• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermalright SLK-900 - the BEST heatsink available!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Thermodynamic

I am using an Athlon XP 2100+ Tbred-B CPU AIUHB0304, green color (not brown).

Thermalright SLK-900U heatsink with Vantec Tornado 92MM 119 CFM fan. I went to Thermalright's website to confirm my motherboard was tested OK. The Asus A7V333 is fully compatible, no bending of capacitors is required! :D

Much to my dismay, the unit did NOT come with instructions, so I guessed at how the Socket-A bits were put together. As my results will show, my instincts were correct. I had accidentially tightened one of the bolts in too tight and warped the screw socket. So I used a needlenose to hold the bolt while I screwed in the spring-loaded screw into it. I will eventually get some glue and seal the bolt to the mobo, but it's working just fine. It's strange because I had stopped applying pressure just at the time I broke it. :-( Wonderful timing...

Clock, FSB, voltage: 13x166, 1.75V.

Layer of Arctic Silver III applied.

With room temperature at 26 degrees C:

CPU Idle temp = 33 degrees C.

CPU Load temp = 36 degrees C.

Mobo temp: stable at 28 degrees C throughout entire test.

Temps were taken via Asus Probe v2.17.00.

CPU Idle = Cold Boot into Windows XP, let sit for 5 minutes.

CPU Load = Truespace 3 complex model (300MB) rendering for 10 minutes - temperature during this period increased, albeit slowly.

Who needs water cooling? The SLK-900 is tons cheaper and is just about as good. I LOVE IT!!!

Incidentially, here are the specs for a Swiftech MCXC370 at the same clock, FSB, and voltage:

CPU Idle = 49 C

CPU Load = 56 C

Obviously, this is an incredible difference. (When I originally installed the MCXC370, I installed it lopsided; temps got MUCH hotter than those I've listed. Reseating it lowered the temps by 11 degrees to what you see above.)

Now I wait until summer; I live in the 3rd level of a 3 story apartment building and the apartment can get rather warm. (usually 76-80 during the winter, 80-90 in the summer with A/C running!)

I purchased an SLK-800 a few weeks ago... The copper part is the same as the 900... and I'll agree. AFter installing this new sink, with just a 3000rpm 80mm fan, temps dropped nearly 10C as compared to an OCZ Goliath.

LOL yeah that fan is quite loud. Pushes alot of air tho.

I dont think really cool temperatures is everyones reason for water cooling, having little to no sound would be nice. I have a delta 7k rpm fan and when i go to sleep i feel like its night time when im on a plane traveling somewhere.

i don't quite get this idea that water cooling is silent. i mean, i have a loud tornado 80mm, 84.1 cfm fan, but i also have 4 , almost as annoying case fans too. and i can't imagine running a water cooler for some components and then neglecting sufficient case air for my dvd, cdrw, and hdd's, ram and so on. besides that, a lot of watercoolers are running 1 or 2 huge 120mm fans to cool the water. so, i dn't see the problem comparing a case with loud fans and a 92mm fan on the cpu, to a watercooled setup, and in my opinion, without going with external watercooling with hoses running away from the pc, and without choking the rest of the system of it's air....you won't have a silent pc with water

i'm not bashing water, i want to try it myself, but i will keep sufficient case cooling for everything else, and i'm sure if i have a rad, it'll have fans....so much for silence.

so, ummm, since silence isn't the benefit, what is the benefit of watercooling now? especially if folks are getting the same results with the slk-900?

:) ;)

kevmarks said:
Nice if you can find a motherboard that it will fit on :D

hmmm, good point. i hope it fits my at7-max2, if i still have this board when the slk-900 comes down in price a bit.:)

most 120mm don't make more than 38dB. Then you have to get the air out. PS fans, and a couple 80mm's making only about 38dB. Not much noise there.

I keep forgetting that noise is a common concern! It's not all that loud, really.

With tinnitus affecting my hearing, I prefer having white noise in the background. I've never really given the noise consideration a serious thought.

And with size being an issue, I can see why more people get the SLK-800. I should find some benchmarks, I'd guess that the SLK-800 with a 80MM Tornado would produce nearly as good results (but is $20 cheaper...)

But compared to a good water cooling solution, which costs $300 and more, the SLK-900 w/ Tornado fan really is a steal by comparison.

But I should find the review I read which featured a SLK-900 with 55 CFM 92 MM fan compared to a 84 CFM 80 MM fan. As I recall, the difference in temp was about 4 or 5 degrees, with the 84 CFM fan taking the lead of course...

Thermodynamic said:

But compared to a good water cooling solution, which costs $300 and more, the SLK-900 w/ Tornado fan really is a steal by comparison.

I love those tornado fans, they push so much air. BTW, I didn't even spend half of $300 (about $120) which is still more than a SLK but it cools my video card also and gets lower temps and I can't really hear my system at all.

Thermodynamic said:

WHOA!!! Settle down there, watercooling can be less than $100 if you do some home-brew stuff, and only like $150 max if you don't

-Dae-

[EDIT]

ya, okay, totally didn't see the post before mine :p

Agreed. I just got the SLK 800 today, and going by that alone, the 900 must be the best AIR cooled heatsink out there...

Today I made 2 changes...

I replaced my Kingston HyperX PC3000 with HyperX PC3500 (max OC with the PC3000 was 189 fsb x 12).

I also replaced my Volcano 9 with an SLK-800 and a Tornado 80x80x35 (84 cfm).

Under identical circumstances, my temps went from 42 @ idle and 49.5 under load (P95), to 29 @ idle and 34 under load (P95).

But thanks to the new DDR I am now running stable at 209 fsb x 11 (2308 mhz), and my temps are 35 @ idle and 42 under load (P95).

Needless to say, I am quite impressed. The Volcano 9 had a 75 cfm ThermalTake Fan and a decent copper based heatsink. But a drop of 13+ degrees C under like circumstances, and a drop of 7 degrees C with a INCREASE in Overclock is impresive.

DeathONator said:
What kind of temps would you get w/ a 60CFM fan do you think? Anyone with a setup like that?

What VCore you wanna run your cpu at?

slk10.jpg

slk11.jpg

Installed on Asus A7N8X. I had to bend few things here and there to make it fit. Recommend? Not on Asus A7N8X board.

I got a 92mm tornado fan also but noise is my only issue. Got 4 other case fans running pretty loud. I'm definitely looking into water cooling.

[Tjack]kfunk... you avatar brings back bad memories... htough im not sure wether its from being scared pooyless of the horrible movie or the scaryness of hte movie[/Tjack]

I love scary movies. It plays with your mind. Very twisty movie. That's why I love it! :)

Back