• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermalright SLK-900 - the BEST heatsink available!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So whats the installation of the SLK900 like? Is it just bolt on or do you have to modify your motherboard? I have an Asus A7V333 I'd like to use with this.

kfunk said:

The Ring.........

i ddint like it really not cuz it was scary but the story like had a bazzilian holes in it and it was kinda stupid

as for the installation there is no modification needed, you just need to take you board out... there should be holes on your board around hte zif socet you just mount it with those (unless you have a P4 then ihtink you have hte option of usinghte default mounting :D):D

Last edited:
I have to agree with you Thermodynamic, this is really Great HS!!!

...with a very quiet Sunon 92mm 49Cfm I got 34 degree C @full load folding very hard with my [email protected] 1.95v, was 41C with Millennium Glaciator II (lapped).

Adriano :)

The Doors said:
I have to agree with you Thermodynamic, this is really Great HS!!!

...with a very quiet Sunon 92mm 49Cfm I got 34 degree C @full load folding very hard with my [email protected] 1.95v, was 41C with Millennium Glaciator II (lapped).

Adriano :)

34 C Full Load w/ 49cfm fan? I get that with a 119cfm fan; w/ lot more noise

The way the accuracy of the motherboard sensors vary from board to board, it's difficult to truly compare temps... it could be a real difference in temperatures or it could be that the one reads a little high while the other reads a bit low. And there's also ambient and case temps to consider as well. It really doesn't matter though, there's no cure for this addiction. :p

Well,
I got this temp with an ambient temp of 21 degree C, and using some Case fans...

Intake:
2 Sunon 49Cfm 92mm (left panel) blowing onto PCI/AGP/CPU
1 Sunon 42Cfm 80mm (front/low)

Exhaust:
1 Sunon 42Cfm 80mm (up/back)
1 Sunon 90Cfm 120mm (top)
1 Enermax PS fan

Adriano

kfunk said:

34 C Full Load w/ 49cfm fan? I get that with a 119cfm fan; w/ lot more noise

Watercooling is quieter. You just get quiet fans and put them on the things to be cooled. Typically the radiator fan is the intake for 60+ CFM, I put a slow 80mm in my hard drive cage. My video card already has a fan (of course) and my case came with a side blow hole that I 5-7volted (eventually will be on a voltage reg.) So even with a lot of fans spot cooling needed components as well as veting the entire case, it's very quiet.

Anyway, I'm positive you are correct about that being the best air cooler. I would definately reccomend that sucker to friends who want to start overclocking.

Oh... Put a 120mm blowhole in the side of the case blowing on to the heatsink and you will see even better temps. I've done this with 3 computers and each has shown a 3-5c difference. Works especially well with under-powered HSF's, though.

The Doors said:
Well,
I got this temp with an ambient temp of 21 degree C, and using some Case fans...

Intake:
2 Sunon 49Cfm 92mm (left panel) blowing onto PCI/AGP/CPU
1 Sunon 42Cfm 80mm (front/low)

Exhaust:
1 Sunon 42Cfm 80mm (up/back)
1 Sunon 90Cfm 120mm (top)
1 Enermax PS fan

Adriano

My temps are on my sig

i cant say enugh good things about my SLK 800 with 80mm smart fan. lowered my temps by 8deg replacing a zalman 6000 flower with 92mm fan. i found the installation relatively easy as i didnt have to remove MB. i also took the sensor from the smartfan and stuck it between the fins on the slk 800 and this raised my rpm's by a couple hundred. cool huh!

Uhmmm...
that's really strange, there are different ways which can casue higher temps on your chip:

- TBred-A and not B (I'm not experienced about A series)
- Unbalanced Intake & Exhaust in your Case set
- SLK not perfectly seated
- too much thermal paste.....

Adriano

kfunk said:
Oh yea that's w/ a aluminum case

HOLY COW, i just installed it and tested my temps

Before:
CPU idle: 43C
CPU Load: 49C

After:
CPU idle: 33C
CPU load: 38C

I couldnt be any happier, this is with the Vantec Tornado fan

I've been waiting for 2 weeks for Thermalright to send me a spare X bracket. Sigh...... No overclocking for 2 weeks. It's a torture!

My X bracket? It's just sitting around. Can't use it because two of the holes got dethreaded.

Stripped?

kfunk said:
My X bracket? It's just sitting around. Can't use it because two of the holes got dethreaded.

LMAO...!!!:D you mean you stripped the holes? ;) :D

Last edited:
Back