• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Newbie's Guide to Overclocking.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hurk, it is a sticky in the AMD FAQ. It says something like "For general information on overclocking click here" and the link is to this thread.

Last edited:
Well, it's a great guide, and it should have it's own sticky. I didn't look in AMD Faq cause... it's not a n00b guide to OCing =)

i haven't scrolled back through the older msgs but the L12 mod has regained momentum...i guess there are still issues with what boards it works with but i do know it works on my new gigabyte board and the nf-7s rev2.0 boards...i did the 400fsb mod to my 1700...

How did it turn out? IT's 3:00am here, so I will add something about the L12 mod and the 400Mhz FSB mod tomorrow. Thanks.

Keep the suggestions flowing!

it worked..when i set optimal settings (which came up as 133 when unmodded), they came up as 166 and 200 for each mod...there isn't an auto setting in this bios. you pick failsafe, which uses 100fsb and optimal which is now defaulted to 200...i'm gonna try and kick up the fsb now...it wasn't stable before at 220, so we'll see....

altec said:
Read it modena, and tell me if anything is wrong, confusing, misleading, etc...;)

Im not sure, I may have missed it, But from a few other forums I hang around.. n00bs (no offense to anyone he he.. ;) ) Like to Bump their OC up like 100-200mhz, then they always think they have to increase their voltage.. I can hit 1600Mhz fine with a k7s5a, no Vincrease needed(mobo fsb limit :CRY: )Just thought it would be useful to have in the guide.. :thup: )

what kinda cpu do i have?

i have an AthlonXP 2500+ cpu, but i havent seen anything in any of the forums about athlonxp, seen stuff like tbred, and names like that. is their other names for processors or somthing?

good job on the tutorials, got alotta info out of them. i overclocked my old pent2 from 266-333 with the info i got from this thread.

i want to oc my athlonxp, but im scarred, cuz it took me like 8 months to save up the money for my computer, and i don't want to mess it up.

gotta athlonxp 2500+ in an asus a7n8x-deluxe, and 512mb pc3200 ram. my cpu is at 1.09ghz right now, about how much faster could i get it, w/out getting expensive kooling devices and messin with the voltage? (just an estimate)

please don't mess with anything, read a lot of stickies before attempting to o/c :)
nice mb and proc (it's actually running at 1.8, not 1.09)
and yes, tbreads are athlons, athlons are a wide series of amd processors with various modifications on the core, your athlonxp is actually a barton.

Back