• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED The Water-Cooled System picture thread v2.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
For me, loop servicing is just easier with soft tubes. There is no compromise in cooling, just looks, but i am happy with that, so will stick to soft tubing now.
I have a feeling that in about 5 years, I will be in that same position. As it stands, I would love for this system to last me 8 years, 10 if possible, but I'm doubting that.

After the 5 year mark, my youngest should be old enough that I can put a tower "on the floor" (on a stand) again, and use the Thermaltake Core V71 TG, at which time soft tubing will be my go to.

Hard line is purely for show, and makes sense when the tower is on the desk, but not so fun to service... The EK Torque fittings have one of the two orings about 1/16" from bottoming out, then the second ring at the top, under the ring. So ensuring each tube is fully inserted before tightening the ring is a little more obvious than other fittings I have used with the o-rings almost stacked on top of eachother, making it a little less obvious when the tube is completely seated.

Last edited:
I have a feeling that in about 5 years, I will be in that same position. As it stands, I would love for this system to last me 8 years, 10 if possible, but I'm doubting that.

After the 5 year mark, my youngest should be old enough that I can put a tower "on the floor" (on a stand) again, and use the Thermaltake Core V71 TG, at which time soft tubing will be my go to.

Hard line is purely for show, and makes sense when the tower is on the desk, but not so fun to service... The EK Torque fittings have one of the two orings about 1/16" from bottoming out, then the second ring at the top, under the ring. So ensuring each tube is fully inserted before tightening the ring is a little more obvious than other fittings I have used with the o-rings almost stacked on top of eachother, making it a little less obvious when the tube is completely seated.

My problem was, i did a bend, which was a bit close to the end of the tube.
so when it was inserted into the fitting, the inner bend radius, made the tube not right in the fitting, which leaked, down the back of the vertical GPU (gtx1080ti) killing it, and because it was at the back, the water shorted the 12v lines on the PCIe extender, killing the board(z390) too.

Gutted, but i learned my lesson as i had ben using soft tubing for ages with the system with no problems. vanity made me switch to hard tubes.

My CPU and GPU temps are 3c above ambient idle and no more than 60c for both loaded, so totally happy with soft tubes.

Here is what it looks like now, flow rate is 168LPH with a DDC. Had a D5 but it was vibrating and driving me insane.

IMG_0134.JPG

How would i improve it?
"...increase the flow"

Turn the pump up... or get a better one? Isnt 1 GPM = 240LPH? It's an awesome build but nkt sure why the flow rate seems low... maybe it's just me??

I see 90 degree bends (barbs) all over... maybe that's part of the reason?

"...increase the flow"

Turn the pump up... or get a better one? Isnt 1 GPM = 240LPH? It's an awesome build but nkt sure why the flow rate seems low... maybe it's just me??

I see 90 degree bends (barbs) all over... maybe that's part of the reason?

I guess i could lose the bends but the loop would not be so tidy, but would improve flow i guess.

I do have a second pump, a little barrow DDC type. Could i just somehow integrate that into the loop?
IMG_0147.JPG IMG_0148.JPG

How would i improve it?
To be honest, if you're at 60°C at full load, there is no need to change anything.

But to answer your question, increasing your pump speed if it's available is the easiest option. Other options are to reduce restriction. Eliminate or reduce the number of 90° fittings would be my second choice. Finally, you can either use a stronger pump or less restrictive water blocks/radiators, though this is likely not an option.

Nice looking build.

To be honest, if you're at 60°C at full load, there is no need to change anything.
This.......!

Sorry, yes.. temps are already great (what testing is that to only see 60C on your CPU?)... but I saw the flow rate was hella low compared to what we ask for.

This.......!

Sorry, yes.. temps are already great (what testing is that?)... but I saw the flow rate was hella low compared to what we ask for.

Tbh i don't think it's that bad even with CPU at 100%. i can try and see what it's like. I am not really in benchies R23 etc, any more so as long as temps are ok for gaming and general use it's fine for me.
Post magically merged:

Nice looking build.

Thank you.

Wish it didn't cost so much though.

Tbh i don't think it's that bad even with CPU at 100%. i can try and see what it's like. I am not really in benchies R23 etc, any more so as long as temps are ok for gaming and general use it's fine for me.
Indeed.

Typically people run worst case scenarios (stress tests) to see what's up... but if that's all you're doing, and temps are fine, no need to touch anything. Im guessing the amount of radiator you have helps out a ton here with slow flow. :)

Indeed.

Typically people run worst case scenarios (stress tests) to see what's up... but if that's all you're doing, and temps are fine, no need to touch anything. Im guessing the amount of radiator you have helps out a ton here with slow flow. :)

The amount of radiator is a bit overkill i think, but at the time seemed a good idea.

I think it's good if you have room for it, especially if the thick rad does well with low fan RPMs. For future builds definitely consider more gradual 90 degree bends, or 45's, especially under the pump where you have it going 90 one way and 45 the other. Also sometimes flow meters are (ironically) the most restrictive part of the loop. I tried to use one on my loop, but it never worked so I just pulled it. I ended up running some kind of GPU stress/benchmark and logging temps to set my pump speed.

Honestly in my opinion, your 168LPH (about .7GPM), is just fine for reaching the point of diminishing returns with modern blocks. Under .5 is getting weak, and getting over 1GPM is really hard hydraulically without a strong pump or dual pumps. In my test loop with just a 360GTS and a very restrictive Optimus V1 block, it barely broke 1GPM with a D5 at max. An 18W DDC might do it but they're whiney little things.

If you want to boost your flowrates a bit for no money, I would take out as many 90deg fittings as possible. Might not be a huge improvement, but it would help a bit.

Anyone game for shelling out for a 24V Iwaki monster to test?

Maybe it's dated info, but all of the water cooling stickies (from Skinnee Labs testing) requested 1-1.5 GPM for best results. Diminshing returns above and below. Clearly for this user it's not a huge deal, but, that was always the rule of thumb. IIRC, D5s were spec'd to pump 1,500 LPH on "5". Unless there was a kink in the tubing, not sure how you couldn't reach 1 GPM. They had good head pressure too (almost 4m).

I know some people get het up about my flow rate, but for me, its temps that matter. I may try and remove some 90's and see what difference it makes, but don't fancy having big loops of tubing all over.

In the end, it's temps that matter. You're over radded and it's likely helping a bit. That said, you aren't running stress tests so no idea how it's really working (we compare against worst case, typically so 'just gaming' data sets aren't common). But I know you'd be fine there too (again 2x360mm rad for ~300W 2x plenty). Just was alarming to see such low flow.

When replying initially, I didn't mean to give off the vibe that the temps weren't good. I just know what all of the stickies have said for years and that flow rate was low. Temps can likely be improved, but, I wouldn't chase after the couple of degree difference it makes.

Back