• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Overclocking Buyers Guide

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks for updating the list. This wil come in handy with my computer purchase in a few weeks!

Budget PC build

Hey guys. I'm not exactly new to this, but I've been out of the loop for quite a while. I need to build a budget gaming rig...and fast. This only needs to hold me over for 6 months or so, while I save up some moolah for a decent one. I'm only working with about $400 or $500, but I don't need everything. I need a CPU, MOBO, RAM and GPU. I might need another PSU...haven't decided yet. Everything else I have.

My goal is to be able to play anything currently out there at medium settings (no AA, no AF). If I could come in under budget, that would be helpful too. My theory is to skimp as much as humanly possible on everything but the video card. I was thinking about an E8400, cheap as hell mobo, cheap but not value OCZ DDR2 memory 2GB and then go almost all out with a GTX275 or better. What do you think? Does that even make any sense, lol? Could I even skimp a little more on the CPU?

Anyway...I'd appreciate any help on the matter. Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

you've got the right idea, you'll want the best vid card you can afford, so start with that and then fill in the other pieces with what money you have left. Buying a budget mobo and budget ram will limit the amount you can overclock the processor but you'll still be in good shape.

Awesome...thanks. That's what I needed to hear. Do you think it would be safe to even skimp on the CPU a little more...maybe something along the lines of an AMD II X2?

You can browse around the net to see reviews and make sure you can get the frame rates you want, but the CPU won't make a huge difference. But that all depends on what vid card, what game, etc etc, so look for reviews or CPU charts to compare (tomshardware.com has cpu charts but they haven't been updated in a while)

A LOT of work went into this thread..no doubt! Is there another one more current?

There has been a request sent out for people to assist in updating it, but I don't think its been completed yet.

yeah i've been busy with other front page stuff and haven't had time to update it. If some one wants to take the reigns, please do.

Needs to be updated again.
You can buy a 300$ PC that will have an AM3 dual-core AMD CPU, 2GB of DDR2 800mhz ram and a decent low-end HTPC graphics card like the 9500GT or the HD4550.

yeah i've been busy with other front page stuff and haven't had time to update it. If some one wants to take the reigns, please do.

I wish I were more qualified to contribute, but I'm not. Changes hapen so fast its difficult.

I just ordered the EVGA Classified SR-2 (Super Record 2) 270-WS-W555-A1 LGA 1366 Intel 5520 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HPTX Intel Motherboard for my x5560's. I'm sure I'm "over my head" but hey I hope I have fun and don't burn it up!

all it takes is some one with time to compile all the information. you don't need to be an expert

^^^ very true. i was far from an expert when i started this, but you learn quick when you spend the time researching

I have a budget of 1000$ for Building a New Rig(Excluding Monitor)
So far I have come up with the following configuration
I know i can do better I need youre help
Case
Azza Spartan Gaming Case Black
Processor
AMD Phenom™ II X6 1055T Six-Core CPU
Processor Cooling
Liquid CPU Cooling System [AMD] - Standard 120mm Fan
Memory
4 GB [2 GB X2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair
Video Card
ATI Radeon HD 5770 - 1GB - Single Card
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-770T-USB3 -- AMD 770
Power Supply
600 Watt -- Standard
Primary Hard Drive
640 GB HARD DRIVE -- 64M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive
Optical Drive
24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black
Sound Card
3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
Network Card
Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + Office Starter 2010 (Includes basic versions of Word and Excel) - 64-Bit

PiaKanuga, that is a good start listing your components but the detail is insufficient for some items.

I can't tell what cooling product that is for the processor - it sounds like a generic name, and I would not buy anything generic. You want to buy things which you can look at reviews for, so you know what sort of performance to expect in real world situations.

The power supply also doesn't list a brand, and you cannot go by wattage ratings because they are notorious for being garbage. In a PSU, brand name and model number is everything, and if you can't find reviews on the PSU, then it probably uses poor quality components and only delivers a portion of the wattage it claims it can. I would not run the PSU if it comes with the case either, anything included with a case is also notorious for being garbage... Remember the PSU gives power to every other component you spend money on - trying to save a few bucks on the PSU might cost you in the long run.

Your motherboard is not what I would get, you can get good 890FX chipset boards for a decent price, so the 770 chipset likely isn't your preference unless you selected that for a specific reason. Otherwise, you want to find a 890FX/GX board for yourself.

Everything else looks pretty reasonable. Don't forget

The reason I dint put up any specific names for the PSU is because i dont really know whats good and i really need youre suggestions because ive build only one pc and that was 4 years ago.If I am looking for a computer I wanna run atleast for say 3 years I should have a good processor and motherboard right.I definately dont wanna lag so i believe the processor is an essential component should i keep it the same or should i upgrade.As far as Ive seen hows the Asus M4A87TD as a motherboard as its the essential part for expansion right.

Back