• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E Extreme Vs Noctua Dh-14

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Topic? And also whats top tier thermal paste?:shock:

I did a quick search and looked at some reviews and they point to the Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E Extreme as being a few degrees cooler. They are both very good coolers and are probably the best on the market. The Noctua will be quieter (they have extremely quiet fans. high quality). You looking for straight performance go with the Thermalright.

For thermal paste I would say the noctua thermal paste is the top dog. It doesnt have a break in period and gives excellent results. just a small dabble in the middle and wah lah!! thats all you need!! :clap:

I love my silver arrow, its about 1.5 y.o. and keeps my i5-2500k under 56C in the hardest of games, under 60 in P95

And its super quiet. I just hope the fan bearings don't get noisy. And give it love, I use the vaccum and a tooth brush on it every few months, which reminds me...

SA SB-E Extreme is about 8c cooler than SA SB-E. If you keep the fans at normal speeds they are the same volume as TY-140/141 fans. It's only above 1300rpm that they become louder.

jump in to 3:40 for results

i7 3820 @4.75GHz
Temperature is delta.

H100 . . . . . . . . . 41c 2500rpm. . . . . . . . . . 55dBA 2x
SA SB-E . . . . . . . 42c 1100rpm & 1300rpm 38dBA TY-150 & TY-141
SA SB-E Extreme 34c 2500rpm. . . . . . . . . . 56dBA 2x TY-143

The only difference between the SA SB-E and SA SB-E is the fans. Im not sure if we can link other review sites here but Xbitlabs has a review of it there. Honestly back to the original point, its probably going to be close but the Noctua is designed to be quiet while the new fans on the Extreme are far from quiet. Kinda of comparing apples to oranges.

No, it's like comparing little apples to big apples from same tree. Taste the same and if you only eat as much big apple as a whole little apple it give you the same amount of apple and you have some left over.

Xbitlabs tests were ran
We tested all coolers inside a closed system case with the following configuration:
System case: Antec Twelve Hundred (front panel: three Noiseblocker NB-Multiframe S-Series MF12-S2 fans at 1020 RPM; back panel: two Noiseblocker NB-BlackSilent PRO PL-1 fans at 1020 RPM; top panel: standard 200 mm fan at 400 RPM);

I would love to know what the air temperature was 3-5cm in front of cooler intake fan during the tests and not just the 22.6-23c along side of case.

I'm betting the temperature in front of the coolers was way higher running 2500rpm cooler fans than it was running 1200rpm and that's why the scores are what they are.

The case fans moved the same air regardless of what the cooler fans were moving. At 1200-1300rpm cooler fan speed the case removed most of the hot exhaust from coolers.. But the 2500rpm fans were moving almost twice as much air through the cooler. Where was that extra cfm going? My guess is it was mixing with case air and making it much hotter.. like 8-10c hotter. The result of that is the cooler can't remove as much heat from CPU and is the same 8-10c hotter than it would be if cooler was getting cooler air.

The results and link I gave are open air testing. No case involved. So the air going into cooler was the same temperature for all testing no matter how fast the fans ran.

SA SB-E has a TY-141 741300rpm/21dBA max. and a TY-151 84cfm/1100rpm/34dBA max
SA SB-E Extreme has 2x TY-143 1300rpm/21dBA 130cfm/2500rpm/45dBA

Run the SA SB-E Extreme below 1300rpm max and it cools the same as and is no louder than SA SB-E or SA SB-E SE and you have more fan rpm/CFM to use if you need it to cool more.

I'm running a SA SB-E Extreme and TC14PE with TY-143's on both. Can hardly hear them running during stress testing because the never go above 1000rpm or 50c. ;)

http://www.xbitlabs.com/picture/?sr...lright-silver-arrow-sb-e/zchart_table_big.png

There we go, the Thermalright SA SB will beat the Noctua NH D-14 by 1.3C and do it with slightly more noise at 1.3 decibels. This is of course referring to the original SA-SB. With the new fans it will just increase the headroom at the expense of noise. Thats fine with me, the more head room the better!!!!!!!

The new fans (TY-143) seem to be a nice example of high performance and good acoustics.

Don't forget you will need extra case cooling cfm to use the extra cooler cooling cfm

Back