• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Susanoo beast lives!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dr.Feelgood

Registered
So, I have been dreaming up massive air cooler designs for some reason while also searching for bargain cpu coolers. That's when I stumbled across this thing (brand new) on ebay for a mere $40 obo with free shipping:

scythe_susanoo_5.jpg

susanoo-installed-large.jpg
Susanoo is a Japanese god of summer storms.

Now I know all you 'practical' folks out there will tell me how this thing will mess up the airflow of my case, and how much better water cooling would be, etc...

But look at it, it's a freaking monster. An oddity of cpu cooling that belongs in a overclocking museum or something. And I got if for $35, five more than a coolermaster evo212.

So, I'm not sure I should even attempt installing this thing-but I might. I'm thinking if I do, I will ditch the four fans for a single 200mm. Plus from what I've seen online these little 'slipstream' fans sell for about seven bucks a pop anyways. I can use those four little fans somewhere else...

Here is what I envision the best possible application for this could be other than just marveling at the thing:

APU build that has a case with a lot of mesh on the side (and one big enough this thing will fit in) so the air cools the ram and mb components in addition to the cpu- and the other case fans all blow outward. Such that all air comes in through the side, then blows over the board and then is pulled out.

Does anyone think this is actually a cooling solution that would get good results?
Also, I read that it's nearly impossible for a cooler to break the mb if installed correctly but this thing weighs 55 Oz!

Thanks in advance for the thoughts.

I'd think the VRM's in any modern system would thank you for a heatsink like that.

I'd only wonder if the heatsink and fan assmbly. are so tall the case side cover would
interfere w/the fans' intake.

Are those 120mm fans? Does this heatsink have 12 heatpipes?

NH-D14 outperforms it.

Its an old design from Scythe. Not worth it.

I just got this beast in the mail yesterday and it looks awesome.

It is tall, so I would only use it in a case that has a lot of side vents or maybe one that was extra wide. The fans are 100mm, and yes it has 12 heat pipes on it.

I'm planning to put it in my sister's build in a case that has a big mesh panel on the side. I think I'm going to screw the fans into the mesh to add extra support so the motherboard doesn't have to carry the whole load of it. I'm not sure it will fit, but I'll post back up with results.

The website says the max cooler height is 155mm, and this thing measures 158mm with the fans. At worst I may have to buy a slightly thinner 200mm fan, but I think the 3mm will give me enough wiggle room. From the looks of it, this case was made for this thing.

Here is the case she has:

XON-560_WT_Main.jpg

My only problem is, the case is matx and it has the best board I could find for her fx-6300 which is the asus M5A78L-M/USB3. I think this has only a 4+1 power phase on it, and it has no heatsinks on the VRM. Do you think with these fans blowing down on it I may be safe to try an overclock? Also, do you think it would be worth buying those little individual mosfet heatsinks they sell?

It only cost $35! Five more than a coolermaster hyper212 evo on sale!
Reviews have it outperforming way more expensive coolers.

I would take the 212 EVO any day.

The 212 Plus almost kept up with that thing, and the EVO blows the Plus out of the water.

I don't know why you have to hate on something just because it's a unique design.
I don't claim that it's the best cooler out there, and it's obviously not a practical one.

Look at this graph though- can you really claim that the 212 evo would out perform this beast? Even if it did, I like this cooler just because it's so dang crazy.

http://www.pureoverclock.com/wp-con...oling/scythe_susanoo/scythe_susanoo_temp2.jpg

I'd think the VRM's in any modern system would thank you for a heatsink like that.
Maybe in X79, otherwise, they don't need any air really in modern platforms...if it was needed, wouldn't you think that most/all would have fans on the vrms out of the box?

As far as that cooler... LOL, what a monstrosity! If you are going for unique, you got it. As far as performance goes. I am sure they measured that with the four fans. I have to imagine a 200mm fan, a thin one especially, will not remotely give you those same results. That said, should still work well, but LOL, holy cow is that thing fugly!

I like how silly this thing is, and I hope it fits well in my sister's build. I'm definitely not going for max performance here.

I'm wondering though, since her board has only 4+1 power without heatsinks if this thing could help cool the vrm down to help overclocking a bit?

It's silly alright!

Your sisters' build... what is it? Unless it is a modern intel CPU, you won't be able to do much overclocking on 4+1 with no heatsinks... O/C on such a cheap board is not a good idea. You should at least have the VRMs heatsinked.

It's silly alright!

Your sisters' build... what is it? Unless it is a modern intel CPU, you won't be able to do much overclocking on 4+1 with no heatsinks... O/C on such a cheap board is not a good idea. You should at least have the VRMs heatsinked.

4+1 is what my old ep45t-ud3lr had, the VRM's didn't have any heatsinks either.

If the VRM's fried would it be obvious?

It beats a Noctua DH-14 that isn't bad for a top-down cooler.

That case looks like it's made for the Susanoo.

I was going to try a top-down cooler for my i7-3820 build, but it couldn't
get the job done -- even outside the case and w/much higher power fans
attached.

She wanted to go with a mini-atx build, so we were limited in choices on our motherboards.

It's a FX-6300 cpu in a Asus M5A78L-M/USB3. Power supply should be pretty solid Rosewill 600 Watt and all we have is HD7750 for video.

This was what I thought was the best board availabe in mATX form for the FX series cpus. In retrospect I may bought a gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 because at least it has heatsinks on the VRM. I didn't know much about overclocking when I was building it, and I just saw that the gigabyte board claims to support only 1333mhz RAM. I was turned off by that.

She doesn't have much need to OC, but I like to play around with it just for fun.
Do you recommend zero overclocking without a heatsink even with these fans blowing down on it?

4+1 is what my old ep45t-ud3lr had, the VRM's didn't have any heatsinks either.

If the VRM's fried would it be obvious?

Did you do any oc'ing on that board? And I'm not sure if you would visibly be able to tell if anything was fried or not. BTW, if something did go awry would the CPU or just the MB get damaged?

Apple's to oranges comparison Mags. Intel from 4 gens ago vs modern amd...there can be no comparisons draw between the two.
You can usually see a damaged vrm, they sometimes make a show of it. :p

As far as the psu, it depends...rosewill was notorious for bad psus. It wasn't until recently the made a couple good ones. Which model specifically?

6300 on an unsinked 4+1... Not sure I would overclock much if at all and would out active cooling on it...which that monstrosity of a heatsink will accomplish.

I wouldn't try any OCing at all with any FX without at least a 6+2 VRM, if not an 8+2 VRM.

So, I have been dreaming up massive air cooler designs for some reason while also searching for bargain cpu coolers. That's when I stumbled across this thing (brand new) on ebay for a mere $40 obo with free shipping:

scythe_susanoo_5.jpg

susanoo-installed-large.jpg
Susanoo is a Japanese god of summer storms.

Now I know all you 'practical' folks out there will tell me how this thing will mess up the airflow of my case, and how much better water cooling would be, etc...

But look at it, it's a freaking monster. An oddity of cpu cooling that belongs in a overclocking museum or something. And I got if for $35, five more than a coolermaster evo212.

So, I'm not sure I should even attempt installing this thing-but I might. I'm thinking if I do, I will ditch the four fans for a single 200mm. Plus from what I've seen online these little 'slipstream' fans sell for about seven bucks a pop anyways. I can use those four little fans somewhere else...

Here is what I envision the best possible application for this could be other than just marveling at the thing:

APU build that has a case with a lot of mesh on the side (and one big enough this thing will fit in) so the air cools the ram and mb components in addition to the cpu- and the other case fans all blow outward. Such that all air comes in through the side, then blows over the board and then is pulled out.

Does anyone think this is actually a cooling solution that would get good results?
Also, I read that it's nearly impossible for a cooler to break the mb if installed correctly but this thing weighs 55 Oz!

Thanks in advance for the thoughts.

that thing's ultra super huge :shock:

I'll be stuck with the 120mm fans it I were U,
they might be noisier, but I bet with those deep fins, you'll need moar static pressure.

won't be too bad for the airflow as well, just use the top and rear as exhaust,
and yes the side panel opening will be mandatory.

should be interesting to see the temps,
keep us informed will ya :thup:

Did you do any oc'ing on that board? And I'm not sure if you would visibly be able to tell if anything was fried or not. BTW, if something did go awry would the CPU or just the MB get damaged?

I had my q9550 running at 503 * 8.5 = 4275.5, so yes, it was overclocked.

It could be the motherboard is dead, because when I tested it w/an old Pentium 4D it didn't come up. I'm not sure about the q9550 because I have no way of testing it.

I had a Athlon Thunderbird 1200 running at 1400 and when it died, it took out the motherboard with it.

So this thing actually installed beautifully in the case above for future reference. It fits just fine in some mATX cases, so it isn't so crazy huge after all. Mounts for the mATX board were so close to the cpu that the board didn't seem to flex much so I'm not worried about it breaking but I'll keep you updated if anything goes awry.

As far as oc'ing goes, I didn't have anytime to help my sister get it done after we installed the cooler and I was migrating her system to a new HD too. Sometime we will try it, and I will let the world know.

I'll probably monitor the temps on the mosfets though just to make sure I'm not going burn up her board. At system idle they were about 97 Fahrenheit so around 36 C (as measured with an infrared thermometer). I don't know if that means much since they weren't under load, but it's a reference point.

Back