• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Susanoo beast lives!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Susanoo Mini ATX build

Here are the pics. Still no overclocking data for you unfortunately. You can see the cooler actually fits perfectly in this case and has lots of ventilation to pull in fresh air. The front and rear fans are oriented to blow air out of the case. There are some zip ties to help support the cooler when in transit but there isn't any weight on them when the tower is not being moved.

Attachments

• 2014-02-12 16.11.28.jpg
    2014-02-12 16.11.28.jpg
    523.6 KB · Views: 97
  • 2014-02-11 19.43.35.jpg
    2014-02-11 19.43.35.jpg
    631.7 KB · Views: 99
  • 2014-02-11 23.17.39.jpg
    2014-02-11 23.17.39.jpg
    535.6 KB · Views: 93
  • 2014-02-11 23.19.48.jpg
    2014-02-11 23.19.48.jpg
    876.2 KB · Views: 93
  • 2014-02-11 20.07.09.jpg
    2014-02-11 20.07.09.jpg
    803.8 KB · Views: 92
I'll have to teach my sister a little about oc'ing before we will get much in the way of temps.

That does look nice. You really picked the right case for that fansink combo.

Does the Sussano stick up far enough that you install a PCIe video card underneath it?

I'd think a 200mm x 38mm would be a better fan for a thick heatsink like that, if they make
such a fan.

Thanks, it did turn out nicely and I'm glad that it fit in her case because I wasn't sure it would when I bought it. I'm not sure about a single 200mm fan vs the 4 100mm fans that it came with. I don't know much about fan physics but they seem to move a lot of air when you need them to. It came with a little knob that fits into a pcie slot and you can adjust as necessary. When all the way down (which it always is for now) it is really quiet.

Yes, I have a full height HD7750 in the build now which fits easily underneath it and that's all she needs for now. However I think (?) that video cards are a standard height and pretty much anything would fit underneath it.

Scythe makes mention that some pcie power connectors may be difficult to install if the card's connections stick up instead of sideways.

Nice hovercraft, but think I'd put a NH-D14 on it before even going near that thing :)

He he he.

:D

Looks clean though.

Last edited:
Nice hovercraft, but think I's put a NH-D14 on it before even going near that thing :)

He he he.

I've an old TEC cooler you could have cheap, I take it you're doing you're sister a disfavor.

:D

Looks clean though.

I've read a review on the susanoo that had it beating out the NH-D14, by one degree celsius under load and idle conditions.

I've read a review on the susanoo that had it beating out the NH-D14, by one degree celsius under load and idle conditions.

That could easily happen with a good/bad mount of either cooler.
Did they do multiple mounts and compare?

That could easily happen with a good/bad mount of either cooler.
Did they do multiple mounts and compare?
+1... Link please!

I believe its a solid cooler... but it damn well better be for its size and price though, LOL!

EDIT: Found it. I'd still rather have the Dark Knight than this monstrosity for 1/3 of the cost. :)
http://www.pureoverclock.com/Review-detail/scythe-susanoo/5/

Twice is better than once I suppose... no mention of how many mounts however.
To test the heatsink, we boot into Windows and let the system sit idle for 10 minutes, then measure temperatures. We load the CPU cores to 100% using Prime95 for 20 minutes and again, measure the temperatures. This entire process is done twice and then averaged to avoid any minor discrepancies that might occur. Ambient temperatures are kept at 21°C. CoreTemp was used to record all temperatures. The variance in temps were +/- 5 on the all 4 cores in each test and the temperatures are taken from the highest core reading(idle and load). They are finally reported to the nearest whole degree Celsius. All throttling and power saving features in BIOS are disabled.

Last edited:
OP -- where did you get that for $35?

It seems to me that the 200mm fan suggestion was interesting. I'd like to see what it could do as a passive heatsink.

OP -- where did you get that for $35?

It seems to me that the 200mm fan suggestion was interesting. I'd like to see what it could do as a passive heatsink.

I did some looking at 200mm fans. I couldn't find any that had a high static
pressure. I had always thought a high static pressure was a good thing on high
fin density heatsinks.

I wouldn't call that high fin density personally... and there are not a lot of 200mm fans on the market, even less with good static pressure as that size isn't really suitable, nor is there a large enough market for them.

I just randomly looked on eBay one day and discovered the beast. I had to browse around reviews a bit to decide if it was even worth the $35 (it was in brand new condition with free shipping too!).

I figured even if it didn't work amazingly it would be fun to own what is possibly one of the largest heatsinks ever released to consumers. I haven't done any testing with her rig yet, but someday I will report some numbers for you. I do think that her case is pretty much ideal for this heatsink design since it has a lot of air flow through the side and the fans sit very close to the side to pull fresh air in.

Obviously the Susanoo would not work well in many instances, although the logistics of the size/installation were not as daunting as people made it out to be in forums. I'm not sure about stressing the MB, some had mentioned they thought this would break one. However, the board didn't flex much because the cooler mounted very close to where the board mounted to the case, and the zipties will help it stay in place for when is moved around.
The RAM she has is massively tall, and it fits underneath the cooler in the 2nd closest slot. It doesn't interfere with most videocards, and many cases will fit a 160mm height cooler and this is 157ish with the fans on.

If you like to get inside your case and tinker around all the time swapping out components then it could be a pain in rear to have it installed. My 'sis on the on the other hand will probably never open it back up until we replace the gpu sometime or I convince her to pick up a ssd.

If you have a lot of ventilation on the side of the case it is not a bad option since performance is reported to be top notch (for air cooling), and installation really isn't the feat that some people assumed it would be. I would consider picking one up, especially if you can get one on the cheap ;)

Dr. Feelgood, what are you doing about filtering the air coming into the heatsink through the
sidecover?

Nothing right now. That is a good consideration though, would you recommend something?

Nothing right now. That is a good consideration though, would you recommend something?

It's a large area so maybe you could use an air cleaner off of a car. Maybe something that was used on a big V8 -- like a 440 charger. Although that might not even be big enough. Maybe your sister wouldn't like that look though.

What are the dimensions of the vented area on the side panel?

It's almost too bad that system is going to your sister.

Back