• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Truth Behind Winbond UTT (OCZ Vx)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
kiljaden5 said:
you mean chances of getting a non-UTT are slim to none with the non-SP ones?
From my understanding of the matter, abeit I am NOT positive. Current Twinmos is being for the most part directally pulled from the winbond silicon being produced by Infineon in their fabs. So I would say the odds of not getting UTT are slim to none with any of the stuff found at newegg..

So the 512 pc3200 twinmos from newegg should be UTT you're saying? If so, I may just grab one and take the chance. If it's not I can hold onto it and sell it to a customer for a MINOR loss.

g0dM@n said:
So the 512 pc3200 twinmos from newegg should be UTT you're saying?
Im not 100% positive, but if you are gonna go for any crapshoot THIS would be the one to bet on.

TMSP has a lifetime warranty as well. I'd put more faith in OCZ's warranty though, particularly since it's up to 3.5v.

Anyone planning on running their TMSP at anything under 3v? :santa:

I'd think they'd get alot hotter than they do. I put a 92mm fan over them, but even without it they're not all that hot even seeing 3.4v+. I believe they're cooler than my TCCD was at 2.7v. They must have drastically different power consumption profiles. Perhaps higher resistance to current flow than TCCD.

TimoneX said:
I'd think they'd get alot hotter than they do. I put a 92mm fan over them, but even without it they're not all that hot even seeing 3.4v+. I believe they're cooler than my TCCD was at 2.7v. They must have drastically different power consumption profiles. Perhaps higher resistance to current flow than TCCD.
Thats just typical winbond tech, no one is really sure why they dont get hot. Perhaps a older process?

Perhaps. I know TCCD is unusual in that it has unusually low resistance and as a result dislikes voltage as much as it does. I know the sticks I had would get really hot at anything over 2.75v in memtest and I was measuring only 2.55v at that point.

Yer toys got delayed a couple days sen? I know yer chomping at the bit. :)

Sentential said:
Ummmm .... lol no. That aint gonna happen on these forums.
Well, actually...uhmmmm....I way have to run them at 2.85 till I can afford get the OC Booster. The truth be known I ble my ram budget on a flat screenlcd monitor. My logic was at least I'd see a difference betwween that and my CRT. The difference between 512mb of ram and 1 nig of ram is bit more obscure. Dear lord of ramdom please forgive my trespass against thee! LOL (Please no emails, no religious sacrilege was meant or implied. I was just being silly, which I am frequently)

Sentential said:
From my understanding of the matter, abeit I am NOT positive. Current Twinmos is being for the most part directally pulled from the winbond silicon being produced by Infineon in their fabs. So I would say the odds of not getting UTT are slim to none with any of the stuff found at newegg..

would this mean that
http://www.chiefvalue.com/app/productdetails.asp?submit=property&item=20-218-062
is also UTT?

I heard from a few sources that chiefvalue is a sister company to newegg (it makes sense too considering same stock numbers, same items in stock, etc)... myself living in NJ, chiefvalue saves me about $15 in shipping and tax charged newegg would charge

man, gotta order tonight..

downside of this, I can't stall adjusting the 3.3v rail in my psu anymore after getting this ram (at current setting my dfi only goes up to 3.2vdimm) :beer:

Back