• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The "if your temps are too high" thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just a warning with the isopropyl alcohol, if you leave it in contact with any Lucite tops or acrylic reservoirs for longer than 5 minutes they will start to crack and get brittle.

So basically don't use it to rinse out your water blocks if they have clear tops :)

I found this out the hard way :(

I hate to rehash an old thread, but nobody seemed to mention the one factor that is most likely to affect us all to at least some degree.

Dust

Crack your case open every 4 months or so and vacuum, or blow out w/ compressed air, all of the dust bunnies in your case. Most importantly the radiator, but also all fans and paths of airflow. Be sure to do it with the comp powered down and something soft & non-conductive (just to be safe) to stop the fan blades from spinning during cleaning. Revving them up sounds cool but ruins bearings.

Jas said:
There are TWO sets of instructions, one for open core CPUs and ones with IHSs. The link posted was for closed core CPUs, like P4s and A64s.

People using an Athalon for instance have an open core, and should follow the instructions for open core chips (which is spreading the paste). Thsi is where peopel make mistakes, by following the wrong set of instructions.

I may be mistaken, but the instructions in the link are for different types of paste.

The first part is for 1,2, & 3.

This is to spread some of the paste into the inconsistencies of the surface area of the block.

The second part is for "All arctic silver versions.", wherein you apply the paste in the manner described above( small amount, and let the block/proc spread the compound when put together )

I am new at this, please correct me if I am wrong.

:bang head :bang head i still have problem with my WC. i tried everything! but my temp still 42. no oc yet.all stock, only one thing i think iv done wrong, i did use the acetone, is that a big deal thats why my temp is hot? or just my kit is so bad? or do i need to buy big rad? is that helpful? what rad is better? budget around $50. tnx

killuazaoldyeck said:
:bang head :bang head i still have problem with my WC. i tried everything! but my temp still 42. no oc yet.all stock, only one thing i think iv done wrong, i did use the acetone, is that a big deal thats why my temp is hot? or just my kit is so bad? or do i need to buy big rad? is that helpful? what rad is better? budget around $50. tnx
i see you have info in your sig, but it's always best to mention exactly what you have, or maybe a link to what you have (cooling-wise)...

is 42c your idle temp or your load temp? what did you use acetone for?? a rad isn't ALWAYS the answer... could also be the waterblock... could also be a weak pump... could also be a PHYSICAL bottleneck in your system (tight turn or pinch)...

for $50 you can actually get something nice. here is what i have:
http://www.dangerden.com/store/product.php?productid=2&cat=5&page=1

i got two 120x120x38mm fans on it, and it does an outstanding job for my system.

but... i don't know what size tubing you have. i got the 1/2" fittings... not sure what you'd need, but adapters are available, just don't have a link for one.

again, though, the rad may not be your answer...

------------------------------------------------------------

on a side note, my temps went up at least 7-8c idle... i'm gonna guess my Swiftech Storm needs to be cleaned again!!!!! Grrr.... I hate it cuz now I have to dismantle everything (no time)!!!!!!!!!!!

If your temps are too high please consider the following:

2) (Please read this before reading the rest of this thread) If you have a low flow pump and 2 waterblocks + a large radiator then the temps will be worse simply because the pump cannot push the water fast enough. My suggestion is to get a larger pump, however unless you are unstable or your temps are pushing 65C then there is no need for the larger pump.

Broken link.

Back