics buddy. :) I have a good background in it, actually.

Anyways... I also ran a tornado 24/7 before... that was back in college about 2+ years ago. The 80mm nado with no fan controller would be on day and night in the only PC I had at the apartment I stayed at. After a few months I just COULDN'T take it anymore, and I bought a controller for it.

This fan seems to not push a lotta air at 5v... I feel like the weaker fans would run higher cfm if you matched the dba of them with the loud one at a weaker setting...

Silly sticky.

As was already said, some of this is the e-penis thingy.

Alhough my example may be at the extreme due to my mobo/cpu combo, the fact in my case is that with air:

idle=36c
max=65+c

With water:

idle=48c
max=53c

This cooling factor/delta allowed me to oc my cpu further, and with less vcore. Go figure..

Temps:

Bah!

Yeah, temps seem to be an E penis catagory, although one that is relative, and frequently incorrect.

I guess it depends on your main goal. If OCing is your main goal, then generally you will see people posting OCs to toute their E Penis, and in the same goes for people for whom cooling is a primary goal.

The problem with spouting off about your temps, is they are relative. Just because you have a temp of XX degrees doesn't mean you are doing a better job cooling than someone with higher temps. Often that gets lost on many people who only see the temp reading as the end all calculation on how well their cooling solution is performing.

Okay, now that you guys both said it... what does that mean? (I don't think I need to tell you what I'm asking... I'm sure it's blatantly obvious...

E Penis refers to basically anything computer or internet related where bragging or showboating is concerned.

Liek saying My Oc is 4GHZ would be whipping out the e Penis.

HAHA... I just refreshed to see if anyone posted b/c I wanted to edit my post... I thought about it and got it already... thx anyways... 1st time I hard it, btw.

My E-Penis will be whipping out when I get my 7800GTX in the mail. :)

Lol there ya go!

Hopefully I'll be putting the 512mb version of the 7800 this winter (I think its due out late fall).

512mb, eh? Didn't hear about that, but I mean... is that even necessary?

I was going to start a new thread, but this is a real good example of clogged jets inside a block (number 7 above), so here it is:

I pulled the RBX when I installed the new G5 last week, but I needed to clean up my work area (kitchen table) so I went to clean the block before packing it away. When I pulled the tubing off of it and looked inside, it looked like the jet insert was a strainer picking up all sorts of debris so I took the whole block apart to see just how bad it was. The first pic is the block with just the top removed and the second pic is the "clean" block with what it collected in front of it. The material looks "stringy", like some sort of textile. I have no idea where the debris came from--everything looked clean when I first put the loop together back in March, but this is what it collected in just over 3 months of use.

I honestly hadn't been paying that much attention to temps, and with the ambient temperature rising going into spring and then summer what increases there were I figured were environmental, but that obviously wasn't the case.

I don't suppose anyone has a link to an inline filter that can be cleaned without taking the loop apart? It seems like that would be a good investment.

Attachments

• 2005-07-09 - 003s.jpg
    2005-07-09 - 003s.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 365
  • 2005-07-09 - 004s.jpg
    2005-07-09 - 004s.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 345
My guess is that it's the dust that was inside the tubing when you first put the system together.

I took my WC system apart yesterday to replace my beermug as my res, and finally finished the T-line fitting nicely. I was thinking about the little specs of dust I can see inside the tubing.

I guess it could be, at least partly. But, there was also a bunch of "stringy" stuff, like actual thread fibers, in it so there was contamination from somthing else as well. I guess I'll take the G5 apart in a couple months and see if the same build-up is occuring again.

I'd still like to find a nice inline filter....

A filter would slow down the waterflow, not much, but that's probably why people don't bother... I would throw one in mine, though.

If I'd run across one I probably would have bought it. But, if such a critter exists--inline and "cleanable" without disassembling the loop--I sure would love a pointer.

FWIW, the filter shouldn't restrict flow very much if it isn't clogged... and if it is clogged, it should be cleaned. That's the whole purpose in having it to begin with.

Back