• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Ultimate College Student Mod [Death Row for 56K]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cerberus2k7

Drifto Mexicano
Greetings and salutations to all of the OCers out there. Recently my roomate and I started a project out of desperation. What was expected to be a lame excuse for a case turned out to be the one of the coolest things witnessed by man.

This all started out when my roomate was getting low FPS in CS:S and wanted more. He had an Emachines at the time and didnt allow any overclocking. And so being the freak that I am, I found an Abit NF7-S rev. 2 from sir Apex_top_9 and picked that up. I test fitted the board and WHAT THE HELL!?!? It doesnt fit! Damn Emachines...My trusty Dremel couldnt cut the case to fit the board so something had to be done...and fast! I looked around in haste and saw the perfect solution to a college student. Cup o' noodle boxes! It was a perfect fit for the most part, but how would I fit the PSU and CD-ROMs? Easy. Add another box! this is the big mac of PC mods to date and there are more pics, but gotta get them developed since we found the long lost digicam in the depths of Shockwaves room at the end of the mod. But it's working well, got some good temps, and it's got lights! Muahahahaha! Anyways...On with the pics!

Picture010.jpg

Test fitting the PSU and CD-ROM. The mobo and HDD sit underneath and you can kinda see the mobo under the big "T" which we couldnt decide if it would be best to use it as a Boba Fett mask, or Magneto mask.

Picture011.jpg

When I first put it together, the only fan was the PSU fan and CPU fan so there was no real airflow in the case. This posed an overclocking problem with the high temps and added instability that came with it so something had to be done! I got my spare 80mm blower that is used on the CM Aero 7+ line and a generic 80mm Tri-LED fan and started mapping out how the airflow would run through the case.

Solution?

Picture013.jpg

The blower in the back hits the CPU and RAM while the blow hole is right over the video card to take the heat away from that properly. So far the temps are great! See the little knob on top by the PSU? That's the integrated fan controller! Take that Lian-Li!

Picture004.jpg

The front of the case. got the DVD-ROM and front USB and firewire ports just like any other case has. But these are much better :D

Picture003.jpg

DVD-ROM open. We even got the flap on the box to open with the door to give it that stealth look. ^_^

And since this mod is just soo cool and incase someone breaks into our high tech apartment and steals his comp, they will have a hard time getting his comp to work for two reasons.

One: You have to use a knife or metal object to touch the jumpers on the mobo to even get it to start and two...

Picture005.jpg

We have a hidden door to stealth the main ports! True Mexican escape route status... <.<

And at the end...the light show!

Picture014.jpg

More pics to be up soon!

-Cerb

Last edited:
Well, it's a stock cooler and I had to use some cheap *** TIM, but gonna upgrade that next. But as of now, temps are 38ºC Idle and 50º Load after 5 hours of Prime. With heavy CS:Sing, it's around 45ºC

That is definitely the "ghettoist" mod ever. But that seriously kicks ***.

Yes but this wasnt a "planned" mod like all the others. I was just going to swap out the mobo and keep the emachines case but the damn thing didnt fit! This mod was on the fly ^_^

One thing...you do reallize that cardboard boxes like that pick up a lot of static...so there is a good chance of ESD ruining that setup...especially if you keep it on the carpet...

Not the box itself...but the fine layer of dust that is on it will create the ESD...

Back