• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Newbie's Guide to Overclocking.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Re: what kinda cpu do i have?

USER_FRIENDLY said:
i have an AthlonXP 2500+ cpu, but i havent seen anything in any of the forums about athlonxp, seen stuff like tbred, and names like that. is their other names for processors or somthing?

good job on the tutorials, got alotta info out of them. i overclocked my old pent2 from 266-333 with the info i got from this thread.

i want to oc my athlonxp, but im scarred, cuz it took me like 8 months to save up the money for my computer, and i don't want to mess it up.

gotta athlonxp 2500+ in an asus a7n8x-deluxe, and 512mb pc3200 ram. my cpu is at 1.09ghz right now, about how much faster could i get it, w/out getting expensive kooling devices and messin with the voltage? (just an estimate)

Most of the CPU's that we talk about are in the AthlonXP line, we just leave that part out, since it is ecessive information. The t'bred's, bartons, palomino's and all of that are different core processes in the AthlonXP line. To get it high, you are going to need to tamper with the voltage, but dont worry too much, unless you do something drastically wrong, you will not mess up your computer. What cooling are you using now? It would be helpful to know so that I could give you an estimate on how high that CPU will go. Also, what are your temperatures with the cooler that you are using?

Thanks for complimenting my thread, and sorry I didnt get to answer your question earlier, I have been tied up and have not been able to get on the forums as much as I used to.

my cpu temp

i checked the temp of my cpu, and its 33C/91F.

and im not sure what kinda cooling or whatever i got, i just have the stock heat sink and fan that came with my cpu, and an exauhst fan that came with my case(im pretty sure its a decent fan, just cuz i got it home, and plugged it in and it was all colorfull)

ive been reading alot about over clocking in the forums, but not understading the stuff too good, i gotta be able to read something, then go try it out(which would mean rebooting) but i forget alot of stuff. what all do you need to mess with to mess with the speed? like, i know you gotta mess with the fsb, and the multiplier. and FSBxMultiplier=speed(at least on my pent2) correct me if im wrong.

thanks a whole lot for both yalls help, hopefully i can learn alot from yall and everyone on this site, and can maybe help others out too.

my 1.09ghz is a 1.8?

borg said:
please don't mess with anything, read a lot of stickies before attempting to o/c :)
nice mb and proc (it's actually running at 1.8, not 1.09)
and yes, tbreads are athlons, athlons are a wide series of amd processors with various modifications on the core, your athlonxp is actually a barton.

pretty sure its a 1.09ghz, and if your rounding it off, i think itd be a 1.1ghz.

if im wrong, clue me in on how you got 1.8ghz.

could you tell me how you figure out what kinda cpu you have?, i know i got a barton now, just wanna know how to tell.

thanks for you help homes

got my cpu to 2.21ghz

i went in and changed the fsb settings from 100 to 200, and left everything else alone, and my comps running fine at 2.21ghz.
havent done anything yet, like play games and stuff, but i ran prime95, and did the stress test and got

"FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.4995164871, expected less than 0.4 Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file."

then i read the stress.txt to see if i could figure out why i got the error, and it told me to come back here.

my cpu's temp neutral is about 53C, but was climbing fast when i was doing the stress test, got to about 59C, and the test ran for only 2 minutes, then i got the error.

anyone know why i might have got the fatal error during the test?

thanks for all the help

edit: i changed the fsb to 133, so my cpu is running at 1.47ghz now, and its fine.........for now. still wanna get it running solid at 2.0+, but gotta figure out why i got that error, think i need better kooling. only have 3 fans in my case, the fan on the processor, the one on my vid card, and the exaust.

Last edited:
You got the error because you CPU was not stable at the speed that you had it set to. I would bet that it had something to do with the air movement inside the case, and the CPU temperature. You should try to get a better heatsink if you can like the Thermalright SLK800 or SK-7 and a good 50+ CFM fan, and see if that helps. I would also suggest getting some more case fans to move more air inside your case.

If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask.

altec,
i just switched from running 221x11 to 207x12 and noticed that MBM5 reads the voltages that correspond to the bios now. before it always read the 12V @ 11.16 but now it's at 11.55....and my 5V was always at 5.00 and now fluctuates between 4.97-5.00...P95 stable for the last hour (which i couldn't do at 222x11) but i thought it was funny how switching bios settings affected my readouts...any thoughts?..or just one of the mysteries of oc'ing??? thanks, man.

That is a little odd. I'm not too sure why that is, maybe just one of the board's quirks, or maybe a BIOS quirck. Do you have the latest BIOS for your board?

using a modded bios...i haven't tried the new F7 as this bios works really well for me....gonna see if i can get 210x12 with tighter ram settings...when i was running 221x11, i was 9/4/4/2.5 cause that's all the ram could take...but under 220 i've been able to run 5/3/2/2 at 2.8 vdimm so we'll see....

I have been out of the loop for quite a while, and I was wondering if there is anything that I should update....thanks guys. ;)

s'up altec. Yeah, the new Bartons and Thoroughbred B's are now locked, should probably work that in there somewhere.

Thanks c627627, any more updates, I have been away for so long, I almost became not-interested in coming back :eek:

Back