• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermal pads, is there really any difference?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Tossing in my 0.02 cents on this :)
I replaced the stock EK pads on my 3 R9 290X's with the Fuji 11 W/mk pads and used the supplied TIM on the IC's the pads covered. I received a 6c - 8c drop in temps on my video card :) When I use a back plate on my card, I use the 17 W/mk pad (IIRC the size is 40x40 or 60x60 - limited trimming needed if any) over the GPU CORE and the 11 W/mk pads at the other locations. This dropped my TOTAL temps by 10c - 12c. Some will say it's not worth it, while others will say that any improvement is a higher overclock. :thup:

GELID GC-Extreme was rated 4th OVER ALL by HWbot in a test last year against 44 other types of TIM. The only TIMs that bet it where 3 different types of Liquid Metal. They said that even though the LM was superior, it was a B to apply and even worst to clean off.

MM

well doesnt the temp drop speak for itself ?

i always check the tims, you never know no matter what is said when you buy it is what youre gunna get, so many times its as hard as a rock, both tim and thermal pads or thermal tape as i call it, i buy a square of it and cut me own to suit , ive never had any dramas with it, so i reckon yours is as good is

Back